New Grow Space

NormanNugget

I tend to agree hence I just rammed my ducting through. Could work well if you were running soft ducting below, should you need to have your filter movable, but wanted solid ducting running up through the attic. I believe hard duct pipe is generally quieter as it’s smoother internally so worth considering 

eta: thinking about it I guess the point of the flange is that it’s going to be really difficult to cut a hole the right size to seal with your ducting and still be able to fit the ducting through, especially with hard ducting. Sealing with a liquid sealant will often not be a ideal solution as removal may be required, in this instance a wall flange makes a lot of sense. 

Edited by CuriousOrange
Flanges
  • Like 1

Hopefully I’ll get my roof vents in soon and I can figure out the ducting configuration.

Rigid ducting would be nice, and I guess it’s somewhat easier to fix securely to avoid any vibration. More expensive and complicated… so probably the option I’ll choose 😅

• Haha 2

@NormanNugget for what it's worth I think my solid ducting is much softer than the acoustic ducting I was using previously. I haven't used the phonic ducting though so can't compare them.

I love the ease of set-up with the solid ducting and the various fixtures available make it a dream on longer runs. I have 4, 90 degree bends in my run and it feels like there is very little loss of air pressure over the whole run.

The cost wasn't too bad, I think I spent around 40 quid for all of the tubing, vents and 90-degree turns.

Overall I am really happy with the changes and think it was worthwhile.

• Like 3

Guys I am having a bit of a mare deciding what to do at this stage. Could I get some input and advice?

I’m in two minds whether to:

Put a tent in the cupboard (either 90x60x180 or 60x60x180)

Line the walls and go for the cupboard grow (100x60x2500)

For both I will cut a hole through the ceiling into the loft.

My main considerations are:

• I may need to convert this back to a normal cupboard

• It needs to be super quiet and also zero smell (we are probably going to have in-laws visiting fairly regularly)

Tent Negatives

• Smaller space 

• Less headroom so no chance of a separate veg space

• Access more awkward for both maintenance and to get to power if needed

Tent Positives

• Easy to break down at short notice

• Potential to be quieter if I have the tent inside a insulated room

Wardrobe Negatives

• More work to get back to a normal cupboard

• More construction (although I enjoy this)

• Relying more on me to make it smell proof

Wardrobe Positives

• Larger space

• More headroom will mean I can probably fit my small veg tent in too

• Easier access for maintenance and power

For reference we own the house so no landlord etc. to contend with. Also my main reason for growing is the enjoyment rather than the yield.

Input greatly appreciated, apologies for randomly tagging loads of you..

@CuriousOrange @yan @Military Grade @DeltaMelter @Shumroom @Flamedodger @Calypsos @green_machine @inceywinceyspider @BilgePump

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How much weed do you consume in a grow/dry/cure cycle?

• Like 3

I guess all I can do is say what I would do which is to stick a tent in there and see if the negatives are enough to make me want to convert it. 

Do you have a gut feeling that your brain is trying to over rule? 

• Like 5

Same situation as at my buds place, we put the intake and extraction fans kn the roof wrapped in bubble wrap hung off bunjees from the rafters then ran the ducts through the ceiling, I tapped in a fused spur and ran that through the ceiling to a double socket. 

He painted it white inside with vinyl silk, we tanked the bottom with a bit of celotex and a pond liner and sealed the door with draught excluder. You could hear the argos oscillating fan he used for circulation but not the duct fans.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

How much weed do you consume in a grow/dry/cure cycle?

Probably an ounce. It’s more about  wanting to grow a variety of plants and have fun. I’d happily grow 8 plants a cycle and crop 2oz.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, yan said:

stick a tent in there and see if the negatives

The problem is I’m already a bit miffed that I bought everything for a 90x90 grow and now can’t use half of it. So i don’t really want to go 60x60 and then end up forking out for another light.

I guess the wardrobe feels so much more permanent. I really love the hobby and want to continue, but circumstances may not allow me to carry on in the nearish future. 

• Like 2

I'd convert the space unless you think there's a chance you'll need to sanitise it so to speak within the next year or two, in which case I'd go for the tent as it's so much less work if you have to quickly hide all evidence.

• Like 3

I would plasterboard it out and paint it brilliant white, easy to transform back into a cupboard in the future. Plasterboard is cheapest covering for area, unless you use decibel check. You don’t have to plaster it, just tape and fill joints, a la dry lining. Maximise the space, loads of space would be wasted sticking a tent in there imo. Also I would put in a ceiling hatch and keep my fan above it.
For stealth, I’d put sound proof wooden slatted panels over the front, keeps the noise down looks stylish and with some mastery chippy work, you could make the door invisible. They’re not cheap mind. 
You may only need to do 1 or 2 grows a year depending on your consumption and it can easily transform back into a boring cupboard 😉

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

I’d happily grow 8 plants a cycle and crop 2oz.

This may lean more towards converting the space yourself to allow you to design it with this in mind. You might want quite a big veg area for germinating, taking cuttings, keeping potential mother plants. Then flowering SOG style from cuttings in a fairly small flowering area.

This is my vague plan for the future to get through all the seeds I’ve bought this year. This will hopefully allow me to continue enjoying the growing without having too much end product to get through. 

• Like 4

@Flamedodger thanks man. I don’t think I’ll go down the root of trying to hide the door. 

I didn’t think plasterboard would be much good with all the moisture. Certainly an attractive option as it’s so easy to put back to a normal room.

• Like 1

@Flamedodger idea is a good one for for converting back.

If not I'm with @yan go with a tent and see how you get on with that first before doing anything more drastic build wise.

Drastic is not the right word but I couldn't think of an alternative, that Cheddar #1 is quite day dreamy lol

• Like 2

Just now, Military Grade said:

If not I'm with @yan go with a tent

I changed my answer already lol 

• Haha 2