VPD chart

screrg

I don't think that really matters TBH, other guides say you can use tap and thats what I used, that's just a random video grab.

Edited by MindSoup

On 14/06/2024 at 10:16, latigid aikon said:

I think that was @GSZZ and it made a lot of sense to me.

Aye that was me - VPD is the result of transpiration, not the driving force of it, light is the only driving force of transpiration. VPD is misinterpreted as some as a paint-by-numbers guide for environmental conditions and rate of transpiration when in fact VPD is a tool to measure water lost through transpiration which is very handy when balancing environment and plants. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Aye that was me

You're the only person on here whose posts I read in your actual voice lol (since hearing you on a podcast)

8 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

VPD is misinterpreted as some as a paint-by-numbers guide for environmental conditions

It's kind of understandable when we've been presented with things like tables showing "Recommended Leaf VPD" lol

• Haha 2

I always thought dialling in VPD was the gold standard of growing and something I'd been working towards. Lookng at the chart having it at 29C/30C in late flower and humidity at 65% goes against everything I've read before. I've been getting class results with 25-27C and 60-65% in veg and 28-30C and 50% in flower (LEDs in mud). I've just set the controller up and have it as above and am in mid/late veg (net about to go on). Is there anyone that is a big believer in keeping to VPD as in the chart?

On 13/06/2024 at 08:10, Larry Badgeley said:

@screrg

Setting up the controller is very easy and a fantastic bit of kit. First time I've used it this grow and it's been a real help in getting the environment dialled in. 

Aye, I've used it before but with just the extract fan controlling the temps and love it. Now I've got the humidifier set up top it's a thing of beauty to see the display tinkering with the speeds and keeping things consistently healthy for the girls. Like a kid at Xmas with the best new toy just there :)

Does anyone use distilled water in their humidifiers? Had a look at how to make it and looked a right fuck on for how much you would need. I'm thinking just use normal tap water and give it a good clean after each grow? My tap water sits in the middle of hard and soft water but unsure if that makes any difference to the buikd up in the humidifier.

@screrg

Tap water is fine. Clean the humidifier every 3 days. It's surprising how dirty it gets.

8 hours ago, screrg said:

Does anyone use distilled water in their humidifiers? Had a look at how to make it and looked a right fuck on for how much you would need. I'm thinking just use normal tap water and give it a good clean after each grow? My tap water sits in the middle of hard and soft water but unsure if that makes any difference to the buikd up in the humidifier.

Can leave a powery residue all over the place if you don't use RO water mate 👍

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2024 at 05:59, screrg said:

The inexpensive humidifiers I have state in the instructions to only use tap water

But doesn't that just mean, 

not to use essential oils and stuff like that?? 

Atb 

☯️

22 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

But doesn't that just mean, 

not to use essential oils and stuff like that?? 

Atb 

☯️

No - RO water can be as destructive to a humidifier as hard water can. RO is a a very strong solvent, it causes things it comes into contact with to perish. If you drink RO water, it'll kill you. 

• WOW 1

The cheapest and easiest way to check that your plants are transpiring properly, gently rub her leafs, they should feel cool, soft and velvety…..like a horses nose lol

• Like 1

I didn’t know that about RO water @Gsyrup :shock:

This is probably why good RO systems have a re-salting stage?

:offtopic:

Atb

☯️

• Haha 1

According to the Internet RO water is safe to drink but not recommended for long term drinking due to the lack of minerals.

So you can use RO water in a humidifier , you just have to bring the ec up to 0.4 with calmag before you start lol

• Haha 3