What to feed seedlings when I go on a trip?

childofmelee

When I go on my trip for nine days my seedlings will be transferred from propagators into their pots and left outdoors. I plan to germinate today and in 8 - 9 days the seedlings will go into pots. Then I will not see the seedlings again for 9 days.

Now I'm guessing 8 - 9 days is not long enough for organic fertilizer to break down, but if I feed them a synthetic fertilizer like nitrophoska it won't last 9 days, and being a fast release fertilizer I can't feed the seedlings enough nitrophoska to last 9 days without burning them.

What are my options here?

Pot them into a seed and cutting compost,

which will have enough nutrients to last them a couple of weeks ;) 

Atb

☯️

• Like 3

Why on earth germinate now? Would it not be smarter to germinate upon your return? I’m guessing you’re in the southern hemisphere? 🫡

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Why on earth germinate now? Would it not be smarter to germinate upon your return? I’m guessing you’re in the southern hemisphere? 🫡

Yes I'm in the southern hemisphere.

It will be far too late if I left it until I returned and I'll end up with small plants.  Also it is safer for me in my situation/circumstances to germinate now rather than at a later date.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, childofmelee said:

Yes I'm in the southern hemisphere.

It will be far too late if I left it until I returned and I'll end up with small plants.  Also it is safer for me in my situation/circumstances to germinate now rather than at a later date.

Rubbish, unless you’re away for more than a month the plants will be fine at the end. I always plant 4-6 weeks later than others. If you’re after maximum yield, germinate a few more.. 

Seed and cutting compost is nothing short of a massive con, i have never ever used it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hazeworks said:

Seed and cutting compost is nothing short of a massive con, i have never ever used it

Are you some kind of magician? lol

Or a mentalist perhaps? lol

Ever tried biobizz light mix? 

Atb 

☯️

47 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Are you some kind of magician? lol

Or a mentalist perhaps? lol

Ever tried biobizz light mix? 

Atb 

☯️

In the past i use what every i buy from the garden center, my indoor seed has straight into Jiffy pro7 bat mix, "seedling" compost is just a con

5 minutes ago, Hazeworks said:

seedling" compost is just a con

I'm just interested how you can make this claim, 

when you say you've never tried it? :)

Just to be clear to everyone that this is not an argument :thumsup:

Atb 

☯️

I will swing back the other way, and ask why use it? i get some of them are high in pertile, but a lot of these composts are more expensive than just buying multi purpose, which will do exactly the same job, and you only need to buy one type of compost then