Comparing lights

Surfer Joe

I use a 400W MH and a 600W HPS lights in my grow space with decent results although the heat can be a problem in summer and also with cold temps in winter.

I am thinking of switching to led lights during the warm months and using the regular lights in the winter to help with the temperatures, so I was wondering what was a comparable led light to buy that provided the same amount of light?

And would the same light be able to be adjusted for veg and bloom and for intensity?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Surfer Joe

To replace a 600HPS you’ll require around 450W of LED.

But,

remember you need to add back in some of the heat that’s been lost through electrical efficiency :thumsup:

Altering your extraction is a great way to help when running LEDs,

extract low down and have intakes near the top of the grow space :)

Atb

☯️

• Like 3

Extracting the from the zone you're trying to keep the heat ain't ideal, yeah heat rises but is easy to keep it low down with a fan above pushing all available heat from your lights downwards, this way the CF at the top is away from the warm zone you create down low and saves on floor space.

Edited by Military Grade

@Surfer Joe What size is the grow space? This should be the starting point when trying to decide what lights to be comparing. And then pick the one that lights that are the most evenly from the centre to the edges 👍

• Like 1

I always had a 1meter square tent and now have a little room that is about 4 feet x 4 feet in size. 
I have the filter and fan at the top and the intake vent is at the bottom of the wall.

Edited by Surfer Joe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

To replace a 600HPS you’ll require around 450W of LED.

But,

remember you need to add back in some of the heat that’s been lost through electrical efficiency :thumsup:

Altering your extraction is a great way to help when running LEDs,

extract low down and have intakes near the top of the grow space :)

Atb

☯️

Thanks 

I would use the regular lights in winter and probably also do autos to use the heat from the lamps to my advantage and then use leds in the summer to eliminate the overheating.

• Like 1