microwave purged qwiso

highgrower

I have various glass bits i use iso to clean and usually evaporate it off slowly in a glass tray and then scrape it up which can be a bit of a pain.

I started off doing that this time but before it got too sticky i decided to pour it off into a small jar and let it just sit for a few days to purge - its became quite thick and wasnt really purging well so popped it into the microwave for 20 secs - you could smell the iso coming off it when you popped your nose in the jar - so left it to cool and repeated the process a few times - no smell at all now coming off it and on the initial few vape tests i cant taste any iso either.

A lot easier than scraping away - i realise you need to be careful with alcohol in a microwave but with small amounts like that i think pretty safe (safer than bho making).

large.reclaim2.jpg.7b337944c82008feb73a3f66a1ac4d82.jpglarge.reclaim1.jpg.67c7979d46b4bfbc46fb20fe210572e3.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty sure my internal H&S would not allow me to do this for so many reasons lol. Whatever happened to a rice cooker out in the open air or at least a very well ventilated area lol . My fears would be explosions and or impurities in the final product...But er yeah well done lol 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Its a tiny jar like 50ml and had reduced it so that it was more like a tar - just needed a bit of help to purge the last little bit so h&s risk was minimal

Not sure what impurities heating in a microwave adds?

As for rice cooker etc - we are talking about a gram or so and most would just get left in the pot - i wouldnt do this for large quantity

Edited by highgrower

A bain Marie using a bowl of boiling water OR a coffee cup warmer are safer options.

I don't know what the ratio of iso vapor and oxygen are required for an explosion but introducing an enclosed space with potentially explosive vapours and a ready source of ignition all in a metal box seems like a potential recipe for disaster.

• Like 4

I'm with @highgrower on this, I feel like once you get past a certain point you'll be pretty safe to wang small amounts in the microwave for short bursts. 

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

The lower explosive limit for Isopropyl alcohol is only 2%, so purging in a microwave is a gamble.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, highgrower said:

Not sure what impurities heating in a microwave adds?

I was more thinking of the microwave not doing the purge as well as normal heat. I don't know for sure so take it with a pinch of salt.

I picked up a cheap USB cup warmer, a little AC Infinity USB fan with a speed controller, and a couple of silicone cake things, for this 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

USB cup warmer

Never through about one of those - gave me an idea an had a look at a small 12v PTC heating element the ones inside a aluminium shell hooked up to a pid would give a perfect little hot plate for purging small amounts. 

• Like 1

IRC iso fills the atmosphere and ignites as a slower explosion. Butane sinks but is a faster explosion . 

• Like 2

Sounds like a recipe for making a fragmentation bomb! 

Slow but safe is better, IMHO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just put on your safety squints and keep a hand over your genitals in case of explosion.

It won't be too bad from a ml of iso but will be scary and there might be shrapnel!

eta:

I have heated up alcohol in the microwave to warm it up to clean vape gear.

I think that I put a lid on to stop vapours though, and did not heat any where near boiling point.

I was very concerned about the amount of vapour released into the kitchen when I opened it indoors!

Edited by smokinggolden

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2024 at 18:57, Hippie on hill said:

a couple of silicone cake things, for this 

Now this is a great idea, don't know why I've never thought of it!

Because isopropyl alcohol reacts with silicone, not a good idea.