What mix?!

CBDbudd

6 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

The thing with chucking amendments in coco is that it's got to 'cook' first.

By cook you mean rot which introduces all sorts of pathogens into the medium which in turn will cause infection. As I've stated already in this thread, coco is an inert medium so has no micro herd to break down organic matter into molecules the plants can use. This is why we use salt based nutrients in coco because they're immediately available to the plant.

If you don't understand the processes involved then you shouldn't be spreading this misinformation. I'd rather be Victor Meldew than Arthur Mullard.

• Like 1

@catweazle1 You only have to "cook" soil mixes if you go really hard on the ferts in the first place, otherwise you can just mix and plant, stuff like WCs for instance is quite mild. I wouldn't say that dry ferts in coco is any better or worse than anything else, but it certainly works quite well, that cannuck geezer isn't the only one doing it and getting good results. It's definitely more soil than hydro once you've added the worm casts which will  be teaming with microbes etc., more like "soil" but with coco instead of peat really. 

@Saddam FO. I only use ferts, epsom and nitric acid in coco. I wasn't promoting the idea.

Edited by catweazle1

We've all walked up the path of assuming he wants to grow coco and I'm not sure that is the case.. 

May I suggest we go back to the beginning.

OP What method of growing are you trying to achieve, coco, soil or living soil? Or do you not have a preference and would like our opinions? 

The funniest excuse I've ever heard for not using coco was.. 

I can't use coco because we have dogs 

I said wtf do you mean? 

It is chocolate and it could poison our dogs.

lol     

Edited by Saddam
Syntax
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

coco is an inert medium

Bang on, I've always regarded it as purely a plant support which holds moisture...I'll stick to pebbles, far less messy...:yep:

• Like 3

There’s some really lovely vibes up in here, who doesn’t love a good vibes chat?! 

makes me glad to be alive. 🥰🥰

• Haha 1