Does weed make your hair grow? Here’s what you need to know

Joolz

Many people believe that mixing weed into your hair cream or coconut oil and applying it to the scalp can promote hair growth.

Cannabis Marijuana

However, is there any truth to this notion? Let's delve into the potential effects of weed on hair growth and what the science says.

The cannabis-hair growth connection

Cannabis, commonly known as weed, contains various compounds, the most notable being THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). These compounds have been studied for their numerous health benefits, but their effects on hair growth are not well-documented.

Potential benefits

1. Anti-inflammatory properties: CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory effects, which could help reduce scalp inflammation. A healthy scalp is crucial for hair growth, as inflammation can impede the hair growth cycle.
  2. Stress reduction: Cannabis is often used to alleviate stress and anxiety. Since stress is a known factor in hair loss, reducing stress levels might indirectly support hair growth.
  3. Improved blood circulation: Some believe that the application of cannabis-infused oils may enhance blood circulation to the scalp, potentially promoting hair growth. However, this claim lacks substantial scientific backing.

The myths

1. Direct hair growth stimulation: There is no concrete scientific evidence to suggest that cannabis or its compounds can directly stimulate hair growth. While it may have some benefits for scalp health, it is not a miracle cure for hair loss.
  2. THC absorption: Applying THC-rich products to the scalp is unlikely to result in significant absorption that would affect hair growth. Most of the research on THC pertains to its psychoactive effects when ingested or inhaled.

Considerations

1. Legal status: Cannabis is still illegal or regulated in many countries. Ensure you are aware of the laws in your region before using cannabis-infused products.
  2. Product quality: If you choose to experiment with cannabis-infused hair products, ensure they are from reputable sources. Poor-quality products may contain harmful additives that could damage your hair or scalp.
  3. Allergic reactions: As with any new product, test a small amount on your skin before applying it to your scalp to ensure you do not have an adverse reaction.

While cannabis and its compounds have shown potential in various health areas, the evidence supporting their effectiveness in promoting hair growth is limited and largely anecdotal.

If you are experiencing hair loss, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional to explore proven treatments and underlying causes.

In summary, the notion that weed can make your hair grow remains largely unproven. Focusing on a healthy diet, proper hair care, and stress management are more reliable ways to support hair growth.

https://www.pulse.com.gh/lifestyle/does-weed-cannabis-make-your-hair-grow-heres-what-you-need-to-know/vh25ywk

It did when I had waist length hair back in the 70's:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's what I was thinking, can't be a coincidence, surely?

Or maybe it causes a fear of barbers lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same here I think it must have been them hairloom strains back then

With all these modern hybrids nowadays it seems to make the hair grow quicker out of me nose and ears 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It definitely works and I've been going on about it for a while.

My hair was receding quite rapidly when I first moved to Spain but since I started using capsules my hair has started to re-grow.

So don't bother with rubbing it on your head, just get more into your system, give your endocannabinoid system the energy it needs. 

Was thinking about this yesterday as I seen some women on insta going on about men being sensitive to hair loss. No idea why any man gives a flying fuck! I lost my hair around my mid 20’s. I shaved it all off when I started receding. I didn’t care then and still don’t saves going to the barbers. Every now and again someone will mention it and I get confused as to why they think I care and they get confused by me not caring. I do look after myself too maybe even quite vain. I’ve seen people pay fly to turkey and pay couple grand for a Lego hairline they must be mad. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

Was thinking about this yesterday as I seen some women on insta going on about men being sensitive to hair loss. No idea why any man gives a flying fuck! I lost my hair around my mid 20’s. I shaved it all off when I started receding. I didn’t care then and still don’t saves going to the barbers. Every now and again someone will mention it and I get confused as to why they think I care and they get confused by me not caring. I do look after myself too maybe even quite vain. I’ve seen people pay fly to turkey and pay couple grand for a Lego hairline they must be mad. 

I am exactly the same. Once I started to lose my hair I just decided to shave it off and now never have to spend money at the barbers and so on. It helps that I dont care what others think about my apperance also I guess

I now have a shiny peanut head lol and thats just the way my genes are I guess?

Edited by Goonerjunglist
  • Like 1

My hairline started divorce proceedings with me before I was 20, we never really got on. From old photos looks like it ran massively in the family but actually at nearly 50 I've still got some hair. Not much but I can still look like I've got a covering if it's from a distance and you're not looking down from above. SO maybe the 35 years of cannabis smoking has at least delayed the inevitable ?

• Like 2

I've still got all my hair but I started going grey in my 20s. My view is go bald gracefully, go grey gracefully, get wrinkles gracefully, don't hide the fact that you're getting older, it's just a part of life. don't waste time, money and effort trying to be something you're not :nea: Fuck cosmetics and all that shit, it's just vanity.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Boojum said:

I've still got all my hair but I started going grey in my 20s. My view is go bald gracefully, go grey gracefully, get wrinkles gracefully, don't hide the fact that you're getting older, it's just a part of life. don't waste time, money and effort trying to be something you're not :nea: Fuck cosmetics and all that shit, it's just vanity.

100% agree with you sir

Ps good luck to your team and new manager next season

I will be at the emirates to see my boys as always but personally I am not a fan of Mikel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boojum said:

Innit.

Funny how out of my oldest circle of friends the 'pretty boys' , of which I was never one , have almost all aged worse than the rest of us, and have definitely hit mid life crisis levels that the rest of us never got near. Again must be the vanity thing, one of them drunkenly lamented the fact that no one looks at him when he walks into a pub now, he's fucking 52 :fish:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, withnail said:

Innit.

Funny how out of my oldest circle of friends the 'pretty boys' , of which I was never one , have almost all aged worse than the rest of us, and have definitely hit mid life crisis levels that the rest of us never got near.

Same here, I look by far the youngest and least ravaged of everyone I know from when I was a teenager, which is ironic given that I was an alcoholic for over 30 years, banged more drugs than all of them put together and have had periods of homelessness lol I must have a portrait in an attic somewhere lol I also avoided the mid-life crisis by getting it out of the way in my teens and 20s  lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Boojum said:

Same here, I look by far the youngest and least ravaged of everyone I know from when I was a teenager, which is ironic given that I was an alcoholic for over 30 years, banged more drugs than all of them put together and have had periods of homelessness lol I must have a portrait in an attic somewhere lol I also got my crisis out of the way in my teens and 20s  lol

Yep considering all the stupid shit I did I look ok on it !

My 2 boys are teenagers now and beginning to be aware of how they look.  They both know 1 of the people I'm talking about and can't believe he was ever the 'good looking' one. I'm hoping there's a lesson in there for them somewhere, I really try to cultivate a positive body image with them but they'll always compare themselves to someone 'better looking'.Hopefully they'll realise it's all fucking temporary, and the further you fall from prettiness the harder it hurts :kwasny:

• Like 4

I gave up the fight with my hair years ago. Being short I couldn't even hide my bald patch and comb overs are no longer in fashion lol. It's also a lot cheaper to shave it at home, even cannabis couldn't save me but what is the bloody point of ear hairs? and why do they grow so irritatingly long? 🤔

• Haha 1