Root riot cubes gone crap?

Always bought bags of root riot 100’s by growth tech. Last few months probably a year actually they’ve gone crap you open the bag the cubes fall apart in your hand as your taking cuttings or there not the proper shape with loads of the cube missing. The question is for anyone who buys them have they been the same for you and country wide?. Went to take a load of cuttings and 32 of the blocks in a bag of a hundred are crap and unusable. Anyone else noticed the same of late.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

The question is for anyone who buys them have they been the same for you and country wide?. Went to take a load of cuttings and 32 of the blocks in a bag of a hundred are crap and unusable. Anyone else noticed the same of late.

ooft - root riots haven't been right since about 2016 mate, when they started coming exactly as you described. It was then I switched over to Eazy Cubes and never looked back.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Gsyrup said:

ooft - root riots haven't been right since about 2016 mate, when they started coming exactly as you described. It was then I switched over to Eazy Cubes and never looked back.

Is that the Easy Plug ones?

I'm looking to buy some more cubes soon and wanted try something different from Root Riots.

Edited by Military Grade
missed a word
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Is that Easy Plug ones?

I'm looking to buy some more cubes soon and wanted try something different from Root Riots.

Yep exactly them mate -they come dry, and they're a little smaller, but the material is nicer and the product is very consistent. I've yet to have a bad batch.

Im shocked that in nearly 10 years Growth Tech haven't been able to sort this issue out and the Root Riots are still coming incorrect, albeit inconsistently - but right or wrong, there are lads who rely on  the propagation cubes coming as advertised - it might mean bills aren't getting paid or no food on the table.

Edited by Gsyrup
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Gsyrup said:

Iv been lucky up till now tbh with only probably 5-10 being shit in the 100’s bags. Iv a bag of those eazy cubes I forgot about I’ll try those. I’ll be slinging the bag of root riots at the shop owner Monday .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've used Rootit sponge cubes for years with no issues, occasionally some are a bit

mishapen but still perfectly useable. :yep:

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I've used Rootit sponge cubes for years with no issues, occasionally some are a bit

mishapen but still perfectly useable. :yep:

There hydrogardens take on the root riots arnt they? . Tried em years ago where ok the shop I use don’t deal with hydrogen so they don’t stock those . I’m gonna try these eazy cubes.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

Jiffys

I think I bought some dodgy ones last time, not sure if it was the garden centre or the growshop, absolute shiite. I don't think they were the actual brand jiffy though (it is a brand right?)

Have you tried just rooting in potting mix? I've tried just about everything apart from an aerocloner and soil works just as good as anything else IME. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KC said:

I think I bought some dodgy ones last time, not sure if it was the garden centre or the growshop, absolute shiite. I don't think they were the actual brand jiffy though (it is a brand right?)

Yeah want to get actual Jiffy ones.  Sounds like you got an imitation product.  

IMO they are the best thing for a number of reasons.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Have you tried just rooting in potting mix? I've tried just about everything apart from an aerocloner and soil works just as good as anything else IME. 

That's where I ended up, yes!

• Like 1

It seems a no brainer really, most of us already have a bag of it sat there and I really can't see any improvement with plugs/jiffys at all. I used to work in a commercial propogation greenhouse (perennials not weed) and that's all we ever used to use other than with the tissue culture room.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1