New Grow Space

NormanNugget

5 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Would you have the veg space below, then intake air into the veg box, through the veg box into the flower box

This was my first thought and probably the easiest to implement. I would imagine it depends on things like how many plants you plan on keeping around as mums to how humid the veg space could get, if it’s likely to get quite humid in there then seperate intakes for veg and flower would probably be better if you can do so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

I was thinking to batten it out inside and use 25mm Celotex, then 12mm MR MDF over and paint it white, do you think that’s just overkill? I figured having solid sides would be handy for mounting lights etc.

If you’re indoors, I wouldn’t bother. The u factor or whatever they call it of the bubble wrap is probably about the same as 25mm kingspan. If you have a concrete floor, maybe pop a bit down to insulate that 👍🏼 You will love the headroom 😉

It looks great when it’s up;

large.76058B09-5A5E-4EF6-AD5C-84D455D5D944.jpeg.925b36b2fbdba0db3791b2361b4f8dad.jpeg

• Like 2

After much investigating and messing around, I think the loft will be a better option.

Tried putting my 3x3 tent frame up there and it’s about 20mm too tall. I figured I’d want to insulate it too, so that’s out.

I’ve think I can make two spaces. Flower room 1200w x 600d x 1550h. Veg room 600w x 600d x 1200h. I’ve got to get an electrician in and some roofing bits done before I can start building.

I’ll hopefully create an active intake from the cupboard below, through the veg room to the flower room, then exhaust through a roof vent. If all goes to plan I can fit a 6” Carboair 60. The fallback will be an inline Carboair, does anyone have experience with an inline filter?

I’m also considering using danish trays so I can easily drain. For now just with a tap and a tube into a bucket. Does anyone else use these? Any advice on set up?

Maybe in the future I’ll add a bilge pump with a float valve to auto empty a bucket and route that into the guttering.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another swerveball. I’m now team cupboard. I moved all our crap back into the newly boarded loft this week and almost died of heat stroke. No thanks!

I’m gonna keep it simple and just make one grow space. I reckon I can chuck the DP60 in there and make a stand for the flowering plants if needs be. No exact plan how I’ll build it. 

I have an electrician coming Monday to hook up some power and install 6 double sockets with USB so will have loads of power options.

This is what we’re starting with.

large.IMG_8524.jpeg.fd4b9e4858b83b3bb037b69a120a6761.jpeg

large.IMG_8525.jpeg.3f1824d3b1afd8ba18b4b7ccf037e524.jpeg

large.IMG_8523.jpeg.9f317e66c552c0210f846ef5bff9f5f7.jpeg

Two walls are lath and plaster, two are plaster on brick. I’m hoping to end up with a space 100x60cm. Height is crazy so will just keep it tall and see how it plays. A nice option to raise the plants up for easy maintenance if I keep them fairly short.

Edited by NormanNugget
  • Like 4

Yeah loft growers don’t get the recognition they deserve! I’ve been using mine for the past couple of days. Hot hot hot! Hopefully the tropical fruit I have up there can handle it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cupboard growers unite ✊ 

Looks like a splendid starting point to me, I’m very green eyed at your head height there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@CuriousOrange how is your power arranged? I’m thinking I’ll have to have the sockets in the actual grow space. Not sure is that’s kosher or not..

• Like 2

I have a power point just outside and run an extension cable in from above as I have a shelf area just above the grow space which I have my fan and electrical mess safely tucked away in

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

@CuriousOrange how is your power arranged? I’m thinking I’ll have to have the sockets in the actual grow space. Not sure is that’s kosher or not..

Yea it’s ok, I put all my sockets at the top of the cupboard. Standard height for sockets is 450mm iirc, so let you sparky know where and how high you want them 👍🏼

Edited by Flamedodger
  • Like 2

I was thinking to have some lowish down for heat mat, circ. fan, heat tubes. These are the ones I’m worried about as they might get splashed when watering. Also the plants are likely to brush up against them. 

@Flamedodger do you just plug everything in at the top? I guess I can extend the power cables if needed.

@CuriousOrange I’ll have a looksee with the height, I reckon I could have sockets up high with a shelf below to hang the light, filter and fan from. 

If in venting into the loft directly above should I mount the fan up there or in the grow space?

40 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

@Flamedodger do you just plug everything in at the top? I guess I can extend the power cables if needed.

Yes, it keeps everything away from water, but a bit of a pain as some of my kit leads won’t reach. I have a couple of 1.5m single socket extension cables for that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

If in venting into the loft directly above should I mount the fan up there or in the grow space?

I would fix it to the brick wall, use foam packers, it’ll stay nice and quiet. If you fix to rafters or joists it’ll amplify vibration. I’d fix it vertically, you could even have your filter on the deck or attached to the brick wall and have no bends in it.

Cut some over-sized door stops for the door for light prevention so you can put draught strips on them. If you have a bit of space above the door, i would hide all my kit in there. It’s a cracking space mate, I could get quite creative in there 😉

I thought I might use some foil insulation roll and make a cover for the lower sockets that just drapes over. 

1 hour ago, NormanNugget said:

The main concerns are noise, space and access to power. If you have room and power in the attic then there’s no reason not to put it up there. Once set up you shouldnt need to be fiddling with it all the time so it being in the roof should not be a stress. But you have loads of headroom so you could have it in its own little cubby or shelf or whatever it may be in the grow cupboard, you might not want all that headroom open as then you have to heat it in the winter so a shelf or barrier to hold heat down may prove frugal. I have used some foam from a memory mattress to make a sort of box around my fan to keep sound in a little more though it’s barely necessary but that lining probably helps heat retention somewhat. 

Edited by CuriousOrange
Should not
  • Like 1