18 beautiful years growing with Uk420. Finally had a visit from the spider mites 😭

bigbudburge

I’m at my wits end with these fuckers . Veg Tent with 6 mums, 2 have got to have been with me 15 plus years and I’m being savaged by spider mites.  This is more of a diary on how I completely got rid of an infestation of the Borg because killing heirloom strains is not a option.,What didn’t work and what did. 
what I’ve tried so far. 
Hacked all mums back to bare bones and sprayed with 5ml/l harkers . 2 weeks , spraying every 3 days and the mites think they are playing in a water park. 
next up was Plant vitality Killer Mite which is pricey at £60 a bottle. I reckon this is just abermectin like in harkers as it did bugger all .

Yesterday i turned off all electric to the grow room and let off 3 Permethrin bug bombs and let the smoke sit for 4 hours before turning on all the ventilation. 24hours later and not even one single dead Spider mite. 
A few days ago I ordered Mitecide 240 sc. This is meant to kill all mites and eggs within 4 days . We Shall see 🙈 failing that I’ll try the Dettol method @20ml/l . I plan to make up 100l in a my dog bath to dunk each plant in to get full coverage.  

• Like 2

Ooof sair yin

I seem to remember Vincenoir dunking whole plants to try get rid ay thrips not sure what he dunked em in tho lol

• Like 1

Bonide is meant to work, I'd start there myself.

"Organic" too 🤣 Fucking ruthless on thrips 😅

Best of luck getting rid of the buggers mate

• Like 2

From my experience, putting cuttings in the humidity dome kills the mites as they hate humidity, they can’t move much and stop eating. Once the cuts are rooted, no more mites. Failing that, horticultural soap and neem for established mums, then hit them again in 3/4 days to kill the hatchlings. 

coco coir also helps but don’t know if that’s the coir or just luck, but I reckon compost might occasionally have mite eggs in it., 😇

• Thanks 1

I have just had an extremely bad outbreak of spider mite, get yourself a brush attachment for your hoover, hoover the girls off, give them a good mistingbwith the hose or spray bottle until they look a little sad (well drenched) repeat for 3 days consecutively then introduce some predatory mites. My room is now completely clear of the little fuckers. I swear this has worked for me and I had clumps of them on top of my plants

abermectin aka killermite

that'll nuke em out the park, fairly safe too, good spray and repeat after 1 week, plants, tent sides, pots, flooring, everything

Dunking is definitely the best way to use mectins.

Recently cleared up a wft infestation with basically one dunk , i dod a second but it wasn't needed

Works better than spraying for mitrs too

:yinyang:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sweettooth said:

abermectin aka killermite

that'll nuke em out the park, fairly safe too, good spray and repeat after 1 week, plants, tent sides, pots, flooring, everything

I’ve used that for the last 2 weeks and I can see them laughing at under the microscope 😂

I feel your pain, I’ve been plagued with them for the last 4 runs. The best for ridding them that I’ve tried, is Phytoseiulus Persimilis, they would work great on your mum’s. Keep the humidity nice and high so they breed. They take a while to get going but once they do, it’s great to watch them hunting mites 😁

Good luck, post back if you have some success 👍🏼

Edited by Flamedodger
  • Like 1

Not had to deal with these fuckers for many years but when I did I used a product called Vertimec. Was sold from under the counter at my local grow shop in little bottles and did the job well.

Good luck

On 16/07/2024 at 13:04, BilgePump said:

Dunking is definitely the best way to use mectins.

think I might make up enough to dunk all my veg plants in an effort to prevent any outbreak, no signs yet but any prevention is better than nought. harder to dunk 12 plants when thier all 3 foot tall lol