New Grow Space

NormanNugget

1 hour ago, NormanNugget said:

@Flamedodger I got myself an 8” trowel and started to investigate the joys of spreading muck…

Looking good mucker 😉 Ref light proofing, I noticed your door linings have no stops, so over size your replacements and use draught proofing strips. Google fire door stop they do them in a nice redwood to match your frames. They’re cheap as too 👍🏼

Edited by Flamedodger
Speling
  • Thanks 1

Well caulking and painting didn’t end up happening today…

However I tried in the CarboAir 60 6” filter and it’s huge. If I can return it I will, and will just us the AC Infinity filter I already have. 

Off of the back of these investigations I bored the hole through into the loft.

@Military Grade I see your 80mm drill and raise you 72mm

large.IMG_8649.jpeg.1743b9275bd19767b162387f0477dbea.jpeg

And the result..

large.IMG_8650.jpeg.86bb1b4ee8c84525ad1613f0bad77518.jpeg

Happy days. Things seem to be coming together. Seeds are in the post so hopefully the next grow is now imminent!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

@Military Grade I see your 80mm drill and raise you 72mm

I've only got 100mm, I will have to fold out of this one lol

@NormanNugget  Your drill looks a million times better than mine, it would have took about 4 charges to cut all that lot lol

• Haha 1

Tikkurila Anti Reflex paint I believe is 97/98% reflective. I sprayed a ceiling in a dark bedroom with it last year. I remember thinking then how good it would be in a grow room 👍🏼

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Your drill looks a million times better than mine

Hah yeah she’s a beast. It was a bit tasty getting through the 25mm ply, but took it in her stride.

4 minutes ago, Flamedodger said:

Tikkurila Anti Reflex paint

I’ll take a look. I was thinking to just use ‘Contract Matt’, I think I have about 10l in the shed!

• Like 1

I’ve got some stainless steel screw on staples and hooks on order.

The filter I’ll mount to the staples with straps. Fan I’ll probably screw directly to the ceiling, but with rubber feet between.

For the lights I’ve got some Yoyo Easy Hangers on order. It looks like you can adjust the tension so you can just lift the lights up and down and they’ll stay where you put them. 

• Like 3

Gonna be under the door. I’m thinking I’ll make some kind of raised floor and have a vent behind the door, hopefully passive will do.

The existing door is original Victorian I think, so have about 25mm gap at the bottom and is gappy all around. 

• Like 1

Progress is slow… but getting there now.

So far this week I’ve got all of the corners and edges caulked, and got the first coat of paint on. I used Zinsser Perma White which is apparently dead matt, good for bathrooms and scrubbable. 

large.IMG_8658.jpeg.af0180e4d06458aca8bfb0fa139443ce.jpeg

Coverage isn’t all that, but pretty good for a first coat. I reckon 3 will be required.

Lights arriving today. So just need to make the bits for the door and figure out the raised floor / intake.

• Like 5

There’s also an update which might be of more interest.

large.IMG_8656.jpeg.2502c4ed4a0a32098a0dcaaf82e6a570.jpeg

Beans arrived yesterday. Came with some random freebies, but also a bonus 2 Eleven Roses seeds - score!

They’ll go in to soak tonight I reckon.

I’m wondering whether to go for 4 plants in 6-7L pots, or really push my luck and try 8 in 2-3L pots. I’m inclined towards 8 smaller plants all of different varieties.

@yan I know you have similar plans, whatcha reckon?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

whatcha reckon?

You already did four last time around so I reckon it’s double or quits now? 
I’m not sure how many I’ll be doing yet but I did soak 13 regs and a few fems last night…. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having a gappy door will be a disaster, that fucker has to be light proof. The 25mm at the bottom might be doable, you could possibly put some kind of skirt on. Light proofing I guarantee will give you headaches, I know it did on mine. I ended up sticking a curtain track up and putting blackout curtains across the door just to be on the safe side. I’d strongly advise not to rely on seeing light coming from your space, but get in it and see if any light comes in.
Good shout with the Perma White, I sprayed my kitchen with it. It’s mould resistant and wipes down really well 👍🏼

• Like 2

Yeah for the door I plan to put a skirt across the bottom with a vent in it - backed with carbon filter material. This will draw air into a space with two heat tubes and insulation around/below. I’ll potentially just put the tray on top or make a floor above with a gap for airflow. This will all be behind the main door. 

Above the skirt I’ll fit a piece of door stop in line with the jamb and head stops. I’ll then fit this with ‘batwing’ light and acoustic seals. Then I’ll make a 25mm ply door that fits tight into the seals. Finally I’ll fix that from inside to the main door.

I’ll fit two rack bolt type locks to the main door to hold it closed. These has a tiny round hole for the ‘key’

If all goes to plan I’ll have the original door intact unaltered from the outside, but with a fully light and air sealed inner door.

• Like 3