John Innes growing medium

disco survivor

I used it years back, the plants grew fine in it. It does set hard, even with a rose but as long as theplant was ok i didn't mind that. My problem with it was how much it weighed. I decided to run my suicide cheese cut in a 25 ltr pot and used JI no3. I had to get it in the loft with a fully vegged plant, I'd not long had spinal surgery either so probably not my best decision lol

• Like 2

if you are going non organic i recommend coco, it's way more forgiving than you think, far faster and easier than compost, and i used to be anti hydro lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KC said:

@ratdog

I don't know how anything can be easier than compost, you don't even have to pH it. Surely less watering too?

i think that knowing your nutrients precisely is such a great thing, also the ph'ing only really needs to be done once or twice during a grow, once you know your ph/ec you just copy your doses until you want to adjust/flip, which when you are confident will be minimal. as for watering i barely ever watered to run off once they were rooted, and not much before that, i was lazy as fuck tbh. and i certainly didn't need to water more than once a day/2 days

there seems to be more of a watering issue if you are going for tiny pots, i just copied my pot size and usually ended up in 7.5 to 10 ltr pots, i had some huge colas.

• Like 2

@ratdog

Well thats handy to know so thanks for that. I do wonder how it would work doing perpetual grows like I do though, would I have to make specific feeds for everything, i.e the various stages of veg then the same in flower, that would be a ball ache. Maybe if I ever have to do a crop I'll give it ago..... but that's something I really hate, with perpetual you're never watching the pot as it were, stuff just seems to go in one week next thing you know it's done, not like when you're watching everything and counting the weeks.

Anyway, some food for thought for me :yep:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

I do wonder how it would work doing perpetual grows like I do though, would I have to make specific feeds for everything

i was never selective, i fed everything from rooted to end of veg at anywhere between 1.6-1.8ec (includes cal mag) and the same at second week of flower in bloom nutes, i was too lazy to worry about each individual plant, and of course if you are just running cuts you can keep it very simple.

• Like 1