Gardening Which Compost Trials 07

oldtimer1

^^ ok, thats basically what ive done added 1/3 perlite as I thought this was the right thing to do... From reading that, Im using the same stuff and The growth rate of my girls has been shit to say the least... The seeds germinated in around 20hours, and over 10 days theyve slowed right down, barely any roots and not a very happy jimmy :rofl:

Might go to homebase tommorow and grab a different compost.. Cant be having westlands cocking up my plants!!! i'll bite there noses off ¬¬

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldtimer1

• kifty

• compostverte

• goldie_2007

hi all

great thread old timer

i have been using b@q multi purpose compost for years(with bio bizz range) but it has totaly gone to shit

im finding it impossible to flush the plant as clean as i want

i go crazy with the flushing,i want it clean

but after 2 weeks plain water and 3 weeks flush i had to chop it down,but it wasnt as clean as i wanted

it was a haze

im thinking of changing to coco

• 4 weeks later...
...Cant be having westlands cocking up my plants!!! i'll bite there noses off ¬¬

in stark contrast, and showing how accurate the findings above are, i'm using the new westlands mix and i've done very little to my girls, just kept potting up. growth is looking ok to me...

post-8171-1188675182_thumb.jpg

they got a bit of guano when i potted up but have had no other nutes up to this point.

just goes to show.

i guess the next thing is to find the best and most stable of the available composts. should be interesting... :wassnnme:

cheers for the useful info OT1

Edited by Pinball Wizard

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread... I am planning to have a go with some compost, seen few different ones on onffer (mostly what's listed here) seems as is this hydro lad need to do some more homework as I was going for the b&q stuff. Is nice & cheap :unsure:

Well... back to the research for me then. :ninja:

• 1 month later...

I just got my hands on a bag of genie no1 & genie no2, was on BOGOF for £4.48 at my local garden centre. Thought I would try it out as it's organic, however before I go using it should I be adding any perlite or just use it straight, It's quite water retentive in it's natural form.

I just got my hands on a bag of genie no1 & genie no2, was on BOGOF for £4.48 at my local garden centre. Thought I would try it out as it's organic, however before I go using it should I be adding any perlite or just use it straight, It's quite water retentive in it's natural form.

Read here!

Cheers for that useful read OT1, I might give it a try on one plant though (just because I'm one of those people who likes to see things for themselves), I'll use the rest for my kitchen herb containers, it would be a shame to waste it otherwise. It is rather odd that it didn't yield so well considering it was such a good rooter, started off reading that thinking I had bought a 'bag of gold', to get to the last pages to find it was that 'fools gold' stuff, oh well not to worry.

• 2 months later...

What compost to use, eh? I used all-mix on my first grow, but switched to westland multi-purpose for my next grow cos it was at least half the price and i was strapped for cash after blowing my wedge on life's little luxurys.. and to be honest I'm getting better results with the westland. I got 5 plants out of 15 with yields of over 80g each, with an overall average of around 60g. Ok, no records getting broken there but its good for me, as I'm still learning. I delay my first nute feed by an extra week cos i think the westland is quite rich at first. I guess I'm also improving as a grower in those 101 little tasks and tricks that only exerience provides. Is all-mix really worth the extra money?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scarface

anybody got any idea on the results of this years trials?

i read something online about all composts containing peat will be banned by 2012 or something but the peat free composts are seriously lagging behind performance wise, so was wondering if the bit about peat compost is true too?

thanks in advance :smoke:

Guest scarface

just found this on their site :smoke:

News: Gardening

11 January 2008

Peat-free compost still lagging behind, Producers need to do more to improve quality

Compost producers need to produce better peat-free products, according to new research by Gardening Which?.

The government has set targets requiring compost manufacturers to go virtually peat free by 2010.

But Gardening Which? tests show there is still a long way to go before peat-free composts are of reliable quality.

There's still a gulf between the performance of peat-free and peat-based composts for growing young plants from seed.

Sowing seeds

New Horizon Organic and Peat Free Grow Bag was the only peat-free compost deemed to be a Best Buy for growing on young plants.

Variable results in quality between bags of the same compost bought from different parts of the UK meant it wasn't possible make any peat-free compost a Best Buy for sowing seeds.

Focus Multi Purpose Peat Free compost was rated a ‘Don't Buy’, scoring only 8% overall, and performing badly in both the young plant trial and seed-sowing trials.

Traditional peat-based compost continued to top all the trials, with B&Q performing best.

Peat-free

B&Q’s Seeds, Seedlings and Cuttings compost scored 88% and was a Best Buy in the seed-sowing tests, while B&Q’s John Innes No.2 was the top scoring compost in the young plant trial. This was also a Best Buy and scored 83% overall.

Gardening Which? Editor Ceri Thomas said: ‘We've been testing composts for a quarter of a century at Gardening Which? and we are still astounded by the variable quality of peat-free products.

‘Compost manufacturers really need to up their game if they are going to produce compost that can balance the needs of the environment with the needs of our plants.’

http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaig..._557_129093.jsp

B&Q won it then, thats a suprise :smoke:

Edited by scarface

I only have access to the net once every 6 or 7 days, as im away most of the time at the moment, the trials were split between two issues this year, the trial scarface mentions, is the first only dealing with seed, cuttings and small plants, the second deals with container and larger plants. I'll scan both charts next time I'm in town, I don't have time today.

Guest scarface
I only have access to the net once every 6 or 7 days, as im away most of the time at the moment, the trials were split between to issues this year, the trial scarface mentions, is the first only dealing with seed, cuttings and small plants, the second deals with container and larger plants. I'll scan both charts next time I'm in town, I don't have time today.

cool, thanks ot :wassnnme:

How yous keeping there, jeez now the dirt is getting fiddly too...complicated this weed growing... :guitar: But what about that westland mp stuff, Scarface? I've started using that, cheaper than biobizz allmix when you've got 20 odd girls on the go... I dont even know if its peat free or not... :yep: Right, I'm running upstairs to see if I can find an empty bag of it, see what the hell I'm doing here...

From my personal grows.. using Allmix, Westlands and AJB... I have found the AJB, to be the best so far..

I look forward to seeing how the later two compare, in this years trial..