Root riot cubes gone crap?

The only time I've had trouble with Root Riot is when I've had them for ages and they start to degrade....ie: falling apart at the touch.

But other than that, I'll keep using them as I only get 20+ at a time so it's no big loss.

9 hours ago, MindSoup said:

It seems a no brainer really, most of us already have a bag of it sat there and I really can't see any improvement with plugs/jiffys at all. I used to work in a commercial propogation greenhouse (perennials not weed) and that's all we ever used to use other than with the tissue culture room.

Jiffy is relatively sterile compared to potting mix , especially any which are not just peat (with lime an nutes).  

What plant(s) was the TC room used for? 

• Like 1

I sometimes use compost to root cuttings but the reason I like jiffys or riots is you can see the roots pretty quick, sometimes with compost it takes a while to see the roots and I get a bit of a panic on as I usually only take 2 cuts.

• Like 1

Always had the best success rate with Eazy Plugs but do find they have a tendency to grow algae with strains that take a while to root 

11 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

What plant(s) was the TC room used for? 

I can't really remember to be honest, I wasn't involved with any of that side of things hardly ever stepped foot in the door. The whole nursery was essentially hardy perennials, lots of open ground stuff, total opposite end of the spectrum to TC, I think the TC area might have served a different purpose, but what it was I'm not sure. 

:ninja:

Edited by MindSoup
3 hours ago, KC said:

I get a bit of a panic on as I usually only take 2 cuts.

Heh, yeah. I'd do 4/6 if I wanted 2, to avoid said panic, then pick the pretty girls and kill the rest for not pleasing me.... (don't partially quote me) :D

• Haha 1