New Grow Space

NormanNugget

Yesterday was a productive (destructive) day. Ripped off one side of the lath and plaster and removed all of the render in there back to brick.

large.IMG_8539.jpeg.32bc2bc987cf19a666afa7214439259b.jpeg

large.IMG_8540.jpeg.04e3cbe3a58aff9f8e5ca0f039583c10.jpeg

large.IMG_8542.jpeg.dfe418ca825d20c8a518b8ac6f7559ac.jpeg

large.IMG_8541.jpeg.4a9fe41916cebe135571fbf8e79357ef.jpeg

Since I’m following in @CuriousOrange’s footsteps I thought I’d best get my hydrations right.

large.IMG_8522.jpeg.c39ec8ce8bd771556ef2854a1a486aed.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So many flavours now! You do need the right hydration bottle though so you done good.

That space is ace mate, is that the wooden hatch up to the attic we see?

• Like 2

That’s the old loft access. It’s now boarded over above. There’s a new hatch in the hallway outside with a proper ladder etc.

This should make it easy to duct up into the loft space. Where I’ve taken the lath off I can see the underside of the loft boarding.

I think I’m just gonna stick PIR insulation between the timber studs. Then line all the walls with acoustic underlay and bubble wrap insulation. I’ve looked at the matting people use for insulating vans which is acoustic and thermal, self adhesive too. But it’ll run into a few hundred quid.

Any other suggestions for lining the walls?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

This should make it easy to duct up into the loft space.

Exactly this, it’s a special dream I have to be able to do that. Live my dream man!

eta: your wall solution sounds good and exactly what I would have done too 

Edited by CuriousOrange
Walls. Second edit : cavity to exactly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NormanNugget said:

Any other suggestions for lining the walls?

Depends what you want to achieve, you have plenty of plasterboard options with silver backing for damp and pir for insulation, even for sound insulation. If you just want to make it a a bit warmer, then line it with 25mm pir. Put some batten around for carcass at heights where you think stuff will be attached, scrog net, circulation fans etc (for ease of attachment). Then attach silver bubble wrap over the top. 
It looks like a nice dry space, what do temps get like throughout the year? If it’s warm in there, maybe just bubble wrap with carcass over the top. 

• Like 2

I guess it’s relatively warm all year. In winter we don’t heat upstairs so might be a bit chilly. Ideally I want to make its thermally insulated, but biggest concern is noise. 

I’ll measure up today as I want to fit a Migro Array 4 and a 100x55cm tray at the bottom. I’ll see how much space I have left after that for linings. I can fix into the two brick walls easily, so will probably just put a load of noggins in the stud walls. I can add extra battens etc. later on top of the linings for fixings fans etc.

• Like 1

I have made shorter linking brackets out of crappy triple ply sheet for my Migro Aray 4 as my cupboard is actually 3cm (iirc) shorter than the Aray but about 4cm wider. You should be fine fitting it in yours mod free to achieve full over kill mode but with really evenly lit middle and corners in a slightly difficult shaped space. 

• Like 2

@CuriousOrange I did wonder whether you could adjust the width. Sounds good!

How do you have circulation fans set up? I was thinking maybe just some USBs at pot level and then one or two cloud rays above the light blowing down.

• Like 2

The back is a party wall, the right is to my bedroom. I think 25mm PIR, 6mm acoustic underlay then foil on those walls.

The other walls can get 50mm PIR in the 75mm stud, then the same underlay and foil.

• Like 1

Sounds alike a plan 👍🏼 I’m not sure you will get an Array 4 in there, even with a bit of jiggery pokery, at least without dismantling them 😒 An array 3 will fit as is and is same output 👍🏼

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

How do you have circulation fans set up?

I have one ac infinity oscillating number above my lights , it’s oscillation range is perfect for the breadth of my cupboard, it’s only on the really hot steamy days like last week where I consider a second fan useful, but I do plan on buying a second ac inf. one at some point for permanent setup so. Below the skirt I do have a twin fan pc usb thing pushing the air about a bit, does the job fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@NormanNugget don't just vent into the loft, try and go up and out an eave or something. you'll be pumping a lot of humidity into your loft and issues with damp can start to appear.

• Like 1

Remembered to grab a full pic before lights out today. I probably should say excuse the mess but I wouldn’t mean it. Do however excuse the fucky bracket on my Migro that doesn’t hold that bar properly level, these were tester brackets I made for sizing and I sort of forgot to make the better metal ones in time before  started 12/12 off and I am not touching that shit now in mid flower.

At the bottom, I have a sheet of wood raised up on bricks as the base, allows better airflow and exchange through the floorboards as I have the breather bricks right at the back below the floor giving a direct fresh air injection which has its blessings and curses. I won’t bore you with the odd things I try in order to stabilise that and be able to pre heat the fresh air in the winter.

Up top in the cupboard space is my modified Aray 4 hanging from the inbuilt hanger bar. At the back left is my filter, bigger than I expected and too big to fit outside the cupboard so it hogs the top section somewhat. Ducting runs from it up through a 105mm hole in the shelf to the fan which is behind the bits of memory foam and then out of the top of the cupboard to some oversize rectangular plastic ducting (with crap piled on top to hide it) behind the tv and aimed towards an always open window. Haven’t managed to find a way to expel outside yet without it being obvious so I deeply covet thy wooden hatch.

Oscillating fan pretty obvious, uv light above that.
my power points are down at floor level behind the door so my extensions run up the wall and run in through the hole the ducting comes out of and sit on the shelf in the dark at the back left behind my spare fan and currently in storage tube heater, there is a classic nightmare electrical spiders web back there.large.655C504B-C4AE-44B7-99CA-906932833332.jpeg.4a929cf74dcfabcee3c25205d65dd0e8.jpeg

large.872F987E-CE87-48BC-BF45-9C80153B79D3.jpeg.7f1d1e83ea284098380657b668a53bef.jpeg

Edited by CuriousOrange
Spelling
  • Like 5