Working Out Mg for Tapwater Ratio?

John'sMidnightGarden

Hi all,

In the context of adding a bit of epsom salts to my chalky tap water - the remedy I found for past issues.

I’ve been adding Epsom, teaspoon per 5l.  It solved issues but think I’m overdoing it.  Googled plenty but sometimes not sure how to word it or indeed what I’m seeking really.  So I *think* I am best to address the tap water properly, or at least with a bit more thought.

Going by the chalk aquifers in Kent I am
Calcium – 113.2
Magnesium – 2

Sulphate -1

I am bad enough at maths that I don’t know what I’m looking for – found an online calculator for finding consequents of a ratio.  It says (I was working out for the mg)

113.2 Calcium ( 3: )

37.7 Magnesium ( :1 )

Does this sound right?  X5 litres = 188.5… milligrams?  I’m not stupid, it’s fear really – so silliness then.  I just lose track of what I’m doing through maths.  Once I understand this I’ll have it concrete, really appreciate any advice.

I imagine I’d be making up a solution to add such quantities.  I gather the sulphate will rise with the mg from the Epsom salt.  I know “GA water test” but was hoping to crack this.  Hard to tell what’s really useful and what’s easy if you know how in this world.

Thanks!

Edited by John'sMidnightGarden
missed mg from suggested answer

Right then , im shit at maths too but ive read this enough to be able to parrot it....

Mix 250g of epsoms in 250ml of water as a stock solution.

Each ml of stock should give you around 30-35mg of mag when added to a litre of water.

Looking at yer ratios a millilitre of stock per litre of feed should bring you into the correct range.... I think...

:yinyang:

• Like 1

thanks mate!  I'm alarmed how much over I must have been!  Been doing it a couple grows I'm sure.  Really grateful thanks I'll make some up for tonight's watering.

• Like 1