Air con units...

Calypsos

You might find with some insulation you don't even need the air con, I've never had to use one so far and I've only got the rockwool stuff inbetween all the joists. Bonus is it will help in winter too. But like Slippy says, don't bother trying to dry up there, it will just ruin it all (at least without air con).

Just remembered this old thread from last year. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Slippy One said:

How well insulated is the loft? Biggest AC will do fuck all without 100mm rockwool on every surface. 

Get some sun grown buds going, plenty of outdoor strains or maybe grow enough over winter if you hate large leccy bills. Drying your expensive harvest in a hot loft is also the quickest way to burn off all those subtle terps aka hay making. Bud dried over winter are better by far. Then again, there's always that fridge curing cabinet thread that might work for drying.. 

I'm a room inside a room up there basically..

I  won't have the room to run air con inside the groom as its tight enough as it to get in and water at times.

Its well insulated but ive seen temps of 23.8/24 over the last few days (from 2 til 5ish as sun comes over the ridge line), which isnt great as ive got a run drying atm. My logic was to run an AC unit in the spare room below where the intake sucks air from so atleast the air being draw in it much cooler? Im starting to think i may have to stock the jars and just start another run in September time and ditch a summer run!

Here is the build...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Calypsos said:

Im starting to think i may have to stock the jars and just start another run in September time and ditch a summer run!

I'm thinking the same tbh, this way I don't have to run the dehumidifier in my bedroom over the summer as that thing kicks out a load of heat, and will let me customise my dribe a bit more over the summer.

Will still have the air con running it the living room tho for me and the cats lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calypsos said:

Im starting to think i may have to stock the jars and just start another run in September time and ditch a summer run!

Here is the build...

The growing bit is easy and cheap during summer (little to no heating), but gets ruined by sub par drying conditions. There's some great UK strains full of flavour that harvest end of September (when it's cooler), and there's the idea of using a winecooler to dry/cure, which probably sounds easier than it is after you've voided the warrantee and whacked a cheap dehum in there (less room for buds).

Don't fight nature, work with it. :yep:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Calypsos  is this an option for you? Drying the buds hanging inside a big cardboard box in your spare room in your house and connect the ducting to you intake of you attic from the box to manage the smell?

At least this way the air pulled through the box would be cooler and even cooler if you have air con in the house rather than the attic.

Something like this

large.20231005_193445.jpg.2e8b73cac2acf179f64ac2a3e86c85af.jpg

Ditching the summer run would be easier if you have enough weed to last you.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

which probably sounds easier than it is

I honestly found the whole concept and build process incredibly simple, but it does seem to have absolutely baffled/overwhelmed people so maybe you're right. You can only fit about a bar (as in it'll be a bar when it's dry) in one though, so some people would need multiples and the costs can get quite insane if you can't find second hand wine coolers. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Calypsos if you're just worried about drying the buds and you plan to crop less than a bar at a time then this is the solution. 

It's not retard proof though, as you'll see from all the comments lol. You also don't have to drill a hole and void your warranty if you don't want to, plenty of people have just run the cables through the seal on the door. :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone with a tent over 80cm square would need a bigger cooler. And few people really want to cut holes in a new wine cooler. It would be good for post jar storage without the dehumidifier bit, but still cheaper and smarter to work with the seasons. I’d be keen for a wine cooler storage but my harvests never last long enough these days.. 😇

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well like I say you don't need to drill any holes and it definitely doesn't need to be a new fridge, I honestly don't know why anyone would do it to a new fridge when you can find them used for a fraction of the price. My one cost me about 75 quid to build, so if you did it my way you could happily build 3 or 4 for a lot less than it would cost to run AC all summer. Or you know, just don't fill your whole tent with plants, then you can run less light so lower temperatures and you won't have to worry about humidity either. 

Absolutely pointless using it to store jars IMO, just put them in a normal fridge instead. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Calypsos I've Dried in less than ideal conditions before like 22-24c over about 6 days, it was still decent end product(of course could have been better but definitely not the end of the world), so don't stress over it too much and don't dry in your attic.

As long it's dank to start with👍

Edited by Military Grade
spelling
  • Like 2

Just put my ac on for drying  🤷‍♂️ fuck it , I can’t dry over 20c lol 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2024 at 00:14, Military Grade said:

Current one is a Argo IRO Plus 13000 BTU with heat pump. The one the air comes out the top with a moving flap.

Previous one was electriQ 12000 BTU, this is the one that fired from the front 👍

I did have a Challenge one from Argos, while it was much lower powered at around 4k BTU from memory, it did a good job of a single room and was only about 650w to run so was decent for certain situations.

Was the ducting 150mm on these? I've got 2 tents with 150mm ducts venting into the loft through a y adapter so there's only one hole in the roof. If the ducting on the AC is the same I could stick another y adapter on one the holes on the current one and vent the AC out of the same hole. Want to get this sorted early next week as one tent is stubbornly above 30C at lights on atm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, screrg said:

Was the ducting 150mm on these? I've got 2 tents with 150mm ducts venting into the loft through a y adapter so there's only one hole in the roof. If the ducting on the AC is the same I could stick another y adapter on one the holes on the current one and vent the AC out of the same hole. Want to get this sorted early next week as one tent is stubbornly above 30C at lights on atm.

Hmmmm if one of the two fans is stronger than the other you might get back draft. Better to run 2 separate ducts or get a back draft valve although that could just spend most of its time closed limiting flow. 

Edited by MindSoup