Recommend a Hydroponic system

Bobcharlieeeee

So im currently using Autopots, and every grow i have encountered yellow leaves and generally sick looking plants. i can grow plants fine when they are not in the pots, watering coco daily with run off discarded. but as soon as i put them in the autopots they start to go yellow and i have problems.

Anyway, im giving up with the autopots, fed up of them. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the bottom feeding thing. im not entirley sure they are going through propper wet / dry cycles. but that doenst matter anymore as im binning it off!

Anybody recommend me a hydroponic system to move onto?  

Ideally id like to DIY a system, maybe utilizing as much of the auto pot equipment as possible, as i feel like iv wasted money on the autopots. 

I dont really want anything that needs a pump, but will look into it if i need to. I will be growing 4 plants. 

Im thinking of raising the level of the autopot res above the plants, putting drippers in the tops of the pots. and using a timer to drip feed the plants? with run off to waste. 

Anyone help me out?  

• Like 1

Hello mate not sure on these auto pots  but just a thought do you mix your nutes in your res for the auto pots does it have a air stone or pump of some sort to keep the nutes inside circulating because surely if the nutes are just left to settle the salts would sit at the bottom of your res meaning it would be the first to come out to the pots if that makes sense ? 

1 minute ago, Greenfingers95 said:

Hello mate not sure on these auto pots  but just a thought do you mix your nutes in your res for the auto pots does it have a air stone or pump of some sort to keep the nutes inside circulating because surely if the nutes are just left to settle the salts would sit at the bottom of your res meaning it would be the first to come out to the pots if that makes sense ? 

I used to use a a circulation pump on a timer, but many people told me it wasn't necessary. i think it was also raising my ph

Hmm how strange I would have thought circulation would be key I mean in any set up you can get ph fluctuating it’s trial and error untill you find the sweet spot. Few of my mates had trouble at first with the rhizo sacks with salt buildup and found that not leaching the coco till runoff now and then was the cause but I’m sure somone on here will point you in the right direction with a system. I’m no expert on these I’ve allways just stuck to hand feeding then made the move years ago to Dwc because getting rid of the coco was becoming a nightmare. 

55 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Anyone help me out?  

Have a look in my profile bud, "mish mash" and "gavie" should give you some ideas.

You can use pretty much all the gear you have now to diy a system...tag me if I can help...:yep:

Top spin drippers and medusa trays was a game changer for me

I grow in a attic so managed to just run my drain off trays on gravity and didn't use the brain as I didn't want to rely on the pump to get rid of my waste just incase it ever failed

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Anyway, im giving up with the autopots, fed up of them. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the bottom feeding thing. im not entirley sure they are going through propper wet / dry cycles. but that doenst matter anymore as im binning it off!

This is something I hear about autopots all the time, but other people  have brilliant success. I've never used them before myself but I'm convinced the issues people experience are down to user error. Are you hand watering until the pots are fully rooted? Using the recommended medium and nutrients etc? 

This might come across as quite patronising but I say this because if you are having issues that are caused by you not using this system properly, you'll probably have issues with any system. Yeah definitely patronising, take it or leave it lol

E2A might as well double down lol. It's all from a good place.... 

Edited by MindSoup

1 hour ago, cannaboy_420 said:

Top spin drippers

They look good, would they work off gravity pressure? do you need a manifold for each pot? or do multiple plants use one manifold? 

@MindSoup I hand water until they are more than rooted, and only put them in the autopots once they are a decent size. Im actually abit paraoind about turning the system on, so i tend to wait longer than needed to MAKE SURE The pots are rooted. 

Hand watering, the plants look good. 

I know it comes from a good place, but iv sqeezed and inserted and reinserted the silicone seals a million times. Leveled each tray to within an inch of its life. Cleaned and claned and cleaned. When its time to give up you give up, my time is worth more than the autopots at this stage.  

Yeah fair enough geez. Just baffles me as to why they work for some and not for others. 

IWS XL been really good have many systems but IWS as been a game changer only problem with is the pipes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

They look good, would they work off gravity pressure? do you need a manifold for each pot? or do multiple plants use one manifold? 

Each manifold comes with 12 dripper lines so if you were growing 4 plants you could have 3 drippers per pot, they use a pump to feed them and I have that set on a timer, very reasonably priced too 

20 minutes ago, gavlp20 said:

IWS XL been really good have many systems but IWS as been a game changer only problem with is the pipes 

whats wrong with the pipes?

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

whats wrong with the pipes?

In my bloody way all the time have rearranged the room all around I figured the best way is to have one pipe out and one return so two pipes plus it stops any blockages not that have had any

Avoid " GreenairUK " like the fucking plague. Don't go there.