Spec check?

Hazeworks

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

Easier to just buy a different brand that hasn't had complaints than get to the bottom of the issue IMO. 

Easier not to quote questionable threads where the user couldn't even tell us what depth of carbon his filter was,

the first claim was that it was a 100mm bed,

bed you cannot get a CarboAir 100 in the size that was mentioned,

which raises doubt in my mind straight away.

I try to speak from experience,

rather than perpetuating iffy claims.

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

I'd say that defys common sense IMO. To me common sense would be designing your CF to work properly with a fan of the same size. 

Bull,

don't we specify for airflow when pairing up a fan and filter?????

Atb

☯️

PS. my fans and filters are the same diameter as each other and I have no problems with smells leaking from my filters no matter what speed my fans are running at.

👍

• Like 1

We're hijacking a thread to repeat what's already been said on multiple others. Literally the same debate we had on that thread I quoted lol, flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

The point I'm making is that issues have been reported and that those reports where enough to put me off buying one, which is all pretty irrefutable. I felt it was worth making OP aware of those reports so they could make an informed decision. Everything else (as far as I'm concerned) is speculative and one word against another, an unsolvable riddle. 

Either a 6 inch filter is the right size for a 6 inch fan or it isn't :headpain:. I'm not sure I understand the point you're making with that TBH. 

Sorry OP :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Haha 1

chill guys lol

so i see a few people use them electric tube heaters, would 2 be enough to keep temps up? or is one enough in a small tent

• Like 1

lol I don't think either of us are "unchilled", text on a screen tends to seem a bit more hostile than it actually is a lot of the time, easy to misunderstand each other as well. Huge respect for @Shumroom and his opinions, doesn't mean we have to agree on everything though. 

To answer your question, it depends, you can get tube heaters in all different sizes and everyone's grow tent/room is in a different place so will have different heating requirements. They're quite expensive per watt in comparison to other heaters though, if you have the space then an oil rad will be cheaper per watt of power and with heaters bigger is better. Run it off a temperature controller and it won't cost any more to run a big one than a small one. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

I use acoustic ducting and yes it does make a difference.

I don't recommend using it for intake ducting though - as it is fabric lined it has a habit of collecting (a lot of) dust and if you adjust it (without realising/cleaning) it will cough a big cloud of dust into your tent. So don't do that!

It does reduce the woosh of air noise though so you can't hear my fan outside of the house at all and inside the house its quiet running at 7 or below.

The stuff I got was French, expensive and really quite good. Solid to fit as well as the lining makes it easy to create a really good seal and isn't basically tinfoil like some of them!

Edited by DeltaMelter
tinfoil hats
  • Like 3

People use heat mats all the way through the grow. I have one but TBH it rarely comes on, the air temperature in my tent keeps them warm enough for the most part, better to have it and not need it though IMO. It's another one where different set up may require it more or less or not at all, a tent on a cold concrete garage floor vs a second story bedroom type thing. For the cold concrete a bit of something to insulate the tent from the floor goes a long way. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

@Hazeworks Personally I set mine at 23C and bury the probe about an inch from the bottom of the pot on final pot-up. Some folks use 24C or 25C but I find that dries them out a wee bit. In the summer its not really needed and they don't really come on during lights-on.

• Like 3

As @MindSoup says,

It can sometimes seem a lot more quite hostile in text form than in reality. 

It would be a boring world if we all interpret everything in the same way xxx

I also respect MindSoup and his opinions :thumsup:

I use heat mats in combination with tubes in my growing areas. 

I also have to use an oil radiator for about half of the year to heat the lung room. 

A lot will depend on the individual situation/location etc. 

Plus I'd consider coco over compost,

but only if you haven't already bought it and the nutrients  :)

Atb 

☯️

• Like 1

Just a little add on, consider taking air in at the top of you tent, so it has time to heat up while passing your light. Extract through your filter placed on the floor. Will make heating your space a bit more economical, at the expense of some floor space.

• Like 2

So I placed the order last night, and when I was trying to get to sleep, realised I have not ordered a timer for the light, is an old skool mechanical timer OK, or get something more fancy? 

• Like 2