Fan Spare / Upgrade

Axiom

Hey,  I'm looking to retire my old Tornado 8" box fan which I use with CarboAir 60 filters. 

Any recommendations for a suitable upgrade and which controller to get? 

I have a dehumidifier by PRoBreeze and it does the trick so would it need to be linked to a controller or just run separately?

Im asking as I'm a bit out of the loop on this stuff but know that the controllers are working with much more than just the inlet and extraction fans these days?\

🕊️

I'd recommend the GAS Enviro V2 controller, 

but I think there's a more up to date version now. 

If noise is a concern,

the Revolution Vector Silenced v2 is what I bought as an upgrade for my squeeky AC Infinity. 

If it's not such a big deal,

then I believe K Series fans are meant to be the bees knees :)

Atb 

☯️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

I'd recommend the GAS Enviro V2 controller, 

but I think there's a more up to date version now. 

same firmware just two extra auxillery sockets and no AC fan controller built in - if somebody isn't going to use the extra auxillary sockets they'd be better off getting the V2 as its cheaper and its technically a more capable unit (with having the AC fan cont built in)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shumroom said:

If noise is a concern,

the Revolution Vector Silenced v2 is what I bought as an upgrade for my squeeky AC Infinity. 

If it's not such a big deal,

then I believe K Series fans are meant to be the bees knees :)

I mean honestly noise isn't a huge deal as it's the outhouse. It still matters a lot though but I presuppose that any EC fan is gonna sound way less noisy than my tornado box fan... it's got quite a boomy bass tone to it when running high speed from listening on the outside in the summer- so I hope that gets minimised.. That's with phonic trap which feeds into a long 10inch duct.

Squeaky you say? Which version AC do you have? I'm hoping it was a one-off error as with many mass manufactured electrical equipment. 

@Gsyrup

That was really helpful actually thanks. 

That means I can buy the gear in staggered intervals and can use the old version straight off the bat with my tornado fan.

Right now I'm seeing 4 options for enviro controllers on the GAS website. It's a little confusing I went from thinking there was 1 to 2 to 4. in the space of an hour. lol 

I just want the one that does the same as my old skool SMS Twin or slightly better. 

• Like 2

Instead of the Enviro V2,

Decided on the G.A.S. DIGITAL AC EC

The Enviro v2 seems like overkill. Although I'd like the extra features I don't really need them as I have a Data logger for both humidity and temp already and my dehumidifier has auto settings and RH control.

Money in mi pocket but I just can't get no love  :music:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Axiom said:

Instead of the Enviro V2,

Decided on the G.A.S. DIGITAL AC EC

The Enviro v2 seems like overkill. Although I'd like the extra features I don't really need them as I have a Data logger for both humidity and temp already and my dehumidifier has auto settings and RH control.

Money in mi pocket but I just can't get no love  :music:

I have this exact controller. mustard. I don't use the ac ports but I do use the ec ports. no outlets for dehumidifier or humidifier but great having the min and max, day and night temp & humidity controls. also supports inlet and outlet fans with negative pressure balancing

kudos 👏

I use inkbird for my dehumidifier

I may go for the v2 though as I don't trust my Chinese cheap crap anymore

if you need help setting it up just shout but it's pretty easy, trun the dial to select the setting you want, push to select and then choose a value and push again to set

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 2

@sweettooth

So I first decided to save some ££ and look into the Ultra EC Silenced by Rhino.

I've decded instead that I'll most likely go AC Infinity Cloudline T Series (which comes with a competent controller).. like I said  I don't really want all the extras. My dehumidifier has a target RH function too so that can work independently.

The controller and Vector / Rhino  combo would cost significantly more. 

I just went through a mild summer with extraction only and did just fine. 
Will probably stop summer grows due to power cuts and chopper IR tech stuff. Hm.

Slightly concerned about the lower max airflow but I guess that its offset by a less steep pressure drop and other efficiencies. Oh and also the fact that there have been some rarely reported errors: the app update messes up the firmware on the fan and it starts behaving erratically. 

I hope the difference between this and the old squirrel cage box fan will make the switch worthwhile.

Update: I looked at the Cloudline T series reviews and it turns out the controller is absolute shite... a lot of claims that they are Chinese clones etc. Wish the shopping experience in growing was much easier so I could focus on the plants themselves. 

Choosing a fan and controller is turning into a week long ordeal. 

Might just fork out the extra and go with the Rhino Ultra EC or Vector. 

4 minutes ago, Axiom said:

Might just fork out the extra and go with the Rhino Ultra EC or Vector. 

systemair revolutions (they're the vectors, arent they?) are well worth the money, highly recommended - Hyperfans are also good, but require additional connections to make it work with the fan controller you previously mentioned.

• Like 1

I have 2 hyperfans,  louder than the ac infinity, only used as a spare in my veg tent now, can whine quite a bit

@Axiom do yourself a favour and grab a revolution and a gas controller..can't go wrong

buy proper, buy once,  buy cheap buy twice

• Like 5

Rhino EC Ultra Silenced falls in between the Revolution and the Hyperfan. 

Revo is luxury and the best.

Rhino is competent and does the job.

Phresh Hyperfan is the budget constrained choice

That's the way I'm seeing it
... not too keen on it being bright red though. 

Edited by Axiom

Just now, Axiom said:

Rhino is competent and does the job.

Phresh Hyperfan is the budget constrained choice

Not true, I'd rate the phresh more highly than rhino products.  Rhino products have been plagued with issues on and off over the years, and its been passed pillar to post between suppliers.

1 minute ago, Axiom said:

... not too keen on it being bright red though. 

They make it red and black (like Mills) because its the same colours as the Albanian flag and the Albanians buy it because of that (I wish I was making that up lol)

• Haha 6

ChatGPT told me Rhino is better so it MUST be true lol ..

Ok it's just that I presumed the Rhinos are more expensive than the Phresh and therefore better build quality.