Weak vape thc juice…. Why? Advice please x

vamp

Hi guys and apologies if Ive posted in the wrong section or the question Im about to ask has been covered, I haven’t been on for years. 

So I’ve taken up vaping the last couple of years but i’m a little worried about continuing to buy the vape pens from the street as they are likely full of crap so have decided to make my own thc vape juice out of the kief I have collected over time. 

I’ve followed the method that is suggested on several sites on line (5g kief into 40 mg mix of vg/pg, heat at a specific temperature for 2-4 hours in double boiler then coffee filter etc) but it’s as weak as dog toffee! I’ve experimented with different times, different vg/pg ratios and even used double then three times the amount of kief but it’s still extremely weak in comparison to the ones I’ve bought off dealers or the ones I’ve tried from dispensaries when visiting the USA. 

Can you guys see what I’m doing wrong? Does anyone have a recipe or technique making vape juice out of kief that has been nice and strong?

many thanks for any replies and advice in advance. 

Vamp x

Edited by vamp

I tried this method first and ended up with the same results as you, awful tasting liquid that doesn’t get you high. 
 I now use live hash rosin and mix it with liquidiser and I add natural terpenes if needed, they are really nice tasting (depending on quality of rosin used) and strong in effect. Also worth saying to use ceramic vape cartridges also as the wick ones don’t work with concentrates. 
The ones you bought from the dispensary was probably made using THC distillate which is a bit trickier to make at home and the equipment for making it is pretty pricey. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Strain_lab said:

I tried this method first and ended up with the same results as you, awful tasting liquid that doesn’t get you high. 
 I now use live hash rosin and mix it with liquidiser and I add natural terpenes if needed, they are really nice tasting (depending on quality of rosin used) and strong in effect. Also worth saying to use ceramic vape cartridges also as the wick ones don’t work with concentrates. 
The ones you bought from the dispensary was probably made using THC distillate which is a bit trickier to make at home and the equipment for making it is pretty pricey. 

Hi mate and cheers for the advice. 

what is the ratio you use of live rosin to liquidiser? Also sorry to sound like a thicky but what is liquidiser?

I forget the exact ratios, will be different for every brand of liquidiser I guess. 

You can find the liquidisers or diluents online, there are U.K. company’s making it and selling it, most sell the natural terpenes along side them. They claim it’s all natural ingredients in it too but best check that for yourself. 

I can’t promote the brands I use here but will pm it to you if you can’t find it. 

• Like 2

I'll preface by saying I can't claim to be any kind of expert but can only talk from my own experience of making several batches of liquid for vaping, I use quiso finished off with a final evap of food grade ethanol, but this topic grabs me as I made the exact same mistake.   I would second what Strain said above, I too have tried using just PG/VG, it was my first time trying and I bet I read all the same "how-to's" as you did, and got the exact same results; I ended up with a filthy bottle with brown oil stains up & down the sides where my oil had stuck to the plastic instead of staying mixed with the carrier fluid, and sloshing around was some unhealthy-piss coloured PG/VG mix that hadn't absorbed the oil.

I'm pretty convinced that's because PG (and even more, VG) just don't mix with oil - you can see this really clearly if you want, drop some oil into a pg/vg mix shake it up and pretty soon you'll see hundreds of little brown spheres where the oil is suspended in the mix, but can't penetrate into the PG/VG so it stays in a wee blob.  This eventually ends up sticking to the first surface it finds which is the bottle side.  I kept my bottle of fail to remind me not to do that again lol

IIRC Greywolf's lair has a great article where they (finally after much trying) got oil to mix with "just" PG, but they ended up using a scientific homogeniser to do it, and even then it naturally separated again after a few days/weeks.

Most of the "liquidiser" products Strain mentions, at least the ones I've seen for sale, seem to be based on PEG blends mixed with PG - and this stuff mixes lovely with your oil.  But I'll agree with Strain again I would do your homework on any such products as it occurs that this could be a bit of a wild-west industry tbh and they all seem massively over-priced as the core ingredients are cheap AF and you could make it at home just like regular home-made e-juice, it's just the exact ratios/etc that aren't public knowledge... which is never a good look 😛 

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 2

I have access to the 80-94% distillate carts available on the Canadian market. They’re quite transparent about how their extracts are made and unless you have thousands of pounds worth of lab gear, you’ll never get what you want. They certainly don’t use leftovers or shake. 

They’re great but not even close to quality flower in a vape at low temps, so put away all your gunk and kief oil and get some Canadian friends. 🥳

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmeh said:

IIRC Greywolf's lair has a great article where they (finally after much trying) got oil to mix with "just" PG, but they ended up using a scientific homogeniser to do it

This method uses just vegetable glycerin;
https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/9-diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-6-glycerol-extraction/

I made some using this recipe, but think I should have used decarbed weed, it wasn’t strong at all, but lovely flavour and no smell from exhaled vapour. I squished the mixture through 25u syringe filters after leaving for 6 months, before use. The liquid was a lovely clear golden colour and I vaped it in a kanthal vape cart. 

• Like 1