2x2 grow

Nate420MP

I’m on my second grow and struggling with heat and humidity as usual. Can anyone recommend a decent sized ac for a 2x2 I don’t want anything that spray water mist 

• Like 2

Are you talking about real Air Conditioning as apposed to an Air Cooler?

Is this 2x2 in feet or meters?

And how is the logistics of your grow to accommodate the integration of AC?  example Grow space type, size and location ect 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Air conditioning unit would be the best option really with the lights off tempt stays 28c I’m just looking for something small enough that would cool my temps I already have two fans inside tent one 6inch ac infinity and one tower fan 

• Like 2

What's your lights on temps?

I try to keep the change in temps from lights on and off as close as I can, this is to stop the big swing in humidity when the lights go out. Mine avgs 26c off/28c on, warm lights off temps ain't a issue in most cases.

Is the grow space located in a room in a house or in loft/shed? When in a room in the home using a tent/drobe you can use the room they are in as a lung room, if this is how yours is setup then knowing the size of that room will help pick the right one, if it's a very small bedroom you can get away with lower powered ones around the 650w area.

• Like 3

The smart home grower gives indoor growing a miss from June-Sept. Time to clean/upgrade tinker with the groom or just switch it all off. Use the summer to chuck some autos or early photo period plants outdoors somewhere. 

It's not just the heatwaves, it's drying and control. If you're drying in these temps, you could quickly ruin all that electric and watering time and turn your expensive seeds into hay smelling boof. Control, because it's cheaper to heat a room than to cool it. You could look at the new AC Infinity Terraform 7, but you'll balk at the price. Drying in the cooler months is also an advantage. 

Best option now is to have the lights on during the evenings, lights off during the day, assuming you have no light leaks. Keep the circulation fans running high, plenty of water and turn the extraction up a notch. 

Good luck. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nate420MP said:

struggling with heat

How hot is it getting? Sometimes it's not really worth worrying about IME. Other than late flower I never worry about temps or humidity being high. You might get a better yield by running an AC and keeping things optimal, but you'll also spend a lot more money which could well cancel out the extra gains. For reference today my tent was 34C, plants are looking absolutely fine, my humidity is about 70-75% which is where I usually keep it until mid late flower where I try and keep it below 65% if possible, but I find with enough air exchange and circulation fans that even slightly above that rot isn't an issue. As MG said big swings in temperature/humidity at lights on/off are a bigger problem....

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Military Grade said:

It’s in my airing cupboard, second floor dead centre in my home. So I know it’s in a closed environment and not of fresh air can be included I have to ducting running in and out one connected to a vent in my attic bring fresh air in and the other extracting to the carbon filter. My lights are on during the night due to hot weather in the day. I’m currently working running a viparspectra xs1500 only a 150 watt 

• Like 1

My plants are looking great tbh I think I’m just over thinking it. But I know that’s healthy environment is quality for healthy roots better fruits. I’m just not getting the dense said of the bud it’s having issues with fox tailing due to the high heat and humidity when the lights are off. I will definitely look into going forward using autos in the summer and just trying to avoid anything from may/sep give or take 

Thank you all that have taken the time to reply I have taken all your feedback onboard, I would love to upload photos of my current stage but the website will not allow to upload. I am trying to build a 2x2 grow chat for people who are just starting off or for general enquiry’s. I’m currently in the last week of flower with one tropical punch and one OG kush 

Do you have your lights on schedule in the day time or night time?

24 minutes ago, Nate420MP said:

12 on 12 off I’m running fem plants not autos 

No i'm asking do you have the grow light on in the day or at nights?

You can lower the lights on temperatures if you have your grow light on hours at night when it's cooler and cheaper to run 👍

Edited by Military Grade

Yes sorry I run them at night due to the warm weather in the day time, I have dropped my lights down to 60% I wouldn’t really want to lower them anymore than that in the last week of Flowers

• Like 1

A lot of use lower our lights and temps towards the end to simulate autumn and speed up the finish a little, if you keep them in prime summer environment some strains will just keep on going pushing out new white pistols making you wait longer for it to visibly finish and this can lead to bud rot.

I dropped my XS 1500 Pro to 50% towards the end of my last grow, this was due to heat and having to hang my light higher than recommended causing a hot spot of PPFD in the middle due to how the lenses work. 

Don't be scared to turn the light down if needed i know it goes against every fiber in your body when you're new to growing, but you can do more to hinder your yields with too much light and poor environments than having less light 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nate420MP said:

It’s in my airing cupboard, second floor dead centre in my home. So I know it’s in a closed environment and not of fresh air can be included I have to ducting running in and out one connected to a vent in my attic bring fresh air in and the other extracting to the carbon filter. My lights are on during the night due to hot weather in the day. I’m currently working running a viparspectra xs1500 only a 150 watt 

Can you setup fan and ducting to refresh the air of the airing cupboard it's self or is that already what you're doing, the lofts get hot in the summer so pulling air for them might be working agaist you and be better to do it in reverse and blowing the air out of the tent into the attic.

Do you not have the CF inside the tent?

Running a AC unit would be a bit of a faff from the sounds of it, but not impossible maybe a mini split AC setup if you feel comfortable installing it, If it only has to cool an airing cupboard it would cost much as apposed to a whole bedroom, but that would be a lot of dicking about only you could decide if it was worth it and viable.

Then theres the issue of having the other end on the mini split that goes outside, you can get mini splits that come with more than one of the blower things that goes inside so if a neighbour came round you could use the one in the living room for example as the decoy but them not knowing there's another connected to it and it's in your airing cupboard lol

Edited by Military Grade