Dwc help

Matthew420

Hi all,

trying out dwc got the 9 pot oxypot using 5 plants. I am using the sensi ph perfect nutes mix up the first batch of nutes and went in a couple of day later and there was brown coating on the roots and some stuff floating about the res. Have taken system apart and cleaned with h202 and then with 99% alcohol. Flushed the chiller through with h202 water mix. 

any ideas what the brown stuff would have been? And can i use h202 with sensi ph perfect nutes? 
thanks in advance

• Like 1

meant to also say, the brown coating may have been off the nutes themselves.

Stu the old goat uses sensi nutes, he would probably know

calling @stu914, any idea on the brown staining to the roots mate, i know you use sensi ph perfect?

• Like 1

Will also add the brown residue on the roots came of when wiped with fingers or kitchen towel

• Like 1

Can you post a pic of the roots ?

Do you have a chiller because if its not staining from the nutes it could be the start of root rot 

What are your water temps

My chiller is working overtime at the moment and I'm in Scotland 

Hi mate yes got a chiller hailea 300a set to 19 tenps go as high as 20 . Sorry bo pics i have cleaned the roots in h202 so looks fairly white it was like a spotty coating on them. That easily wiped off. No smell. The res had almost dandruff sized flakes of brown stuff in it . 

• Like 1

@Matthew420

That's just residue off the nutes, horrible shitty brown stuff but wipes off easily.

Make sure you change your pump filters regularly.

H2O2 is just water with extra oxygen molecules (as I understand it) and disperses very quickly in the res,

perfectly safe to use with any nutes.

Some people use it as a preventative but I've only very occasionally needed it for root rot.

Providing the plants look ok then carry on as you are...:yep:

@stu914hi mate just wasnt sure as the sensi nutes had organic wetting agents listed on the website. Would the h202 not kill the organic element off? Whats your opinion on adding bennies like hydrogaurd ? Thanks nate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

adding bennies like hydrogaurd ?

I never add anything apart from the sensi nutes but my system keeps

roots out of the water, this cuts the risk of rot so no need for a chiller,

H2O2 or any other agents.

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

I never add anything apart from the sensi nutes but my system keeps

roots out of the water, this cuts the risk of rot so no need for a chiller,

H2O2 or any other agents.

Ok mate no probs. I ordered some up so il see how it goes . 

• Like 1

Make sure you've covered up the clay balls so no light can get through to the roots 

The peroxide will kill off beneficial bacteria too so zyme and mycorrhizae will be killed off too, if you're using or planning to use them.

• Like 2

I have a very simmilar system...oxypot 4 with a helia h100a chiller set to 18c.

I run sterile with shogun nutes and siver bullet (h2o2). Ive found preventative doses of silver bullet helps a lot, about every week or so.

I put a sponge over the chiller pump

Also have a suplimentary filter

Seems to keep everything nice and clean.

wwT8r3sZ_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 13:39, Hippie on hill said:

Make sure you've covered up the clay balls so no light can get through to the roots 

The peroxide will kill off beneficial bacteria too so zyme and mycorrhizae will be killed off too, if you're using or planning to use them.

Yeah you can't run 'sterile' with peroxide if you are going to add organisms to maintain the rez... the peroxide won't harm the plant, but it will kill evererything else, funghi, bad bacteria and also beneficial bacteria, so it's one method or the other really.

Also with this type of DWC...light is your enemy... the only time the resevoir should ever see light is for maintenence tasks, that means covering up the tops of your pots so light can't get past the clay balls (I just use some tin foil cut into squares), no clear hoses, only black or light-proof hoses etc.

Other wise youll end up with a rank brown water, 'the dreaded brown slime', as I call it.

7BKMS7Tw_o.jpg