Generator?

Chal

Ran a search. Came up with some bloke wanting his dick sucked, years ago? :unsure: Wow.

Anyway; I need a gennie. Know practically nothing about them, really. Maybe 'anything' thrown on here will be of help to the next one to look for information?

Hard to know where to start. What do You need to know? Looking at running a 2 x 2ish Spiderfarmer 100Watt light. Factor in the peripherals? (No 'Midifiers). Snatching ~ what? 300W. draw ~ out of the air? That would suggest a ~ probable ~ 500W machine. I think. Is that a monster?

Only, I once had one of those big things, in a frame? Much weight as a man wants to be lugging about in a wheel barrow. And, I'm sure That fucker ..... well, did it get the small freezer running? I mean, I think it lasted 24 or so hours. But, I think the freezer drained the tank. Dunno if it ever got cold enough to sit still. I wasn't impressed, anyway.

Saying that? How much does a small, under counter freezer take? Compared to a small set up? I'd be looking at eight to twelve hours. After that? Fucked. Just like anyone. But, our power cuts tend to be eight hour affairs.

What's to know, please, guys in the know? :yep:

Small generator equals small fuel tank and If it’s running at more than 2 thirds output will drink fuel. How you going to fuel it ?  Personally I’d go for a lpg of noise is an issue.  

• Thanks 1

probable ~ 500W machine. I think. Is that a monster

T'is a baby.As mentioned above LPG (propene) would be your best bet,too small for diesel to be efficient ,and petrol will cost a fortune.Honda multi fuel invertor gennys are a safe bet and pretty quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

Small generator equals small fuel tank ..... 

Thanks, Arthur.  Well, noise wouldn't be the greatest issue. It's not like I'm in a bed sit, and I'm deaf as fuck, anyway! 😂

Small fuel tank? How small might we be talking? How often ~ ye know, rough as fuck rule of thumb ~ does one expect to be filling the thing? I mean; Factoring in my imaginary ' 8 hours @ 300W. ' sort of run times. Any ideas, please?

Fuel it? What ever it needs, I guess? I can get petrol or diesel. " LPG "? 'Gas', isn't it? I can get that! Fuck, yeah! I'd Love a gennie that ran on that shit! Petrol Really fucks me up! Every petrol device I get, I'll fuck up. Stale fuel? Something like that. I like animals. Oil does my head in! 😬

3 minutes ago, Themadhippy said:

T'is a baby.

Is it??? Bonus! :D Ooh! At this rate then, I could sit in the dark, vaping myself into a coma, as well as keeping the growing going!

I Likey! :yes:

And, you, too, say gas? Fuck, yeah! Back to Tom's I go! :yep:

Whoah! Right, yeah ....! :D Top of the list, gentlemen, we have; Champion, 2,000W Dual fuel, Inverter, 80cc, 11 hour run time, true sin..... I stopped reading, there. £400.00.

Ye's? No's? Anything? :)

Posted (edited)

It’s hard to say fuel consumption on a small generator without specs should say fuel tank size somewhere.  The old diesel 12 kw we used to use would use maybe four large Jerry  cans over maybe 18 hrs but was run flat out lol 

I’ve also seen cheap ones not do the job required. Honda engines good. Brings and Stratton not  so good. 

Edited by Arthur Mix

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

The old diesel 12 kw we used to use would .....

:shock: Oh, the fucking Horror!!! Sound just like that beast of a thing I had! Ye could practically stand there, pouring the petrol in as it ran! Fucking thing!

Wonder how much gas my Champion prospect, above, takes, in its 11 hours? Good point! 🤔

500w genny is not much power at all ..... 1500w would be a min if I was going the genny way, less strain ... also i would be checking out a genny that will come on when your main power goes off, more expensive but savings in the long run... and you may need to get a leccy guy in to wire it into the main supply ... basically it's a trip switch.

Diesel .... are you skilled in priming the genny if it runs out of diesel ... that's a real pain in the butt, you can get self priming but again more expensive.

