Small compost trial.

oldtimer1

Squirrel rock dust is Volcanic Basalt , a by-product of the quarrying industry, it contains more than 78 mineral and trace elements, as a point this is the base the most fertile soils were made of when it was first formed before farming depleted it of a lot of its minerals.

For more answers read this page!

I find pinetum rock dust works better in compost than the seer rock dust, but both are effective.

I’m using a pre release inoculant, no name, it was sent to us to test, Its a granular biological inoculant for adding to both compost and soil to populate it with best mix of micro life.

Not heard from them in an age, I hope they are still extant because it is a good product and I’m running low.

Neither are essential, but the rock dust contains virtually every mineral that was ever present in soil and the plants really seem to like it. The inoculant is a collection of the most plant friendly bacteria and fungi that have been found and extracted from the most fertile soils, cultured and blended into a dry spore mix, like dried bread or wine yeast is, but for adding to soil to bring it to life instead of making bread. These two products really add something very good and seem to work well together. With them the plants are just healthier and more resilient.

I sieve to fluff the compost back up and get the crumb structure back, it gets compressed stacked on pallets knocking all the air out of it, I also remove any big stones or hard lumps.

Redgrotto I have to test the compost as is for now, to be valid it has to be one step at a time. I will not know how often rewatering will be needed until they are settled in the final pots or if any one compost will need watering more often than another. I hope they are not to far apart as far as water retention, as they are mixed randomly all over the place in the room, but carrs seems to retain water a little longer than the rest, that may be because they have slightly less root mass at the moment...

If one of the composts gives outstanding results it would be worth trying a grow adding water retaining granules.

From old research back in the bcga site days, the type of water retaining granule is important, I only remembered this the other day. There are two types, sodium based and potassium based. Cannabis does not get on with sodium and salt, so potassium based water retaining granules are what you need, at the time the only potassium based water retaining granules available here in the uk was called “Fertile ™” don’t know if they still exist try google.

People reselling water retaining granules do not say if they are sodium or potassium based, you would have to ask them.

cheers for your reply mate ;) ,

much appreciated

:yep:

Redgrotto

Edited to add -

Just found em..They do still exist, and are indeed potassium based..

Prices are }

1kg - £16

5kg - £65

12.5kg - £94

Edited by Redgrotto

Hi folks

Right then compost :g: Im using carrs and j.a.b with added rockdust and innoculant :yep:

The plants in carrs are all showing varying degrees of malnutrition and fungal probs :ouch: fish mix,epsoms and copper fungicide are being used to control and contain the probs.

If i were only using the carrs id probably blame the environment or myself but tbh the environment is just dandy temps 78-84 humidity 40-50 :soap: the telling point for me is the fact that sat under the grostar are three different P.O.G phenos all in jab , Now apart from a preventitive spray of murphys copper fungicide they,ve had nothing but water and they look great :D

I agree with OT1 about the compacting of the carrs as when watering the run off from the carrs takes an age to show in comparison with the jab , Id also agree that the slow release nutrition of the carrs is too slow for cannabis .

I love growing and i love my plants but i get all pissy an stressy when things are made difficult when they should,nt be and tbh thats what im finding by using the carrs :blub: Now the J.A.B three are a much nicer bunch and a pleasure to work with :toldya:

post-2729-1184577293_thumb.jpg

Edited by buddly

Thanks very much for the feedback buddley. It remains to be seen how it goes with my plants, at the moment all are healthy, pretty equal and none have needed a feed to date.

So people understand, I told buddley in PM that J has some chillies in carrs and they are doing very well, but that chilli are not gross fast feeders like cannabis.

Just to get back on the buy 2 get 1 free offer i got on the JAB

I sieved the compost through a 1/4" sieve and measured the amount of usable compost. It came to exactly 50 litres . This works out to be 6.6p per litre

There was quite a lot of large peices and fibre that wouldn't go through the seive.

Heres a pic of the bag

post-3875-1184590675_thumb.jpg

Again thanks for that murran, again good feedback.

I use a half inch sieve for final pots, so your 60L producing 50l is much better than my 70l making 49l murran. There were a few stones, the remaining bits were hard peat lumps and fibre, and that was still only a couple of litres.

I may try a 1/2" sieve next time then i may get a little more and i may be a bit faster it took me about 30mins to do a 60litre sack, if you had a lot of sacks to do it could take quite a while.

I had few stones in there and the majority of them were small enough to go through the sieve.

Edited by murran

Just to get back on the buy 2 get 1 free offer i got on the JAB

I sieved the compost through a 1/4" sieve and measured the amount of usable compost. It came to exactly 50 litres . This works out to be 6.6p per litre

There was quite a lot of large peices and fibre that wouldn't go through the seive.

Heres a pic of the bag

I have bought the wrong JAB today!!! damn! Didnt see that one at any of the garden centres I went to. Anyone know of one that sells the JAB +JI in s.wales?

cheers...

I have bought the wrong JAB today!!! damn! Didnt see that one at any of the garden centres I went to. Anyone know of one that sells the JAB +JI in s.wales?

cheers...

did you get the mp without J.I in the orange bag? If so dont panic it works well :yahoo:

post-22766-1184604067_thumb.jpgyep its the one in the orange bag im using my plants are loving it its the best start to a grow ever!

Its this one.....

post-14962-1184606077_thumb.jpg