Fertile Fibre + Fungi Vs Biobizz Light Mix + Fungi

Om

I will join in on the trip Om - I know what all th Grow gear is except the "frtile fiber". Can you givce a complete discription. :smoke:

I'm guessing it is some new medium mix or some thing..........Is it anorganic medium ?

................ FF = "Fertile Fiber" ........Is that similar to or same as "Coco Cior & Neem Cake"....

lol

Hi Nitramkram,

Yes Fertile Fibre is organic.

Right so far there is good news and very bad news. I lost the 14 Reeferman seedlings through damping off lol 11 G13 x Black widow and 3 Willie Nelson :blub: Gutted!!!

I'm not sure if there was any fungus spores in the medium or it was just me not sterilising the seeds before sowing but I've never experienced such a comprehensive loss!

I have some Nirvana Skunks so will sterilised my equipment and seeds and give them a go as a control.

The main grow is going fine tho.

Here are some pics to show the packaging and texture of the Fertile Fibre......It is very fibrous as to be expected I suppose.

post-3809-1129719431.jpg

post-3809-1129719495.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Om

• Bu

• Arnold Layne

• Nitramkram

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is are pics of pre and post watering....

A 6ltr pot of this stuff will totally absorb 1ltr of water with no run-through whatsoever and absolutely no shrinkage as it drys out In my experience anyhow. It all just soaks in....Lovely!!

I gave them a feed today of 1ml Biobizz "Grow" and "Bloom" to a ltr of water. The Perlite in the pic is from the JAB that the were put into from rooted cuts.post-3809-1129720103.jpgpost-3809-1129720163.jpg

I think it is very important to let the plants dry out for longer than with conventional compo as this stuff holds onto water like a sponge.

Here are some pics of the foliage.

It will be interesting to note differences between the ladies in Om's cavernous 15 ltr water butts and my little 6ltr numbers.

Cheers for now,

Bu. lol

post-3809-1129720576.jpg

post-3809-1129720670.jpg

It will be interesting to note differences between the ladies in Om's cavernous 15 ltr water butts and my little 6ltr numbers.

15 litre water butts indeed :smoke: although they do look a bit oversized at this stage.

How long did you have them in veg just for the record Bu and how high are they now and when they were started :yinyang: Looking good Bu ;)

Om :unsure:

How long did you have them in veg just for the record Bu and how high are they now and when they were started :wassnnme: Looking good Bu ;)

Om :yinyang:

I had them under two 125watt enviro's on 20/4 lighting for a week then the 600 HPS on 18/6 for a couple of blasts before I stuck them on 12/12.

The roots were showing through the bottom of the pots although I'm not sure to what density but I thought, "That'll do me" and switched. ;)

Bu :yinyang:

Yes Fertile Fibre is organic.

That's what I wanted to hear but not the part about loosing some plants tbh. :smug:

Bu.......Right so far there is good news and very bad news. I lost the 14 Reeferman seedlings through damping off
:smoke:

Bu,,,,,,,, some help with the lingo "dampin off" - is that drying out (holding water to much?

Sorry to be a simpleton & possile pest. Wouldn't wish to be.

Soz about the loss.

I will continue to follow ..........................

:yinyang:

NK.

That's what I wanted to hear but not the part about loosing some plants tbh. :smoke:

Bu,,,,,,,, some help with the lingo "dampin off" - is that drying out (holding water to much?

NK.

No problem NK,

"Damping off" occurs when fungus either from airbourne spores or present in the compost or on seeds breaks through the soft cell walls of the seedlings either at or below soil level and causes the cell structure to break down which causes the stem to shrink and wither culminating in certain death for the little plant.

Sometimes it can be seen creeping across the compost looking like little hairs.

This is why it is good practise to sterilize all equipment and seeds can be sterilized with a week solution of h2o2.

Hope this helps :smug:

Bu. :yinyang:

Bu........."Damping off" occurs when fungus either from airbourne spores or present in the compost or on seeds breaks through the soft cell walls of the seedlings either at or below soil level and causes the cell structure to break down which causes the stem to shrink and wither culminating in certain death for the little plant.

Thanks and educational..........forever learning :guitar:

The pics & discription of the before water and after just looks like my medium less any presence of fungus but clearly with perlite. Did you asd the perlite?

My medium is Coco cior 100% and I go 3 - 4 days without watering. Even longer most times (even when in flower but less so perhaps 2 days or 3). I know Coco holds 80% of the input (nutes & water). It's why I term my watering shedual SS (Slackers Schedual) as you don't tend the girls much...........even though I'm in there for a chat every night + write in my 'diary'.

