Fertile Fibre + Fungi Vs Biobizz Light Mix + Fungi

Om

Not too dissimilar then Om.

Bought a soil ph tester so will post results accordingly.

My thinking is that FF being coco based might not have the buffering capacity that we need and as such I might use some ph down if need be to stop any more dying back.

FF make their own ferts but I'm not sure what they are.

Also if need be I'll start using coir specific nutes which will take my grow out of the realms of this organic thread. ;)

At the end of it all I cannot see my ladies die off before the end of the grow. :yinyang:

I have another bag of FF so might well try coir nutes next time as an experiment. ;)

Cheers for now,

Bu. :yinyang:

Edit for missed bit

Edited by Bu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Om

• Bu

• Arnold Layne

• Nitramkram

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did a google and it seems on the website that FF is very slow release ferts that can read as stronger after six months than they did at 3 months as the stuff is designed to go for a full growing season without the need for extra nutrition.

This being so would mean I've been totally frying my ladies and explain early burn showing. :spliff:

It has added seaweed extract also

Weekly update now 3.5 weeks into flowering.

It would appear we have a problem with the coir used in Fertile Fibre. It maybe and this is only supposition neither confirmed or denied by Fertile Fibre that the coir used has not been sufficiently washed after being soaked in a lagoon some where (thanks for that Bu :guitar: ). It would appear that the salt in the coir has not been washed away properly after lounging around in the lagoon for up to 6 months. Which may be fine for most plants and applications but not for ours. I am told that Biobizz wash their coir more than once thus rinsing the salts away. The salt build up can cause the problems we are now experiencing in the shape of what looks like burn and or some kind of deficiency. Thanks to Ot1 for the crucial information on coir by the way.

Not sure if this is the right medium to use for our purpose but fine for the garden I suspect.

We shall see.

Om :wassnnme:

post-6527-1132856176_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention I have just fed the fertile fibre plants with 0.5ml biomate (every 4 weeks) 3ml bloom, 0.5ml grow and 1ml topmax per litre. For the Lightmix I added the same except for the grow at 1ml and 2ml algamic per litre. The Lightmix plants show no signs of the problems and so far there appears to be difference between them growth wise. I have kept the grow and algamic down in the fertile fibre down as it gets hotter after a few weeks ooops. I should of done more research before using, something about both feet.

telle est la vie

Om :artist:

My Cheese and Elvis are displaying a very similar problem. That it could be a problem of the compost mix would explain why the other strains in my grow seem unaffected - had it been fungal it would surely have touched all plants? It would also explain the dramatic improvement in my mothers following a switch to a cheap organic mix from the Garden Centre (JAB New Horizons Organic MP).

Most interesting, thanks chaps.

My Cheese and Elvis are displaying a very similar problem. That it could be a problem of the compost mix would explain why the other strains in my grow seem unaffected - had it been fungal it would surely have touched all plants? It would also explain the dramatic improvement in my mothers following a switch to a cheap organic mix from the Garden Centre (JAB New Horizons Organic MP).

Most interesting, thanks chaps.

Is this with the new compost you have been trialling Arnie ?

Om ;)

Yup OM, it is - as you know I mix it using a percentage of Coir. I had thought that by using Canna's Coir all would be well, but the problem I am having is so very similar to the one above. Leaves get small rings of rust on the veins then necrosis sets in. Citrofresh seems to slow it, but only that. Thankfully, so far, ESBxHolyweed, Ice and Jack Flash seem alright.

The Mothers have improved so quickly in the JAB - Hmmmmmm, think I may try a complete grow in the JAB see what happens ;)

Yup OM, it is - as you know I mix it using a percentage of Coir. I had thought that by using Canna's Coir all would be well, but the problem I am having is so very similar to the one above. Leaves get small rings of rust on the veins then necrosis sets in. Citrofresh seems to slow it, but only that. Thankfully, so far, ESBxHolyweed, Ice and Jack Flash seem alright.

The Mothers have improved so quickly in the JAB - Hmmmmmm, think I may try a complete grow in the JAB see what happens :yinyang:

Bu has used JAB with added john inns and had good results. We spoke about this yesterday and concluded it would be better to use the JAB. I may still continue with Allmix but I am beginning to wonder if being completely organic is worth it, but then (god I am going to get canned for saying this ;) ) the cost of the allmix every 3 months or so isn't too bad.

Good job my mothers are in compost too.

Looks like it is the coir then Dr Watson :smoke:

Om :headpain:

Edited by Om

Hmmm, yes, looks like. Ever tried straight JAB NH Organic MP? I may well give in to the temptation

Sorry for being a bit thick today but what does the MP stand for :)

Om :)

J Arthur Bowers New Horizons Organic Multi Purpose Compost

:unsure:;)

Just me being lazy is all lol

MP - Multi Purpose ffs what am I like, I said I was being thick today :rolleyes:

Om lol lol lol

Bu update 6 wks and two days 12/12.

I'm really pleased to say that the dying back has finally stopped after feeding just ph adjusted water for a few days. :)

I'll probably carry this on for the final couple of weeks and see how things go. :yinyang:

My next grow will be in Fertile Fibre mixed with some lightmix 50/50 as I believe even the addition of some worm castings or premix might have helped things along and mixing with lightmix will lower the ambient fert levels to something more controllable. ;)

Cheers for now,