Ultra flat grow room heater - Anyone tried these?

Slippy One

I don't know if i imagined it or not, but didn't someone on here make a small heater that attached to the tent pole?

A small heating element inside a short metal tube for shielding with a fan blowing it downwards, i might have dreamed it lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Just a heads up they got really hot . My pal had one hung in his tent took it down to do something and burnt a hole in his carpet.

• WOW 1

11 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I don't know if i imagined it or not, but didn't someone on here make a small heater that attached to the tent pole?

A small heating element inside a short metal tube for shielding with a fan blowing it downwards, i might have dreamed it lol

I know it's not exactly what you meant mate, but I did something similar with the little CHE bulbs that Mindsoup posted a while back here ;

Still not as compact as I think you're thinking of.. hmm, I have a couple of old deadded tube-heaters about 2' long which you could use to house those tiny PCT Heaters that @ratdog has been using to such good effect (ty for putting me on to those mate), you could mount the PCT at one end blowing down it and use the metal tube to direct the airflow, while also being a heat-sink to radiate out heat along its length, and strap one on the vertical to each pole... mmmm more inventing sessions and I already have another Wallace/wrong trousers project on the go! lollol

Anyway, must not get distracted - I love hearing about all things heating, as most of the year this is my major challenge and it is the factor that determines the rest of my whole grow; if I'm growing autos, 24/0 light, HPS over led etc...  so to answer OP yes, I have seen these, and YES I am very interested to hear from anyone on here who's gonna use one if they work as advertised.

These make me think of heated windscreens, that is the avoidance of condensation on your walls (steamy windscreen), using low-power, low-heat but just enough to keep your inner walls dry - perhaps coupled with a variac or PID heat controller to limit the power going to them (not just on/off like inkbird), then the very walls of your tent themselves are basically heated surfaces but perhaps that's a bit of a dream who knows.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Slippy One said:

smaller size option..

It's currently the only issue I have with them. I would need to mount mine horizontally, which at first glance seems like it could be a job in itself. 

where I'm in the loft my ceiling "tapers" down, in the end I have side walls 900mm high, the outside wall will take this heater perfectly, and its where my active intakes are, but only if I can mount it horizontally.

Given the little hook / eyelet seems to be the only way to hang it I'd have to get creative without making it unsafe. 

Possible the guys that make them are testing the water, if they start to sell etc maybe they'll make a few different sizes???

1 hour ago, Phenohead11 said:

burnt a hole in his carpet

I'm probably the worst person to say this as I'm terrible for such things.... But what a dimlo. lol 

Surely you'd notice such heat when moving it?

I mean it is a heater after all.

25 minutes ago, Jimmeh said:

PCT Heaters that @ratdog has been using to such good effect

If i should change my tube heaters maybe i would think about this...

the heater i used was smaller than a Rubix cube, add it to a controller and you have perfect control down to 60w with instant heat when required.

• Like 2

While I like the idea of a small cube pumping out loads of heat, I think a long flat source of warmth would be better coverage for most tent/cupboard growers, especially growers like me used to using longish tubes.. Maybe an oscillating fan would spread that small heat source, as it's not a large space..

Now I'm worried if these mats can burn carpet, pretty sure they would burn a tent or worse, catch a wooden cupboard alight! 😆

• Like 1

I've just seen the new AC Infinity external heater uses PTC technology, i.e no heater wires so technically safer than most heaters.. 

"Cutting-edge PTC plate technology offers 10 distinct heat levels using PWM control to finely tailor temperature."

although not sure if that hose would cause issues.. def options out there, good to see new tech in heating though, but not sure there's a perfect solution for everyone yet.. 

I've been interested in these too, but the 500w unit is longer than I want. There is a smaller 250w version that's being sold in the EU that looks like it might be more suitable for smaller spaces - googling 250w Solea ultra-flat heater brings it up quickly - but that version doesn't appear in any UK sellers. Some descriptions of the ultra flat heaters suggest that they do their tricks using infrared but then other descriptions don't mention that at all 😕    

Edited by Billowin'smoke
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2024 at 19:47, Slippy One said:

"Impressed. Can feel the heat radiating outwards by 2 ft away. Sure, you could turn an oil radiator on 1kw but this is half the energy and stylish uses 0.0001% of your grow tent. Trialing it with a lighthouse wireless thermostat to turn it off at set temperature."

my mate bought one and installed it today

Pros:

It throws out loads of heat, took his tent from 19 -34 deg in just a few minutes

It's flat so you won't have to lose a couple of plants to accommodate an oil heater during cold periods

Cons:

It throws out loads of heat, I think it peaks at 40 deg but after adding a mat stat it sits nicely at 27 deg

The power cable is at the bottom which wouldn't be an issue if the cable was another meter longer

It's made in Russia which could be a problem if you are boycotting Russian goods or only have a Skoda or Lada as your benchmark for Russian build and quality

I've advised my mate to fit an RCD as a matter of urgency and have a fire extinguisher to hand 🤣

Edited by Joolz
  • Haha 1

Probably not adding much to the discussion, but; I believe I saw 'these' things take off, a year or two ago? For Chickens. Slap one on ye chickens night box wall was the idea.

I've no further information about them. I had no power to my chickens. And they have feathers. Fuck all that. But, for something to be sold as capable of warming a chicken box? No 'reptile heat mat' has ever claimed that. Two foot? Bitch must be on steroids!

I use these in my 1.5m tents. Apart from looking and feeling pretty cheap I really rate them. Used to hate burning myself on oil rads. Have this on the back wall out the way, where my intake comes in with a fan above it. I did end up putting a 90w tube heater along the front of my tent though as I noticed the plants along the back wall were growing slightly better during the winter. They get pretty damn hot but suprised to hear of someone burning carpet. Mines been perfectly safe hanging up so far.