That medium looks and is discribed just like Coco Cior. I'm not supprised that you comment on the -

A 6ltr pot of this stuff will totally absorb 1ltr of water with no run-through whatsoever and absolutely no shrinkage as it drys out In my experience anyhow.

I don't know how many Lt my pots are. They are square 7" (18cm)x7"x9"(23cm) deep & I water/feed 250ml per plant with no 'run off' & no shrinkage. I have watered to run-off during flowering when there in the final pots and only takes about 100ml more to achieve. It just looks so much the same without the fungi additive stuffy :unsure: I know it is not the same as "fertile fibre" and all I am saying it's water obsorbent qualities are similar.

I think it is very important to let the plants dry out for longer than with conventional compo as this stuff holds onto water like a sponge.

I have found the same with using Coco coir - I also found I have never got the roots to fully fill these pots @ the end of a grow.

This is why it is good practise to sterilize all equipment and seeds can be sterilized with a week solution of h2o2.

Every grow I do a wash up. I am unsure that Coco is organic tbh..........feck yea you got me to read the back of the package Back post-2270-1129810043.jpg

Front post-2270-1129810149.jpg

("The water/air complex is 73% water + 23% air).

"Canna Coco consists of 45% Collulose...........and has special fungus ("Trichoderma")... protection against gropund diseases bla bla bla .......... :headbang: . So if I am using this medium & the Coco Specific nutes (COGr - Flores) can I post in the organics area and say I am organic growin??

Hope this helps
- sure has & I can read too. I should pay more attention to packaging in future. Sorry to blab on in ya special post - Just I'm :stoned: + :headbang: ........now tell me I grow organically & don't know it. Till now - & so I don't have to do all the worring about all that organic stuff to do an org grow. :wassnnme:

My guess is your doing more !

I'll re read from start as I'm sure there is sometin else to do with your experiment you have ststed in the beginning!

Oh I also noted a special note on the back saying use huge pots (ie 20 Lt) & "Keep in mind to provide sufficient drainage ....possibly use "HYDROGRAINS" - I use 'hydrotron clay pebbles' sometimes :blub:

:yinyang:

NK.

Edited by Nitramkram

I think the vermiculite found in the fertile fibre will also help with the water retention. I think it is important to mention that no mater what the medium we grow in it's the plants that dictate the watering schedule and not the assumption the FF will retain water for longer. So far I have found both composts lightmix and fertile fibre have dried out at about the same rate. All of the plants tend to wilt on the lower leaves at the same time which is when I water the plants. So far I havn't noticed any one of the soils retaining the water longer than the other. All of the plants seem to be growing at the same rate too.

Om lol

All of the plants seem to be growing at the same rate too.

Om :yinyang:

At least things have balanced out now then Om what with the plants in Lightmix taking off quicker and all. ;)

Bu.

:smoke:

At least things have balanced out now then Om what with the plants in Lightmix taking off quicker and all. :(

Bu.

:D

To be honest Bu they have all always grown at the same rate and still do but two of the fertile fibre grows didn't and still don't look as quite chipper as he rest. The other two in Fertile Fibre are fine, whilst they all appear to be growing in height and at the same rate the lightmix ones still are looking slightly healthier. I don't think the difference between the two soils is the issue here it's probably the way I potted them up or something similar that is affecting their health. The first water I gave them was by eye and not by measure it could be that. They don't look quite as sad today so I am sure all is equal at the moment :D When I grew all in the same medium there were always those that didn't excel and those that gave all to exploits of the grower ;)

As for balanced I doubt if anything or for that matter anybody is this house would or could aspire to such a concept ;)

Om ;)

Some of the girls were showing signs of Mg deficiency so I gave them all 1 litre of water with 2ml of algamic per litre. A day later there is only one that seems to persist the rest appear to be fine now it gave them a real lift too. Maybe I'll give that one a spray with a fine mist of Epson salts may even try to spray on the algamic ;) . The leaves on the girls in the lightmix had a tiny little bit of leaf curl after the algamic but that seems to have subsided. To be fair though they weren't showing signs of Mg deficiency but I gave them some algamic anyway :smoke:

The Fertile Fibre seems to work well with the biobizz range of nutes including algamic. They do have their own range of feed at the Fertile Fibre ranch if this grow goes well perhaps it maybe worth giving that a try.

Om :stoned:

Got Aunt Flo and Farmer Barleymo round today so can't get up to my garden!

Got to wait 'til tomorrow and hope all is good.

Looking good tho Om. :unsure:

Bu. :yinyang: or should it be Bod.!!??

Edit.....Thank feck it ain't PC Copper I spose!!

Edited by Bu