very disappointed with mephisto

LouisLitt

I've only popped 5 mephisto beans but so far had 100% germination rate, I buy mine direct

• Like 1
Brysee
3 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Do they only sell Autos?

I believe so mate yes not looked at them a couple years still got a few in fridge always found them reliable all round

sometimes the indica dominant ones grow short and compact but still a nice vape

• Thanks 1
mystic_roots
4 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Do they only sell Autos?

Yes Mephisto only sell auto's but they're pretty damn potent and are hardy plants.

4 hours ago, Brysee said:

I believe so mate yes not looked at them a couple years still got a few in fridge always found them reliable all round

sometimes the indica dominant ones grow short and compact but still a nice vape

You aren't lying, my Strawberry Nugget looked like she was starting to flower way early but she has along with the other, the most stumpy lot I've seen but they do go wide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Likewise,10 double grape ,6 popped ,one was mutant,bad show,knew looking at them they weren’t viable,that’s the last from them.

• Like 1

I have been growing mephisto for about 8 years and only had 1 seed fail to germinate which was about 5 years old. Never had any issues, just use the paper towel method, in the airing cupboard, that said I always buy direct. Sorry you had such a bad result but would make me questions seedsman and not the breeder.

catweazle1

Mephisto might be good at breeding but, possibly, naive about getting the correct internal moisture before storing... selling fresh basically. Sealing up 'wet' seeds is not good for germination potential in the long term. My homegrown seeds are sitting in a shallow dish in the open at room temps for a month or so. I worked for a seed producer and the internal moisture was measured, then decisions were made regarding its treatment if it was too high i.e it would go to the crop driers.

• Like 1
Bobcharlieeeee

New seed from Mephisto, i have no problems, i have had issues with older seeds / seeds not stored optimally.  Iv had more success now iv kept them in the fridge.

Soaking them for 24hrs helps i find

catweazle1
On 17/06/2024 at 14:21, Bobcharlieeeee said:

New seed from Mephisto, i have no problems, i have had issues with older seeds / seeds not stored optimally.  Iv had more success now iv kept them in the fridge.

Soaking them for 24hrs helps i find

Next time you get some, leave them out in the open for a month to lower the moisture. Wet seeds won't store well. 

i got like 5 strains and Double Grape, CDLC none of them popped

24 Carat, Sour Stomper, Walter WHite, and freebies Ripleys OG x Walter White popped

I was disappointed too 

Edited by OJAE
On 28/06/2024 at 16:11, OJAE said:

i got like 5 strains and Double Grape, CDLC none of them popped

24 Carat, Sour Stomper, Walter WHite, and freebies Ripleys OG x Walter White popped

I was disappointed too 

Did you buy them directly from Mephisto or a seed bank? 

Also how do you germinate seeds? I’ve done several Mephisto grows and I’ve never had an issue germinating them and they’ve always been absolute bangers. 

I just wonder if all these exotic germination techniques actually provide any additional benefit at all over just filling a 2 inch pot with multipurpose and planting the seed? 

• Like 2

IMO unless the seeds old you shouldn't need to do anything other than bung it in some soil like you say, but I rarely know how fresh my beans are so I tend to do a 24hr soak in water first just to be safe. If I know they're old I find that a bit of seaweed extract in the soaking water definitely helps to get them moving again. 

• Like 2
Military Grade
11 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

but I rarely know how fresh my beans are so I tend to do a 24hr soak in water first just to be safe.

I believe that's best practice too mate 👍

• Like 1
catweazle1
On 30/06/2024 at 18:39, Stuart96 said:

I just wonder if all these exotic germination techniques actually provide any additional benefit at all over just filling a 2 inch pot with multipurpose and planting the seed? 

If the seeds are pretty fresh when sent out, then presoaking could drown them, especially the tissue method. I've just planted 12 skunk seeds. I planted them 1 inch (25mm) down into squeezed coco/perlite mix with only a bit of Epsom in. Temps want to be 20-24c. I like perlite, but it's not essential to a successful germination

large.3rdJuly.jpg.0e2599308538e4c127897274621fcf2a.jpg

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1