Blumat Digital Moisture Sensor If You Have Used It, Is It Worth It?

MidgeSmith

Hi,

I keep wanting to water via a system such as Blumat to maintain the optimal moisture levels in my 12.5L Ecothrive soil air-pots.  I don't take the plunge because I am afraid ha ha.  The consequences of flooding etc are a bit worrisome...

Anyway, I was thinking a safer option would be to install a Blumat Digital Mositure in each of my 3 or 4 pots so I would know when to water for optimal moisture and not letting the pots dry out too far.  YES, I KNOW I can lift the pots (even when scrogged) and I've kind of got the knack of not overwatering, but I just wondered... 

If you have used Blumat Digital Moisture Sensors or very similar, did it result in a better yield, healthier crop etc, or was it only as good as the wet dry cycle that manual watering usually gives.

How much difference is there between organic soil growing with manually watering and the same via a Blumat system?  Does it JUST remove hassle or does it result in a better yield?

Finally, should be afraid of a Blumat style irrigation system, or embrace it (I don't want to go to a timed pump system for soil because there are too many variables, though I used to use it for rockwool hydroponics back in the day)

Cheers.

Plumb in a Danish tray or Medusa is the first rule of blumat club. Ideally, you’ll need your plants above ground, with a drain bucket the same volume as the reservoir. Nothing to be scared of just keep it simple and you’ll love it. I do this in coco but in soil there’s no telling if it’ll improve your yield.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

Blumat Digital Moisture Sensors

A friend gifted me and old one which wouldn't seal so I bought a brand new one that had the exact same problem. Even after very carefully setting it up it would have a noticeable air pocket within an hour or so even with PTFE. It wouldn't recommend them at all TBH. I've not actually tried one but apparently the irrometer tensiometers are much better, but I don't want to spend over 100 quid to find out. I also have an ecowitt, but they're also pretty unreliable/inaccurate. I now use my finger to check if my bed is in the right range as it's worked as good if not better than any sensor I've used. 

I wouldn't say you necessarily need a Danish/Medusa with a drain, I've managed for 3 years without one. Runways do happen though so you definitely want a tray under the beds/pots to catch any run off, maybe sit your beds/pots a couple of inches off the tray. I've had the bottom of my bed a half inch under water for a few days at a time without it causing any real issues. If it's just a little bit I let mine evaporate, if it's a lot I mop it up with a towel. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Plumb in a Danish tray or Medusa is the first rule of blumat club. Ideally, you’ll need your plants above ground, with a drain bucket the same volume as the reservoir. Nothing to be scared of just keep it simple and you’ll love it. I do this in coco but in soil there’s no telling if it’ll improve your yield.. 

Hi and thanks for the reply.  I thought it would be even more useful in soil because of the propensity to drown roots.  It is good to know. I have no headroom to elevate the pots.  In order to achieve a safe drain-off, I'd have to drill a hole in the floor of the shed and let it flood to outside in the case of an emergency.  Sub-optimal, but possible with some kind of gentle valve to prevent insect ingress I guess.

Very useful suggestion though, cheers.

Always the option of a £60 condensate pump if you can’t elevate the pots, then just channel the hose pipe out of the room, but you’ll still need Medusa’s or Danish for that 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

Yeah I was about to say the same thing, if you were really worried you could have an automatic pump that takes it from the tray to a different reservoir or something like that, but I honestly don't think it will matter too much if the beds get a bit flooded from time to time, it's never caused me an issue. 

I do have a DEEP tray with them in that'd probably hold a few gallons, b ut I had never heard of a condensate pump, that'd be the way forward, cheers!

I'm still not sure whether I should go hydro or stay in organic soil.  This current grow will probably decide for me.  If I go hydro though I will be automating that side and it WILL be a no-brainer.  If I stay in soil, it'd still; be nice, but less of a huge deal I guess.

fk em.

mk1 finger n big tray for me. 

don't wanna jinx myself here, done good few blumat grows now n been really lazy with checking n i think I've a leak once.  tray caught it all. not big issue imo. dont over think blumats. good kit leave em it. i only even set em up n leave em. don't tinker imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

I'm still not sure whether I should go hydro or stay in organic soil

You'll get all manor of opinions on that one lol. They all have their benefits and downsides, but if you master any one of them you can get huge yields of top shelf bud so it comes down to personal preference in my eyes. People say Organic tastes better, I don't necessarily agree with that, maybe at the highest level, but a lot of weed grown with salts is still absolutely delicious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, growinggold said:

dont over think blumats

Very good advice, people get themselves all wrapped up in circles trying to figure them out. Like you say the less you mess with them the better. Also reset them every run. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

People say Organic tastes better, I don't necessarily agree with that, maybe at the highest level, but a lot of weed grown with salts is still absolutely delicious.

This has been my experience too :) A friend of mine grows hydro in coco and gets peachy results too.  I've no problem with soil other than dealing with fuggin fungus gnats.

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

12.5L

Going back to this. If you're planning on water only and dry amendments then 12.5l pots won't be big enough, you'll want 50L minimum. If you don't mind feeding liquid towards the end then it won't be an issue, but you can't run organic nutrients through blumats.  Bio tabs will open up plain water small pot organic growing, but they're not cheap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

fungus gnats.

Easy solution to that. Pre treat your soil with nematodes, cheap, easy and they stay in the soil even when there's no larvae to eat. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

clover mpc, canna terra salt feeds veg n bloom, reset tropf blumats each run, rainwater.  leave em alone. 

Is all you need for some decent grade. imo. 

yes I don't get nominated for cotc, do I care, no. does my bud get me high as hell. yes. 

i visit my shed/grow like twice a week. it's hands off as you like. 

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 2

@growinggold The low maintenance way! 

Works a bloody treat, I've put a couple of mates onto this method now and it's the easiest, lowest input way to grow weed I've found to date. 

• Like 1