Small compost trial.

oldtimer1

Hello Felix, I’ve not tried Natures Own compost, as it happens Arnie has, at the moment Arnie is trying the JAB + JI, It will be interesting to see how he thinks it compares. This is out of our own pockets, as an oap I find the thought of paying nearly 13 quid + delivery for 40 litres of compost more than a bit beyond me to be honest.

Thank you OT,

I'll check and see what Arnie thinks. A cheaper alternative of equal quality is always welcome.

Many thanks,

Felix.

Hello Felix, I’ve not tried Natures Own compost, as it happens Arnie has, at the moment Arnie is trying the JAB + JI, It will be interesting to see how he thinks it compares. This is out of our own pockets, as an oap I find the thought of paying nearly 13 quid + delivery for 40 litres of compost more than a bit beyond me to be honest.

:yahoo:

The price is largely what drove me to try the JAB, OT! Must be the Yorkshireman in me! Like you say, its a pricey do, that Natures Own.

So far the JAB has equalled and, I would say, surpassed the Nature's Own in trems of plant health and vigour. My outdoor ladies seem to be thriving in it, despite the apalling weather they are having to endure. I shall give it an indoor test when I get the 'Drobe up and running again.

So far the JAB has equalled and, I would say, surpassed the Nature's Own in trems of plant health and vigour.

:wink: Oh no I still have 4 bags of Natures Own left :yahoo:

Have you tried Carrs Organic compost Arnie ?

Thanks,

Felix.

No M8.

If you've got 4 bags of NO, get them used!

There is a chap round these parts produces a commercial organic mix - I may give it a try next year.

There is a chap round these parts produces a commercial organic mix - I may give it a try next year.

I'd be interested to see how you get if you do give it a trial.

Thanks,

Felix.

stuff and nonsense as with the product evaluation see here! Yes I mix in a little rock dust and inoculant as a standard practice to all my compost, I now do this at the sieving stage, this mixes it throughout the medium. At the moment I’m using pinetum’s rock dust, its better IMHO than the Seer rock dust as its finer and easier for the micro heard to get their teeth into.

Felix, I would not worry about what is best, Arnie grew some very good plants resulting in some great buds with Natures Own compost.

The Carrs compost comes from outside my area, I’m very close to where you are, carrs is local to Gloucester and the immediate surrounding area. It just happens I travel that way from time to time so its not a problem picking some up.

It was buddly that brought both the pinetum RD and carrs organic compost to my attention. Last I heard from buddly, he was not too happy with the carrs compost and thought the JAB was doing better, I’m not sure why, maybe he will step in and say.

By doing this trial, I’ll try and find the pro’s and con’s of the three composts, if there are any problems, the reason and if there is a work round, for me they are all performing well and up to now I would be pleased using any of them, I can only report things as they happen.

Once again thanks for your time and patience OT, I shall continue watching with interest as I don't have either the space or more importantly the growing experience to conduct a meaningful trial.

It will be interesting to see what you and buddly both think of the carrs once you've finished but it's sounding like JAB may be the road to go down in the future.

Many thanks,

Felix.

Hi OT1,

What has using these composts done to your watering schedule?, do they need re-watering more often than the old Westlands Hanging Basket & Container compost - because i need maximum number of days between waterings :yinyang: would adding water retaining gels to these composts help, or would they just mess everything up?

cheers mate,

:(

Redgrotto

Redgrotto I have to test the compost as is for now, to be valid it has to be one step at a time. I will not know how often rewatering will be needed until they are settled in the final pots or if any one compost will need watering more often than another. I hope they are not to far apart as far as water retention, as they are mixed randomly all over the place in the room, but carrs seems to retain water a little longer than the rest, that may be because they have slightly less root mass at the moment...

If one of the composts gives outstanding results it would be worth trying a grow adding water retaining granules.

From old research back in the bcga site days, the type of water retaining granule is important, I only remembered this the other day. There are two types, sodium based and potassium based. Cannabis does not get on with sodium and salt, so potassium based water retaining granules are what you need, at the time the only potassium based water retaining granules available here in the uk was called “Fertile ™” don’t know if they still exist try google.

People reselling water retaining granules do not say if they are sodium or potassium based, you would have to ask them.

Ive just bought some JABmulti +JI from my garden centre. It was 60litre bags, £4.99 a bag buy 2 get 1 free 180 litres. 5.5p a litre.

Ey up murran, it would be very interesting to know how many litres you actually get out of a bag.

Sounds like a stunning deal.

Its just a privately owned garden centre unfortunately but they cant be the only place doing them.

I will be sieving and potting up in the next couple of days so i will measure the amount each bag holds and let you know .

I mix in a little rock dust and inoculant as a standard practice to all my compost, I now do this at the sieving stage, this mixes it throughout the medium. At the moment I’m using pinetum’s rock dust, its better IMHO than the Seer rock dust as its finer and easier for the micro heard to get their teeth into.

Hi OT1. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what do the rock dust and inoculant do, and how important is the sieving? We've just been using the compost (WMP+JI) straight out of the packet so far, which seems to work pretty well for us.

I need to pick up some more compo 2moz. Think I will be getting some JAB +JI from what ive been reading. They sell it in Homebase, last time I looked. Will post my thoughts on it.............