Potting Stages

dingo bingo

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forum for a similar thread but couldn't find anything.... Just wondering what people's experience is with potting stages and what they consider best practice? I've just taken cuttings for my next go and I'm going to be doing 12 x 5L pots under a 600W HPS for the first time. At the moment I'm thinking of these stages.....

• Eazy Plugs
  • 7.6 x 7.6 cm / 0.2 L pots
  • 13 x 12 cm / 1 L pots
  • 16 x 21 cm / 5 L final fabric pots.

Would you do any different? It seems a big jump from the 1 > 5 L pots but I'm thinking the final pots being fabric will help to fill out the space via the air pruning of the roots instead of the circling around in the inside of a plastic pot like I've just seen with my last run of 7.5 > 15 L pots...

Cheers, DB.

Edited by dingo bingo

Sounds ok, you can add 3L but not a must just see that you dont overwater going from 1 to 5 for like first week or so.

I do 0.2 to 3L  and its not best practice as i clog them with water somethimes but they rough it out eventually lol

To add am in coco,just make sure they fully root out the pot before going up

Edited by Herbal Kint

1 minute ago, Bad Apple said:

Eazy plugs 1L 3L 5L 🤔

Its from cut ,might be better to go 0.2l for start imo

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Its from cut ,might be better to go 0.2l for start imo

Cuts can take it , they're already mature innit.

I like potting up but i think @Bad Apple has nailed it, especially for a swift turnaround.

:yinyang:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dingo bingo said:
  • Eazy Plugs
  • 7.6 x 7.6 cm / 0.2 L pots
  • 13 x 12 cm / 1 L pots
  • 16 x 21 cm / 5 L final fabric pots.

I think you're over egging the pudding, and it seems a bit one step forward two steps back to start your cuts off with an air pruning method, only to put them plastic pots and root circle them for a couple of steps and then into final fabrics. 

I do eazy plug (10 days rooting) - eazy cube (<7 days) - final pot (<7 days)  which is generally 8L fabric, and I'm usually watering daily before the end of the week. 

Interesting reading other's approaches. This ended up being my usual, and will be again at some point.... Part of my selection of a plant is that it's keen to root, mind.

TLDR; 3" - 5" - 7"

Decent sized cutting, dipped in whatever rooting hormone, if I have it, in 3" square pots with compost + wormcast (~10%). Watered in with a little seaweed extract + a little aloe vera (about a sq cm/l mashed up so the gunk goes into solution). Into propagator at 21ish c.

When roots well in the bottom, showing active growth, go up to 5" sq pot, just out in the open.

Then same again in final pot, 7" sq X 9" (6.5l) pot with my compost mixed with the stuff I like to add, and flower in that, once I see roots at the bottom.

(ETA...oops, clearly I'm talking soil - presumed wrong that was the forum I was in!)

Edited by j.o.i.n.t