Take seedlings on a road trip or leave at home?

childofmelee

So you have 13 hours from sunrise to sunset? I don't think that enough dude. They'll probably get confused, try and flower at a couple of weeks old and then do a weird reveg thing, better to wait until you have about 14+ hours between sunrise/sunset (it's usually light a bit earlier/later than the stated sunrise/set times). Some equatorial sativas would probably veg quite happily at this time, but they would also kick into flower really late and struggle to finish for the same reason. 

Edited by MindSoup

Pot up in bigger pot water it and leave under flous or weak led for a week no problem imo. Or go Heisenberg lol

Sometimes I think more plants die from people overthinking and mollycoddling them than if they just chucked seeds in dirt and walked away lol  

It’s cannabis, as long as nothing eats it or the above happens, it’s going to grow.  

If you’re going to start indoors or in a greenhouse pampering with balmy conditions and short nights, then stick out in early spring = potential issues.  Started outdoors from the beginning = no issues.   

13 hours daylight and temps mentioned sounds like the exact time of year they would be coming up as volunteers aka as nature intended.   They’ll even take a light frost in their stride, no issues.  

Don’t forget some of the places the cannabis comes from…  I’m sure up in the mountains of northern Pakistan it gets a fuck of a lot colder than it does here….  It’s not a fucking tomato!   Rant over lol  

• Haha 1

I'd still argue your better off starting later in the year. Main reason is less time dedicated to the grow, but also you can plant out a 2-4 weeks before solstice and still get 7 footers quite easily, anything bigger than that just gets hard to manage and usually more prone to rot. I'd rather just pop 2 beans and have 2 plants that are a more reasonable size, 2 eggs in two baskets. Starting outdoors feels like a good idea though, start as you mean to finish kind of thing. 

Edited by MindSoup

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

I'd still argue your better off starting later in the year.

I was under the impression that he’d already germinated them?  Being in NZ….

still get 7 footers quite easily, anything bigger than that just gets hard to manage and usually more prone to rot.

Yeah, generally rather have more smaller plants than a few biggens for sure….

Starting outdoors feels like a good idea though, start as you mean to finish kind of thing. 

I did an experiment a few years back, same seed sown into same jiffy’s at same time, some under lights in a cab and some in a makeshift greenhouse that got sun for half the day ,  planted same time etc….  The GH plants ‘took’ much better than the indoor….  

In an ideal world / best results would be direct sown in situ , but obviously much harder to manage pest damage / soil moisture in those vulnerable first few weeks this way..

57 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

I was under the impression that he’d already germinated them?  Being in NZ

Oh right, I missed that bit lol. Thought OP was asking if the should pop them or wait till after their holiday. If they're popped already your floating platform box thing could be a good shout, I'm sure you can point them in the right direction on that one. 

Interesting what you found with the indoor/outdoor thing, it makes sense though. It's like going on holiday to somewhere with a different climate, can take quite a while to acclimatise. Back in my proper GG days I quite often started my beans at the plot, or in my mates mums greenhouse, usually had good results.

I do remember someone having great results with some accidental direct sowing a year or two back, Esebn/HFH had some dropped seeds overwinter up wherever he is and grow beautifully in a recent season as well. Keeping that tap root from getting restricted/redirected I suppose, maybe you could start them in root pruners? Not sure that would be quite the same...

Edited by MindSoup