ISO And Water?

Chal

When you clean ye metal, in ISO, I'm supposing many will do like me, and hook it Out of the iso, dropping it straight into water, to rinse it. Yeah?

Well; Does it make that water go murky, for you? 🤔 Just wondered. 'Cos, I use a pill pot. Egg cup sized bit of, dead fresh, water. I just dropped a few caps in it? Looked again and the waster's like bad milk!

Could this be the Pernod Phenomenon?

Pernod goes cloudy in water because some of the oils are not water soluble. Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't, it's polar so should dissolve in the water (there could be water-soluble impurities in your water that aren't soluble in isoproyl alcohol so when that mixes with the water perhaps they are precipitating out :unsure: ).

• Like 1

Yes iso does cloud the water. Btw rinse in soapy water to get rid of the iso taste.

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

Thanks, lads! :yep:

@Timbuds373 Any idea why this happens, please? (Purely out of stoner curiosity) I was thinking how 'Local' my water is. But, it happens with yours? And, I'm betting that water of yours isn't drawn in Leitrim! :D

52 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Pernod goes cloudy in water because some of the oils are not water soluble.

💡 I wonder if the traces of oil, on the gear being cleansed Of that oil, is causing it? (My water. Not the Pernod. Obviously 😬)

I guess, One way would be to get my iso and put a drop in some of my water. Without any interventions with caps 'n shit. Just pure to pure. Could do that. But, where's the conversation in that? :D

Maybe tomorrow. I've done, in that room, now.

• Like 1

I used to dillute my tincture (ethanol 94% not iso) with water and that would go cloudy like pernod. The tincture itself is light brown but clear.

Maybe diluting the alcohol releases the non water-soluble oils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chal said:

💡 I wonder if the traces of oil, on the gear being cleansed Of that oil, is causing it? (My water. Not the Pernod. Obviously 😬)

"Louching, also known as the louche or ouzo effect, is when alcohol turns cloudy when water gets added to it. Louching happens because of the high presence of essential oils in the spirit. When you dilute the spirit, the saturation point of the solvent (ethanol) is decreased and the oils are released from suspension and separated from the water."

So it must be gear oil.  I was all set to deny that it happens, then I tested it and it does! Amazing what you don't notice.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chal said:

But, where's the conversation in that? :D

2 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

"Louching, also known as .....

See?! There's  a Conversation! ☝️:D

• Haha 1

I guess it wouldn't without oil, because all the ISO we buy is ISO and water, its just a matter of how much.  So if it did louche without oil, it'd come louchey. Mine is 99% ISO.  Louches like a bastard in a glass that's had lemon in it :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

all the ISO we buy is ISO and water, its just a matter of how much.  So if it did louche without oil, it'd come louchey.

😐 Fuckin'ell, Midge; Hold up!!! Don't you get wrecked, or something, this time of night? Took me a good few minutes to unravel the intricacies of That one! 😂

• Haha 1