Study Finds CBD From Cannabis May Improve Autistic Quality Of Life

Joolz

A recent study from the journal Pharmaceuticals found that CBD, an active chemical found in cannabis, may ease the symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder leading to improvements in quality of life.

Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition that can lead to differences in how someone communicates. It is also characterized by a heightened need for repetitive behaviors and routines. Autism can come with a wide spectrum of differences from heightened sensitivity to sensory input, to emotional regulation challenges, to seizure conditions. Current estimates suggest that 1 in 36 people are autistic. Still, despite a large population of autistic people, there are few treatment options for those with the condition.

This study follows up on previous research that suggested cannabis could benefit autistic individual’s social communication and quality of life. One study suggesting this, demonstrated a potential pathway for the effect, by showing in mice models that enhancing anandamide-mediated endocannabinoid signaling could enhance social communication.

Later, a human study on autistic individuals found that treatment with cannabis extract led to improvements in social communication, as well as quality of life. It also reduced factors like meltdowns, discomfort in crowded noisy spaces, and poor appetite. In that study, quality of life improved in 95% of cases, and communication improved in 85% of cases.

Piecing Together The Gender Jigsaw Of Autism

Some hypothesize that cannabis is helpful for this, because of how it activates the endocannabinoid system, a natural system in the body that serves a variety of important functions. Autistic people have been found to have lower levels of natural endocannabinoids, which activate this system. When endocannabinoids are lacking, cannabinoids found in cannabis may be able to supplement them to help trigger the endocannabinoid system and improve dysfunctionality arising from the endocannabinoid deficiency.

While cannabis is well known for the mind-altering effects of THC (a plentiful and highly psychoactive cannabinoid in the plant), this latest study used extracts high in CBD. CBD is a compound that won’t get you high, but can have medicinal benefits. To look at whether a high CBD extract would benefit autistic people, researchers used a retrospective, observational, and cross sectional cohort model.In the study, 30 autistic volunteers, aged 5-18, were given a daily dose of CBD for 6 months, and were given both clinical and caregiver assessments before and after the 6 months. The results showed significant improvements in communication skills, attention, learning, eye contact, and irritability, as well as improvements in quality of life overall.

2023 Forbes Under 30 Summit | Turning A New Leaf: Cannabis' Next Billion Dollar Revolution

Some did have negative side effects, such as irritability, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, daytime drowsiness, insomnia, tachylalia, self-injury, intensification of binge eating and intensification of obsessive-compulsive disorder. But these were mostly resolved by lowering the dose.

The authors concluded that their findings suggest CBD may be a safe and effective option for treating autism symptoms.

While these are promising results, they are limited by the study design, which did not use a double blinded design or a control group. The sample size of the participants was also small, and since the majority of participants were male, under 18, and had some intellectual disability co-occurring with their autism, it cannot be generalized to the entire autistic population.

Still, it suggests further research is warranted to look into whether autistic people could benefit from cannabinoids like CBD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyearlenbaugh/2024/05/30/study-finds-cbd-from-cannabis-may-improve-autistic-quality-of-life/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hole in the clouds

It definitely helps me sometimes. 
I don’t know if it improves my communication. That would need a brain transplant. Maybe it does. It calms me down sometimes and makes me take a step back to work out a neurotypical communication. 

The meltdowns and being overwhelmed yes definitely but not all the time. Helps me zone out in crowded spaces so I’m not processing every single fucking detail and becoming overwhelmed. Sometimes I like processing too many details though lol

The lower levels of cannabinoids is a new one on me though. Never heard that before. 

• Like 4

BrianSolley

The study's findings regarding CBD and its potential benefits for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder are intriguing. As someone who has seen the struggles faced by individuals with ASD, I'm always interested in research that explores new treatment possibilities. However, it's important to approach these findings with caution due to the study's limitations, such as its small sample size and lack of a control group. Despite these limitations, the observed improvements in communication skills and quality of life are encouraging. This highlights the need for further research to explore the therapeutic potential of CBD for ASD. On another note, some releaf patients buy cannabis online in the UK. This could offer a convenient and legal way for individuals with ASD to access CBD products if further research supports its efficacy. Overall, while there's still much to learn, this study opens up exciting possibilities for the future of ASD treatment and the accessibility of CBD products

Military Grade

I got 99 problems and CBD fixes about 86 of them lol

• Haha 3

BrianSolley

Wow, this study on CBD and autism is fascinating! As a parent of a child on the spectrum, I've always looked for safe ways to help improve his quality of life. Hearing about CBD potentially easing symptoms like meltdowns and social challenges is really encouraging. It reminds me of when we tried a more natural approach with diet changes and sensory therapies, which also showed some positive effects.

• Like 1

BrianSolley
On 13/06/2024 at 12:10, BrianSolley said:

Wow, this study on CBD and autism is fascinating! As a parent of a child on the spectrum, I've always looked for safe ways to help improve his quality of life. Hearing about CBD potentially easing symptoms like meltdowns and social challenges is really encouraging. It reminds me of when we tried a more natural approach with diet changes and sensory therapies, which also showed some positive effects.

Alongside CBD, therapies tailored to individual needs, like speech and occupational therapies, have been invaluable for our son. I've heard about SPAM REMOVED from friends who use them for other health issues. They speak highly of the benefits and the natural approach they offer. It might be worth exploring as another tool in our toolkit.

Edited by Joolz

babybloomer

We have a 23 live-at-home daughter who after many years has recently been "officially" recognised as autistic. Has many of the classic symptoms.. social awkwardness, limited diet(less than a dozen things she'll even try, let alone actually eat)

Cannot travel on public  transport alone, very little empathy, apart from for her favourite persecuted animal or people of the day, thinks everything is her fault and feels constantly under all sorts of pressure. She does work part time but gets ferried there and back by the missus. Tried CBD in isolate form and edibles and she settled on gummies, but she needed 3x 10mg daily to make a noteable difference to her  and because she didn't take them on stay-at-home days never built up a proper regime. Once she'd decided to not take them anymore there's no debating it with her, all black or white no grey areas. The one thing that has made a difference is her 4 rats, totally dedicated to them and treats them like babies...god knows what happens when they give up the ghost.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this study sheds light on such promising potential for CBD in aiding autism symptoms. As someone with a family member on the spectrum, I've seen firsthand the challenges they face with communication and sensory sensitivities. I've found that small adjustments, like calming environments or natural supplements, can make a world of difference.

On 13/06/2024 at 12:10, BrianSolley said:

1 hour ago, Bastisofe said:

Wow, this study sheds light on such promising potential for CBD in aiding autism symptoms. As someone with a family member on the spectrum, I've seen firsthand the challenges they face with communication and sensory sensitivities. I've found that small adjustments, like calming environments or natural supplements, can make a world of difference.

are you two a double act ?

• Haha 3