Blumat Digital Moisture Sensor If You Have Used It, Is It Worth It?

MidgeSmith

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Easy solution to that. Pre treat your soil with nematodes, cheap, easy and they stay in the soil even when there's no larvae to eat. 

Yeah, I know that it isn't sufficient for living soil, it's just a nice halfway house.  I use Biobizz in conjunction with the ecothrive.  Until I have completely committed one way or other, I guess it is my best compromise.  Living soil vs hydro.  Hydro might suit my once a year indoor growing cycle better in the end, I dunno.

I am extremely grateful for you pointing out that organic nutrients couldn't be used with the Blumats.  Though I don't understand why not, I didn't know that was the case! I woud have fucked that up or at least bought them and then found out too late!!!

I would use nematodes, but I have already treated the soil thoroughly with Diatomaceous earth as half the soil is being reused and had fungus gnats before.  So I dried the whole lot out thoroughly, added a load of diatomaceous earth and am now reusing it.  No fungus gnats, but I believe were I to introduce nematodes if they reoccur, they'd be killed by the diatomaceous earth content and so would be a waste. 

2 hours ago, growinggold said:

clover mpc, canna terra salt feeds veg n bloom, reset tropf blumats each run, rainwater.  leave em alone. 

Is all you need for some decent grade. imo. 

yes I don't get nominated for cotc, do I care, no. does my bud get me high as hell. yes. 

i visit my shed/grow like twice a week. it's hands off as you like. 

Yeah, I am happy with what I get.  I've got some of the best Ketama buds at the moment which are like rocks and smell and taste like heaven.  I just like to keep faffing in case there are better ways and so on... You know how it is.

16 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

Living soil vs hydro.  Hydro might suit my once a year indoor growing cycle better in the end, I dunno.

Most likely small pots and liquid feeds would make sense yeah, although there's nothing wrong with starting them in nutrient rich soil first to delay the first feed. Or like I said earlier, follow the biotabs regime, they've been recommended toe by one of the best/most knowledgeable growers I know. His results with them have been incredible. 

I don't understand why not

Short answer biofilm. If you read that low maintenance way thread you'll see a better explanation. My friend has been getting away with using organic liquid feeds with autopots and h&g bat mix, he's getting good results but has to clean his reservoir very regularly and the smell is horrendous, probably wouldn't recommend that either TBH, I do like autopots though, some of those with salt feeds could ba a good alternative/variation of the low maintenance way. 

diatomaceous earth

Never used it so can't say for sure but my understanding is that its harmful when dry but not so when wet, hence why people generally dust the top of the soil instead of mixing it in. If it can harm things when wet it will also be harming all your other beneficials so I would probably steer clear of it in living soil.  

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Most likely small pots and liquid feeds would make sense yeah, although there's nothing wrong with starting them in nutrient rich soil first to delay the first feed. Or like I said earlier, follow the biotabs regime, they've been recommended toe by one of the best/most knowledgeable growers I know. His results with them have been incredible. 

Short answer biofilm. If you read that low maintenance way thread you'll see a better explanation. My friend has been getting away with using organic liquid feeds with autopots and h&g bat mix, he's getting good results but has to clean his reservoir very regularly and the smell is horrendous, probably wouldn't recommend that either TBH, I do like autopots though, some of those with salt feeds could ba a good alternative/variation of the low maintenance way. 

Never used it so can't say for sure but my understanding is that its harmful when dry but not so when wet, hence why people generally dust the top of the soil instead of mixing it in. If it can harm things when wet it will also be harming all your other beneficials so I would probably steer clear of it in living soil.  

There's some very helpful reasoning here thanks.

Biotabs, I have heard them mentioned, I will look into what they are.  I'm imagining slow release currently, but I will find out.

Biofilm, check, I thank you. You are right, no, bats stink!

I mixed it in dry on dry to hopefully disrupt the eggs and flies.  I have no idea if it worked - except there are none coming out of the soil I have wetted, so hopefully.  I was just following instructions.  I had used it on top during the infestation and it didn't seem to do much.  I only reuse the soil twice for my grows, so next grow I will nematode the cunts if they come back!!! You're right, once it is wet it doesn't seem to do much. I doubt it would affect fungus or bacteria the same way, but I will live and learn. It's vile stuff though, I won't be buying any more.

Thanks for the advice as ever. It is very much appreciated.  I might need to learn by my own mistakes, but you give me some good nodes to work from. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MidgeSmith said:

I'm imagining slow release

Correct 

1 minute ago, MidgeSmith said:

bats stink!

Yes but I'm referring to the nutrients in the reservoir, the smell makes me wish I had COVID again lol

2 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

doubt it would affect fungus or bacteria the same way

Probably not, but soil mites, rove beetles, predators, worms etc will be harmed by it as well. 

57 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yes but I'm referring to the nutrients in the reservoir, the smell makes me wish I had COVID again lol

Probably not, but soil mites, rove beetles, predators, worms etc will be harmed by it as well. 

Ah like Biobizz left in the sprayer for a week in the warm 😕 Richard Osman's pants.

Ah yes re: D Earth not a problem in my soil, but well worth knowing in case I do go large :)

Ta and ATB :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

I see you're familiar of the abhorrence of week old biobizz as well lol:puke: I honestly don't know how he puts up with it. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Haha 1

Have a look at Ecowitt Soil sensors. You’ll need to buy the gateway as well which has T&H sensor with it. Once you have the gateway, you can have as many sensors as you like. The sensors are <£20 and there are different gateways you can use and they range from £25-50. They’re battery operated. 
I’ve used them for the last 4/5 grows and they’ve been pretty reliable. I’ve only used them in 50l pots though 👍🏼

• Like 1

Ecowitts aren't worth using either IME, none of the electromagnetic ones are accurate. People have been reporting 2 sensors an inch apart reading 10% different from each other. Mine sits unused next to the two blumat sensors lol

Edited by MindSoup

You'd think there would be a decent, digital solution for automatic drip feeding/watering by now. It's 2024 and we've had new, reliable light tech, ec fan motors, bluetooth controllers, smart plugs, hardly anything for watering tech. AC Infinity will hopefully tackle soil meters and/or auto watering solutions soon. Watch this space. 

Does anyone use a simple solenoid valve in a gravity system? I did some research recently, solenoids are more complex than they seem but have potential I reckon

• Like 1

You really would think they had this sorted by now.  I'm guessing the £200+ sensors are somewhat better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Here it is

I'm in the middle of several things, so I can't take as much time to digest it as I should, but after a brief look, it seems those options are the DIY route and still therefore a touch intimidating and unpredictable.  Commercial ops must have a defacto supplier that is dearer, but consistent.

I will keep looking, but thank you very much for digging those out.  I will take a proper look later :)