Fancy lighting doesn’t always mean better results..

Slippy One

I’m not a fan of LED. I’ve got a marshydro sf1000. 150watt. I used it for almost a complete grow. Then I went out and bought a 600w digital adjustable ballast and duel spectrum 600w bulb. I’m glad I did. Back to what I understand.

Just checked and a AC LED 500watt evo light is £600. My light kit was £60. 
I can’t justify spending £600 on a light. I just don’t think it’s worth it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FlowerChild420 said:

Gsyrup less than a £ a watt isn't that bad imo. I know there's really cheap omegas about, but there's a huge gap in tech.

They are in the UK now, you purchase without import tax at less than a £ a watt.

So they are - the only unit less than a quid a watt though is the 1500w unit though lol they're priced similarly to other "higher quality" brands imo, I do like all the pre-sets they offer though but I do wonder how many of them you'd actually end up using. I'll keep me eyes on those. 

8 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

I’m not a fan of LED. I’ve got a marshydro sf1000. 150watt. I used it for almost a complete grow. Then I went out and bought a 600w digital adjustable ballast and duel spectrum 600w bulb. I’m glad I did. Back to what I understand.

Just checked and a AC LED 500watt evo light is £600. My light kit was £60. 
I can’t justify spending £600 on a light. I just don’t think it’s worth it.

You would think that pitting 150 watts of possibly the worst LED brand against a 600w hps lol 

Edited by Gsyrup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, splifi said:

is the extra cost worth it in the long run? 

Ideally, panel manufacturing should be as close as possible to natural light, i.e. the sun. Get that right, and everyone can stop over complicating things. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Why not though? Anyone know of a decent reason why they AREN'T chasing natural light spectrums? 

@Military GradeI had no idea ACI lights were rubbish! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Gsyrup

thats my point. I chose to spend £60 on the ballast and hps bulb than £600 or more on the same watt light but LED.

Plus I understand how to use the ballast and hps light, didn’t the OP have to tape some diodes or bulbs up? I don’t fancy learning why that would be necessary. Or having to do it on an expensive light. No tape needed for my bulb at least, that’s a plus in my book

7 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

I don’t fancy learning why that would be necessary.

Its not necessary. At all.

8 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

I don’t fancy learning

Don't bring price into the discussion then when the real issue is you can't be arsed to learn something new lol not that i am saying that in a negative light btw, you do you mate if you're growing bud and are happy with your results then fuck yeah thats the whole idea innit? But to compare prices of units but then not talk about returns, is very misleading for anyone reading it and in your case also misguided.

7 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

didn’t the OP have to tape some diodes or bulbs up?

I didn't HAVE to do it, was just really baked and curious to know what difference it would make. I'll try to get to the root of this issue by process of elimination, but I'd really like to see if it's a common thing. Not all of us spend 600 on lights, most are just hobby/micro growers where HID lamps are totally unsuitable for small wooden cabinets. :D 

• Like 2

having brilliant lights can make a difference but its how you use it :) newer led technology  can be "too much" for some plants to process  most leds over 2.7/2.8umol will probably work better with co2 supplementation... without the co2 being higher some growers will probably experience better results running their lights at 50-75% rather than full whack 100%

you could have a lower output led and get great results then on your next run upgrade your light and for some reason the results arent as good that could be down to the change in environment a more powerful light brings or it could simply be too much light 

• Like 6

i dramatically dropped the intensity this round, must be the spectrum 

20 hours ago, Slippy One said:

indoor cut: fox tails and clumps of new white hairs 2.5 weeks before finishing..

Jow big are those problems?

Isn't the taste of foxtails nicer than normal bud?

With AC light I have also issues as you mentioned.

Are they all poo-r?

I wanted some Diablo 300w light but I only got ionframe evo3 🥴

@Slippy One

cool mate, good luck I hope it yields good/better results. I’m in a small space myself. 0.8 sq. tent. I got the marshydro because it was the right size recommended for that size space. It’s got good reviews as well. Perfect for that space, I remember reading. Cost me £120 just shy. Maybe that’s an issue, misinformation because as @Gsyrup pointed out, “ that piffling little light” is correct, I would only use for vegging seeds really. 
Maybe can’t be arsed was the wrong phrase to use lol . I learn something new every day, it’s probably because I’m so used to using ballasts and hps bulbs it’s hard to see the forest for the trees (pun intended).

I agree with your topic, fancy lights probably do the same job but they do cost more, a lot more in some cases. Im just not a fan of led yet and thats also largely due to the fact I can’t afford to buy bigger lights so I can’t try them. Yet. 

• Like 1