Also usually when they “break down “ it’s the oil levels low and the low oil switch has done it’s job lol 

15 minutes ago, handysmoker said:

500w genny is not much power ..... strain.

That's a fucking good point! Plus, we'll always try to push what ever we have to the limits. Then get used to that limit as the norm. Till it fucking belches smoke! 🙄

Diesel, I think, never really got past the first gate. Fuck diesel. And, as for Priming it? Diesel knows what it can do 😒

I'll go for electric start then ~ as befits my age and physical state! 😬 I'll get that with the money I'll save by Not having the local spark round. Fuck That! (D'you know my local spark? Ye wouldn't have him round)

Where's @Themadhippy? I had a look at Honda. Needless to say, all about their latest edge cutters. And priced accordingly! *Shudders* I think I should have established that £500 is really my ceiling. I'd like not to be looking at Too wild, on my pension! :D

Thanks, all. Lot closer already, look! LPG. Couple of grand+ output. Not a lot else to look out for, is there? 😐

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/07/2024 at 20:01, handysmoker said:

500w genny is not much power at all.

And, I expect, ye all think I just ask random, involved questions, just for shits 'n giggles?

Not a bit! :D Been busy as fuck, I have! @handysmoker I found a customer review, for this one, saying: " It ran a 350W air conditioning unit fine. " Fucker just never said for how long! :wallbash:

But: https://www.anker.com/eu-en/products/a1751?ref=select_your_product&variant=42109589291198

If that link works? 'Anker Powerhouse 535 / 500W'. Frankly? My finger's getting itchy! :D

People, elsewhere, had mentioned " Batteries " to me. I'd sort of brushed them off as brutal expensive ~ especially with the A name attached!

I think the penny's starting to drop: Dinky little thing, I can juice up and put in the cupboard. No need to involve my neighbour. No need for petrol. Surely, it's a contender? 😐

• Like 1

Looks like a nice little tool to have around .... i suppose you could run a small grow set up with it, i'm always wary of claims like 6x longer life span and 3000 cycles as to 500 for others.... at 500 watts it's not going to power a heater plus the rest of the equipment in the tent .... if it does, it'll be a big drain on the batteries and that'll kill them pretty quick ... heater will need to be much less than 500w, also their customer service sounds crap

from their website

This is the worst service experience ever. This is the 3rd Anker I've bought and with awful service like this it's the last one, I'm switching to Ecoflow. The order is R0601018679S. A week ago I've left 3 support tickets and not one of them was address. So my advice to those who consider buying an expensive Anker powerhouse, be prepared that you'll receive a cheap service not caring for the customer and the product you've bought won't be delivered.

Have they got a bigger one 750w-1000w with UK sockets ?    I would not buy this for a grow tent.

👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, handysmoker said:

Looks like a nice little tool to have around .... i suppose you could run a small grow set up with it ~ Have they got a bigger one 750w-1000w with UK sockets ?    I would not buy this for a grow tent.

😬 Fuck sake, Smoke! I Have 'a small grow set up'. 27 x 27", 100W led.

Ha! Here ye go! Guy on Disco just suggested I buy something " Commercial "! FFS! Peoples ideas just run Wild on this shit! I'm Not a fucking Millionaire!!! 😂

Here's my full reply to him. It's relevant here:

" 'Long term running'? I'll be looking at running it for likely durations of four to six hours.

I'd probably be doing That about half a dozen times a year. Max.

Even I know that's Thirty Six Hours a Year.

I want to run a 100W lamp and small fan. Not an electric blast furnace 😂 "

Regards Ankers cs? Tell me about it. I see that Everywhere! They are atrocious, in that respect. (Let them go over there, with Einhell, in that respect!) What can ye do? Gear's most probably made in China too. What can ye do? 😐 It's a fucking crap shoot, isn't it?

Bottom line? I Need a way to get that Grobe through these cuts.

Or else, I can't grow weed. Period.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chal said:

Fuck sake, Smoke! I Have 'a small grow set up'. 27 x 27", 100W led.

Well go for it then ....or ..... get a bunch of car batteries and an inverter along with a half decent solar charger

:hippy: