What fertilizer to use? Urgent help needed

NorthernLightz

Hi guys, September has started and half my plants still haven't entered flowering (due to the shit weather and my very late plant out).

I'm thinking of buying some sulphate of potash due to that very high potassium value, but my colleague says it's probably better to give them tomato feed instead.

What do you guys reckon? It's my last day before going away for holiday so I really need an answer fast. Has to be something I can pick up from a local shop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ask why they suggest tomato feed.

Imo dry ferts if your going away top dress and water in abit with a litre and then the rain will do the rest of the granules ontop over a period of time, liquid feeds get washed out the medium if there's a period of rain .

Slow and steady feed not quick and strong

Edited by Brother B
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Brother B said:

Ask why they suggest tomato feed.

Imo dry ferts if your going away top dress and water in abit with a litre and then the rain will do the rest of the granules ontop over a period of time, liquid feeds get washed out the medium if there's a period of rain .

Slow and steady feed not quick and strong

First of all, she doesn't know what plant it is I'm growing lol, second, tomato feed is good for pretty much anything. I have heard people using tomato feed on cannabis and it worked.

But I thought potash would be better as well as its slow release and much higher in potassium. Plus I won't need to fuck about with these shit ass spray bottles that break after one use :wallbash:

• Like 3

Sulphate of potash if they have started to flower which they should be doing or being doing soon due to the hours of day light dropping,depends on cultivars .

How long you going away for?

Do the plants look hungry?

As @Brother B Said dry ferts,slow n steady👍

Edited by stayup4ever
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, stayup4ever said:

Sulphate of potash if they have started to flower which they should be doing or being doing soon due to the hours of day light dropping,depends on cultivars .

How long you going away for?

Do the plants look hungry?

As @Brother B Said dry ferts,slow n steady👍

I have 2 of the 5 starting to flower. The rest must be close too. I'm going away for a week, the plants are not showing any signs of nutrient deficiency as the soil is fertile as fuck as it is.

The reason I want to feed them something high in potassium is to speed up the flowering process and get the most out of my small plants before worse weather comes and the buds start rotting.

• Like 2

i wouldn't worry to much then if its only for a week. chuck abit of sulphate of potash down on the couple that are flowering if you want to mate. dont go crazy with it though,you can add more further down the line.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stayup4ever said:

i wouldn't worry to much then if its only for a week. chuck abit of sulphate of potash down on the couple that are flowering if you want to mate. dont go crazy with it though,you can add more further down the line.

Picking some up soon, thank you for the help mate 👍

• Like 2

Sounds like your pretty confident with your knowledge anyways regarding feeds, im sure your plants will reflect your growing skills in the end. 

Bon voyage 

• Like 3

Quit spraying them and feed the roots some of that tomato fertilizer mixed with water is the quickest way to get nutrients to the roots

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NorthernLightz said:

people using tomato feed on cannabis and it worked.

We try not to encourage him lol

The reason we don't advocate 'mato feed is mostly the fact it is very potent, solanum lycopersicum (syn. Lycopersicon esculentum)  is a gluttonous bastard compared to cannabis and the fertiliser reflects this.

You'll notice when "tomorite" is recommended as a general purpose plant feed its almost always fed at half strength on everything except toms.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I've had a few drink so excuse me if I say somethinf retarded:

28 minutes ago, bfehillbilly said:

Quit spraying them and feed the roots some of that tomato fertilizer mixed with water is the quickest way to get nutrients to the roots

I'm not spraying them since my spray bottle broke, no way I'm buying that shit for the third time. I'm gonna go with slow realease fertilizers from now on.

9 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The reason we don't advocate 'mato feed is mostly the fact it is very potent,

whatdo you mean? It's only 4-3-8. While sulphate of potash is 0-0-48. Do I need phosphorus for flowering too or is that mostly for veg? Sorry, first time growing cannabis

• Like 1

I use tomato feed indoors and at the polytunnel. On the GG plots, I use a range of different amendments and fertilisers depending on the soil. That's the key as far as I'm concerned. What kind of soil do you have? That might help determine what amendments to use.

My current GG grow is mostly in very sandy, gritty soil that has few nutrients. So I use a belt and braces approach: dry fertilisers, slow release granules, lots of organic material (coco coir, compost, manure, straw, hay) plus the occasional boost of liquid feed when I visit (once a fortnight only). I use liquid seaweed, nettle tea, Flower Power...

If growing in heavy clay I take a slightly different approach as the soil is full of nutrients anyway.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Crow River said:

I use tomato feed indoors and at the polytunnel. On the GG plots, I use a range of different amendments and fertilisers depending on the soil. That's the key as far as I'm concerned. What kind of soil do you have? That might help determine what amendments to use.

My current GG grow is mostly in very sandy, gritty soil that has few nutrients. So I use a belt and braces approach: dry fertilisers, slow release granules, lots of organic material (coco coir, compost, manure, straw, hay) plus the occasional boost of liquid feed when I visit (once a fortnight only). I use liquid seaweed, nettle tea, Flower Power...

If growing in heavy clay I take a slightly different approach as the soil is full of nutrients anyway.

Hello mate.

The original soil is clay, so it's full of nutrients, that's why I went easy on fertiliziers up until now. I dug holes and filled them with 50% compost, 50% top soil and about 2 handfuls of bonemeal to help the roots strenghten and dig deeper into the clay. I gave them some seaweed fertilizer I made at home only once, so that can be ignored, it done fuck all. Other than that they have not got anything because they look healthy. Reason I'm asking this question is purely for the flowering stage. I want to speed it up or get bigger buds because I'm not seeing them produce too many buds. 

• Like 2

Just now, NorthernLightz said:

Reason I'm asking this question is purely for the flowering stage. I want to speed it up or get bigger buds because I'm not seeing them produce too many buds. 

TBH your initial approach seems sound, I would have used fish, blood and bone but bonemeal's good too. I'm certainly no expert but I reckon lack of buds could be down to environmental factors rather than fertiliser. Tomato feed is fine to boost flowering, you could also top dress round the girls with bonemeal and some compost. Some growers swear by comfrey tea, I haven't used it myself but I do use nettle tea, diluted 1:10 with water. It has a bit of nitrogen, plenty of potassium, and trace elements too. Another thing you can try if the plants look hungry or lacking nitrogen is your own pee. :D Dilute at least 1:5 (I do 1:10) before feeding. I mean, you're always carrying some to the plot anyway... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2