Good soil these days?

GreenVision

Looking for the go to soil ATM. 

I used to swear by Plant magic Soil Supreme, loved it. But when I went to get some I noticed there is WAY less places selling it, first red flag. Then my PM root stim arrives and its not the same, instructions say use half what it was before per litre, it's thinner and it don't have that hard hitting smell any more. I think the company was brought by G.A.S?? Maybe they decided they know better. Either way I think I need a different soil.

Its been a couple of years since I used soil TBH, other than an auto grow somewhere along the line... Or maybe even that was coco I can't remember. But the loft gets warm in summer and coco dries out sooo' fast up there, and we're on holiday end of Jul for a few days so I still cant have the hydro going just yet, so soil it is.

Is All Mix still a good choice? Any other good brands? 

Cheers.

Hey bud, been a while 😊

How bout mixing your own? Endless thrips and having to drive miles pushed me away from canna soils. I just use some Jack's Magic and cut it with some coco, perlite and EWC. Done me well for years now.

On a related note...

I've stuck with the PM oldtimer range for years. I actually think that at the moment the grow/bloom is the best it has ever been.. Not having any deficiencies at all. Cal/mg is a thing of the past. Just using grow to keep the mums happy and bloom through flower. Easy peasy... 

But i'm bored as usual so jacking this all in for living soil myself 🙈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Hey bud, been a while

Hi ya' mate, saw your name in the typing bit and thought "Could it be"? :eek:  Bit of a ghost here myself these day tbh but good to see another familiar face back  :yep:

I'd not have an issue with mixing my own, used Jacks before too I do believe, cheaper I'd imagine.

Funny you mention thrips, treating them literally as we speak. Only soil I've had for a while tho is my mothers so not sure if its just piss poor luck or the mothers pots are giving them off, that said I never get mites, touch wood, so I shouldn't complain. 

Take it easy bud. Cheers for the reply, I'll have a look into pricing etc on a home brew soil.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Endless thrips and having to drive miles pushed me away from canna soils.

I think it's the shops selling them and their storage practices that contaminate soils with pests rather than the manufacturers. FWIW I've had no problems with Canna but I still have bloody fungus gnats that originally came from a bag of mail order Clover compost.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I think it's the shops selling them and their storage practices that contaminate soils with pests rather than the manufacturers. FWIW I've had no problems with Canna but I still have bloody fungus gnats that originally came from a bag of mail order Clover compost.

More than likely bud. I tried a couple different shops but only 3/4. I think just as much as the thrips I was sick of either travelling an hour to get the soil or spending £15+ a bag to be delivered. It is lovely to not be dealing with the thrips though. Every single pot up they'd come back before 🙄

52 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Hi ya' mate, saw your name in the typing bit and thought "Could it be"? :eek:  Bit of a ghost here myself these day tbh but good to see another familiar face back  :yep:

I'd not have an issue with mixing my own, used Jacks before too I do believe, cheaper I'd imagine.

Funny you mention thrips, treating them literally as we speak. Only soil I've had for a while tho is my mothers so not sure if its just piss poor luck or the mothers pots are giving them off, that said I never get mites, touch wood, so I shouldn't complain. 

Take it easy bud. Cheers for the reply, I'll have a look into pricing etc on a home brew soil.

Only just come back round here myself bud, good to see old names popping up though 😁

Could just be that time of year, my mate thinks he just bought thrips in from his veg garden. Easily sorted though.

If it helps at all:

8 parts Jack, 4 parts coco (or peat if you can), 3 parts worm castings, 1 part perlite.

That's my current mix. Not saying it's perfect but will work as a starting point.

Hope to see you round more bud ✌️

Edited by SkyRider
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, latigid aikon said:

I've had good results recently with Canna Terra and House & Garden Bat Special.

The soil I sell most of (by quite a large margin) is canna terra, and whilst cheap, isn't the cheapest on offer. Batmix has always been a good choice, albeit a bit hot for young plants (apparently)

• Like 5

Biobizz Light Mix works perfectly for me, tried a few different brands but this one has been the best I've tried so far 👍

• Like 1

Biobizz All mix has worked for me. I have used cheap supermarket crap which Mrs Wizzzard thought she was helping with. Fungus gnats drove me mad. When chopped there were tiny black specks crawling out of the buds.

Total clear out needed. Never again.

30 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

canna terra

I heard whispers that they changed the formula a while back, heard it's gone downhill? 

It's fucking expensive but if you're in the game of reusing soil I would recommend Eco-Life by Ecothrive, it's formulated to be suitable for reammending over and over and has a lot more nutrients than normal soil so you save a bit on feed. If you prefer to chuck it away then I can recommend Biobizz light mix and H&G bat special, those are the only other canna specific soils I've bought, they both do the job although the light mix had a lot of twigs which some people don't like. 

Anything peat & perlite based should be half decent though, even just Clover straight out of the bag seems decent. Any issues with fungus gnats etc are likely down to poor storage rather than the soil itself. 

Edited by MindSoup

@GreenVision

+1 for H&G Batmix.

i have used it to germinate seeds and transplant seedlings into and it’s a little rough on them but they pull through. 

It’s good compost imo and has a decent amount of food in.

• Like 2

One consideration I forgot to mention about bat mix/special etc though, harvesting bat guano isn't very ecologically responsible, or so I'm told...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

harvesting bat guano isn't very ecologically responsible,

Is it better or worse than harvesting peat? lol

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I heard whispers that they changed the formula a while back, heard it's gone downhill? 

Granted, I don't use soil, so I can't say first hand, but I think that may have just been rumours mate, I sell atleast 500 bags a week of the stuff if it had gone down hill I think it might reflect in that lol 

• Like 2