State of the seed game

Ned The Head

@OldFord  .. I'm on the same hymn sheet 

Try before you buy is rare but nice sometimes 

Although a NL5 from late eighties early 90's would more than compete with the next new seed to hit the market 

S

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MistYGr33n said:

@sepsisurvivor

im growing that exact strain right now. Never got to try the 90’s version. I was still smoking Sputnik and squidgy black in them days

Bless you @MistYGr33n

I'm sure the 90s version will still kick ass

An original skunk no 1 or amstel gold has jogged my memory 

I was also told at the time from dealers I was getting tempe ball back in the day 🤣..but at best it was slate or the un politically correct term paki black😭

S

• Like 1

The squidgy was kinder on the clothing than the soapbar back in the day! Roll a stick and sling it in the skins with a bit of baccy, jobs a good un'. I can smell it now even tho I've not actually smelt it for 30 years. The good old resin dayz! Peace. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sepsisurvivor said:

Bless you @MistYGr33n

I'm sure the 90s version will still kick ass

An original skunk no 1 or amstel gold has jogged my memory 

I was also told at the time from dealers I was getting tempe ball back in the day 🤣..but at best it was slate or the un politically correct term paki black😭

S

@sepsisurvivor

lol had it many times paki black. Great smoke in a milk bottle bong. Think it’s full name was Pakistani black, just shortened.

Sorry I said it was Nl#2 I’m growing along with skunk no 1. 

large.IMG_0134.jpeg.a46e8ae868971c78643a216e772bf456.jpeglarge.IMG_0135.jpeg.253f60bc9b25563402030a3b3c5795d2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's some funny shit in here.

Most big seed Co's today produce out of Spain. Lots of breeders pumping out seeds from hlvd infected parents. The risk of hlvd from seed is real now.

Stoned is stoned. Lol. Couldn't disagree more.

How many folk here actually know the plant they're growing now? I've had plants for 5+ years that still show a surprising new expression with different inputs.

Source a few decent cuts, hunt a few strains you're interested in. Keep a few solid, well selected males around and you've got a never ending buffet.

Then you have this lovely place to exchange your work on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trashedagain77 said:

The squidgy was kinder on the clothing than the soapbar back in the day! Roll a stick and sling it in the skins with a bit of baccy, jobs a good un'. I can smell it now even tho I've not actually smelt it for 30 years. The good old resin dayz! Peace. 

@Trashedagain77

There was a renaissance period where some of the resins came back in the UK

Possibly 5 years ago .. sadly as per last time round .. the quality varied

I got some ..more for the smell than the smoke 🤣

S

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

Point is what’s is the difference between £200 weed and £30 weed? For me, its taste. That’s it. The high isn’t going to be too different is it? Stoned is stoned.

Hmmm I dunno about that bud!

Had the opportunity to grow out a few different selections from some of the £200+ seed selections out there, and these were cuts people had chosen as their best keepers out the packs.

They've all left me a little bit dissapointed...

Smells great but then you grind it up and it tastes like cardboard and the effect is boring and bland.....

That and usually very short lived...

That's even after me growing them out to my liking trying to get the best out of them.

Had much better results from the seeds the collective on here kindly donates to the subbies selections.

Just don't find the current hype strains to really hit the spot properly.

But hey ho, fruity flavers and picture perfect buds is what the kids want nowadays. lol

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

Point is what’s is the difference between £200 weed and £30 weed? For me, its taste. That’s it. The high isn’t going to be too different is it? Stoned is stoned.

Hmmm I dunno about that bud!

Had the opportunity to grow out a few different selections from some of the £200+ seed selections out there, and these were cuts people had chosen as their best keepers out the packs.

They've all left me a little bit dissapointed...

Smells great but then you grind it up and it tastes like cardboard and the effect is boring and bland.....

That and usually very short lived...

That's even after me growing them out to my liking trying to get the best out of them.

Had much better results from the seeds the collective on here kindly donates to the subbies selections.

Just don't find the current hype strains to really hit the spot properly.

But hey ho, fruity flavers and picture perfect buds is what the kids want nowadays. lol

• Like 2

@Thai Stick

i agree with the kids/hype instagram thing. It’s what people want or are willing to spend their money on. 
My point is if you put 2 black boxes with weed in both  in front of me and asked me to smoke both and say which one is best I’m going to pick the best one for me. Taste, high, whatever. Then you show me the price of both seeds. One cost £1, one costs £1000. What’s the relevance? None. For me anyways. The cost only comes into play if I want to buy. If is £1 a seed and it’s good then great, sign me up. If it’s £1000 then that’s easy. No weed seed is worth that to me. But to someone else, maybe it is. That’s their choice.

There are a fair few strains on the tude now north of £150. 

Lot of the issues are direct result of the capitalist world we live in, where generally the market and competition are geared towards providing something satisfactory enough for close to the average price people are willing to pay, all while trying to maximise margins and efficiently allocate resources for growth….  Hence most products & services are nowhere near as good as it could be, and markets are typically dominated by the most business savvy companies with the best marketing, typically taking advantage of relatively naive customers. 

Main offerings these days seem to be the bigger Dutch / Spanish companies, whose main customer base are newer growers, and as such are happy with something which is forgiving / easy growing / hard to herm , and produces some OK flower at the end, which vaguely resembles the picture and description, for between 5-10 quid a seed.  These days seems to be more and more about pumping out new ‘strains’ with the name of some in vogue clone only attached to it, to tap into pre-existing allure / associations of desirability, giving the people what they think they want.  This can all be achieved without much real breeding work, seed production outsourced for €0.5 a pop.  It’s all just ‘good business’. 

And then you’ve got the newer post-prohibition US breeders, who are slamming together or selfing elite cuts (again, no real breeding work) , doing hype instagram marketing with silly price tags, which only heightens the perceived desirability..   But the reality 9 times out of 10 is the offspring are going to be all over the shop, not necessarily inheriting the best traits from each parent(s), complete with intersex traits popping up like spots on a teenage domino’s workers face.  

There’s very few good breeders (with successful companies) out there who are actually doing serious work to make the best possible stuff or something totally new and interesting in a stable form, because where’s the incentive when the above business models are are comparatively a doddle with potential to make good money….   

My hope is that as the plant is becoming more legal and information is more available, the customers base will shift to being more educated and demanding seeds bred to the standards seen in other agricultural crops….  At least that’s what I tell myself to justify Alfemco, which to date has to be the least profitable seed company in existence lol 

• Like 8