Alien V system possible issues?

Hogro

Afternoon all,

After several years of IWS I fancied a change to RDWC after a fair amount of research. I went with the Alien V system, fantastic equipment but I’m trying to figure out issues I seam to have.

System

- Alien V system.

Water

- 0.4 EC water out the tap.

- 19* water on a chiller so never above 19.6 and never below 18.4.

- EC of 0.8-0.9

- PH of 5.8 but raises to 6.0 after a few days.

Nutrients.

Used to only ever use Dutch Pro after trying out others. Following some research and after advice from a few RDWC & NFT users I’ve gone to “Nutrifield”.

Nutrifield 

- Elements Grow A & B

- Veg ignitor 

- Cargo Boost

- Root nectar

- Alien Root Rot X

Plants put into the system on a weeks ago but the lower leaf’s have started to yellow and a couple of brown spots. All have been veg’d in the X-Stream propagator.

Any ideas on the yellowing? Is it them getting used to the system? 

large.IMG_2024-09-29-153517.jpeg.95348990cb969dc379e1f5ada06b9caf.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153528.jpeg.2c5967945e6f1de34e45182417f9f402.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153552.jpeg.c8629d09fd1f97df6f277e7e8374f6e6.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153623.jpeg.6036bffb3b9877dd27c943bc8d0c2651.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153652.jpeg.2678602474c5c9a4850b5a10ebff13b5.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153722.jpeg.7793e2dfd080385b4b21fb12f5ffe58c.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153751.jpeg.af41b60b0bb2c4d5eed1d23f72b4cb8c.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153800.jpeg.def762bfab68c2ec8fa88a3508eb7581.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153816.jpeg.e4def0cf2bca051add2075caaaf12f03.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-09-29-153833.jpeg.f8a023d101570411bf0f2238a8e79cbc.jpeg

It could be the shock of them going from the prop to the system, its quite a difference, temps are usually at least a few degrees different.

but they were likely in the prop for 7-14 days, and they don't get to take up as much nutrients as they might need, keeping them looking perfectly healthy in the aero prop isn't easy, I usually add a full dose of nutrients as well as Shogun Katana Roots to mine whilst they're rooting. 

I'd say its just a combo of the two as the new growth looks OK in terms of feed, but does look a little cold. 

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

It could be the shock of them going from the prop to the system, its quite a difference, temps are usually at least a few degrees different.

but they were likely in the prop for 7-14 days, and they don't get to take up as much nutrients as they might need, keeping them looking perfectly healthy in the aero prop isn't easy, I usually add a full dose of nutrients as well as Shogun Katana Roots to mine whilst they're rooting. 

I'd say its just a combo of the two as the new growth looks OK in terms of feed, but does look a little cold. 

Bring the water temp between 19 and 20?

Room temp is consistent at 25-26* lights on 21-22* lights off never above or below these temps.

I’ll get some CalMag tomorrow and add it. Nutrient change over tomorrow so will hopefully see some results mid week with the Calmag.

would you say it’s worth adding Silicone? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hogro said:

Bring the water temp between 19 and 20?

Room temp is consistent at 25-26* lights on 21-22* lights off never above or below these temps.

What about water temps? Is it possible the roots were in a nice warm prop then went into a massive 50l bucket of water that was a little cold and shocked them.

What's the current EC of the water once the system has fully mixed?

1 hour ago, Hogro said:

I’ll get some CalMag tomorrow and add it. Nutrient change over tomorrow so will hopefully see some results mid week with the Calmag.

would you say it’s worth adding Silicone? 

yes, but not a lot, see message for details

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GreenVision said:

What about water temps? Is it possible the roots were in a nice warm prop then went into a massive 50l bucket of water that was a little cold and shocked them.

What's the current EC of the water once the system has fully mixed?

Water temps in prop is 19.9 and currently at 18.6 in system. 

EC 0.4 in prop and 0.9 in system. 

If everything is perfect, cos not even I measure the prop temp to a decimal... lol Then only the thing I can imagine is it being is just a shock of being transferred and a combination of the plant eating itself during it rooting phase. I think they'll level out soon. In the prop the roots are only misted, then they're dropped into a huge 50L bucket of swirling water so can be a shock I suppose.

Just me personally also, I'd have stuck to the normal nutrients. Terra Aquatica (Formerly General Hydroponics), Canna Aqua, Advanced Nutrients and Shogun are the ones I've had best results with. I'm not in any way saying those Nutrients aren't great, no idea on that as I've never used them, but the V system is a new'ish system and info from actual home growers is limited, so I'd have stuck with what I know the best while sussing the system out.

Just one more boring babble tho'....... Have you checked for precipitation? Not sure it will apply to you as you water isn't too bad, but I'm in a shitty water area, 0.6 is a good day for me, and MANY good quality nutrients will split within 24 hours of being added, even worse if the water is cold when they're mixed, if I don't RO the water first. Its hard to see with the system running, and given your lower EC out of the tap its unlikely, but I'd suggest turning off the pump for 10 mins and having a good look at the bottom of the buckets to make sure you don't have what will look like a light sand on the bottom. If you see nothing grab something clear like a pint glass, swirl the water really heavily (ie mix it with you hand), quickly scoop a glass of water, leave that in the grow are overnight. If you see solids on the bottom of the glass the next morning that really could be your issue.

Again its unlikely as I believe the V system is constantly moving the water around so hopefully it not an issue for you. 

But fingers crossed they level out for you mate as I'd love to see more grows with the system. Have been interested since Alien released that first video on youtube some years back, and I think only two other growers on here have or are using it, so it'd be really interesting to see how you get on.

I think the issue is due to the roots, or lack of...changing feeds/additives won't help.

There needs to be a decent rootball before going into the system, this could be why the roots

are growing in that single spiral with only the very tips taking in nutes, this twisting around

also leads to reduced oxygen uptake in the root zone both contributing to deficiencies.

Having to promote a rootball and the time it takes is one of the main reasons I quit dwc/rdwc

along with needing a chiller and being unable to move plants around if necessary.

This what I mean by a rootball...

large.DSCN2763.JPG.9c11cea987c2f0ce075c2af5113f782f.JPGlarge.DSCN2764.JPG.cf149be4dfab6e3a0519dcd34b51d030.JPG

I would chop those roots off at the base of the mesh pot and handwater from above

to get the roots moving, she's only young so all you lose is a bit of time.

Good Luck bud

:oldtoker:

they will spiral in an alien tho mate-  as it works on the vortex principle.

not ideal but hey ho

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badbillybob said:

not ideal but hey ho

I didn't know that...in some ways that's even worse...feckers who invented it must have come across this problem before....(easily modified into my system though, just a few bits of pipe and T's...:wassnnme::rofl:)