Tiny white insects in run off

BudJ

I've just noticed whilst watering the girls tiny little white things in the run-off.  I thought it was just debris from the soil at first but looking through the loupe they are definitely insects.  Quite a few of them.  Really tiny, smaller than a grain of rice and very white.

First time I've had anything like this and I never grabbed a pic as they'd be too small to see.   A quick google says they could be springtails.  Both plants are thriving with no signs of leaf damage.  I've just flipped to 12/12 and now worried this might develop into something bad.

Any idea what it could be?

Springtails come free with most bags of commercial compost, fortunately they don't seem to do much harm and only eat dead material.

I think there are  products that can deal with them if you need to.

• Like 3

If they look like little white maggots with black heads then they're fungus gnat larvae which can do quite a lot of damage, if they have legs and antenna then as others have said they're springtails and nothing to really worry about. 

Both are a sign of over watering though, maybe let them have a few hard dry backs to see if it gets rid of them. 

• Like 1