very disappointed with mephisto

LouisLitt

LouisLitt
Posted (edited)

Out of 34 seeds (various strains). I have 7 complete runts that won’t get any bigger than a few inches high and 16 seeds that didn’t make it out of the paper towel.   7 decent plants out of 34 seeds is fucking shocking 

I know what I’m doing and have never had any issues at all getting plants started going back at least 10 summers growing photoperiods or autos

*edit to Change 30 to 34 after looking at what I actually bought 🤬

Edited by LouisLitt
  • Like 1
  • WOW 2
stu914

Commiserations bud...never tried their seeds, certainly won't now...

• Like 1
mystic_roots

I’ve never had issues with Mephisto seeds not germinating but I usually just leave them in a pot of water in a dark and warm place. I occasionally get what looks to be a runt of a plant but they usually have a fast growth spurt and overtake the healthier looking one. 

I know autos like it to be considerably warmer than photoperiods, having to maintain nearly 30 degrees certainly uses more energy. 

• Like 2
LouisLitt

Tbh people seem to love them and obviously it’s possible i did something wrong but honestly popping a seed isn’t rocket science.  I definately won’t be using them again

LouisLitt
1 minute ago, mystic_roots said:

I’ve never had issues with Mephisto seeds not germinating but I usually just leave them in a pot of water in a dark and warm place. I occasionally get what looks to be a runt of a plant but they usually have a fast growth spurt and overtake the healthier looking one. 

I know autos like it to be considerably warmer than photoperiods, having to maintain nearly 30 degrees certainly uses more energy. 

I didn’t actually pop all the seeds at once and wasn’t intending to use them all this summer.  I’m sure the 7 runts are runts because they have been going 2/3 weeks longer than the few decent plants I have and the younger ones are like double the size of the runts already.  

Brysee

Never had a problem with them myself not grown any for a couple of years but used to just pop them in the garden found them very robust and nice to vape 

Lubdub

Same, have had good results with them, definitely a couple of runts but not sure if that's any different to most other auto breeders. 

Maybe it's worth dropping them an email about it?

• Like 1
LouisLitt
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lubdub said:

Same, have had good results with them, definitely a couple of runts but not sure if that's any different to most other auto breeders. 

Maybe it's worth dropping them an email about it?

I actually did contact seedsman who I bought them off when out of the first 10 seeds I tried the 4 “3 bears OG” didn’t even crack their shells anfter 5 days in a wet paper towel next to my router and got that pack replaced.  Feel like my chances of getting the rest replaced understandably arnt very high and it’s been so much fucking about I don’t actually know which strains have failed.

I’m not that fussed about the money and i just about have enough plants going to hopefully get some sort of harvest.  Just a warning to anyone considering using mephisto, at least in my experience are much harder to get started than these breeders:

autos: 

sweet seeds

Dinafem 

Dutch passion passion

seedsman own brand 

photos:

true canna 

connoisseur genetics

trichrome jungle

random bag seeds

not all of the listed above produced amazing bud and every chance the final quality of the mephisto plants I currently have going might be great im just warning people they might be disappointed considering the way this brand are held up as the elite of autos  

*edit bad-bag

Edited by LouisLitt
  • Like 1
OldFord

Gutted for you mucker !      Not a very good intro to the brand for sure.

I have no 1st hand experience with them ,  seen some nice grows.

Whats the plan now cultivar wise ?        

Lubdub

It's a lot of seeds to lose @LouisLitt, I understand the frustration towards them. Definitely try get a seed reimbursement to lessen the sting, might be luckier next time as well.

• Like 1
LouisLitt

No idea what strains I a tuall have going currently as labels have been mixed up/not bothered with once I started loosing seeds as I was reusing the pots I had already prepaired and labeled with the strain names I had expected to be planting.

im considering popping some jungle Trichome photo seeds I have in a week or 2.  Obviously they will be smaller plants than would be ideal by the time they start flowering but that’s not a bad thing as I’m growing in my garden I don’t want massive trees 

• Like 1
Brysee

Buy them direct From Mephisto you pay for 5 and get lots of freebies can't remember one not working for me but never brought them anywhere else 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too harsh on the breeder, you don't know how long the bank has had the seeds or how they've been stored. If I bought direct and they never germed then yes I'd be pissed off. I've had this happen to me when I've bought non directly (not Mephisto seeds though). It is really annoying but it's the reason I wish breeders would put dates on the packets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
mystic_roots

Agree with KC on that one, all my seeds from Mephisto I've had them directly from them and not a seed bank and they're quite generous.

I order 1 seed from 2 strains, but they double that and include a freebie and knowing Mephisto, they're usually pretty good smokes.

• Like 2
Amnesialocal

Mephisto genetics can be troubling during germination and seedling.

In normal germination ( random soil, container,etc) I had also few unpleasant results...including 100% dead when trying germinating in super soil.

But germinating with full attention:

- new soil never used before and appropriated

- right environmental parameters

I have always had 90-100% germination rate.

Mephisto love 24h soaking in water ( no need for peroxide, but you can add few drops of roots booster) and directly in some place where she will grow.

I won't give up a breeder for a bad experience in germination ... At least you want to miss what they have to offer :) ( and wedding, livers, nuggets ,etc,etc deserve)