Air con units...

Calypsos

Hi all,

These slightly warmer temps have forced my hand in needing an AC unit if I'm to have a run going through the summer, with being in the attic I've got no choice.

Need some pointers or feedback on some portable units if anyone has exp with them? Obviously not going to be as good as the real deal (fixed unit) but got to try something! 

Nice1

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had 4 different units over the years, 3 of them came from Aircon direct on finance, they have excellent customer service.

Is your attic average sized?

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping to run the unit on the landing.

I intake from the spare room under the groom(lung room sort of) just off the landing so hoping to cool the 1st floor of the house at the same time tbf! 

I'd just like to buy right once rather than fucking around. House ain't big and spare room is 7m2.

Edited by Calypsos
  • Like 1

That's a unique one mate lol,

I wouldn't be able to say with any certainty how well that would work with what BTU, my experience with Air Con is on the same floor usage.

There's bound to be some on here who done this before tho 🤞

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What I have found with single floor usage is you can bring down the temp a few degrees in other rooms, but the room the unit is it has the greatest effectiveness. That with lots of big fans moving the air around from room to room 13kBTU.

Not the answer but a bit of perspective on how effective portable units are 👍

Edited by Military Grade
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Possible way i might do it in your situation is getting a lower powered unit something like 4k BTU just for the attic and one for the room/area you want to cool in the house the most.

This way you could spread the BTU across the two zones without rasing the electric bill too much, and might even get away with saving the total BTU's needed, for example instead of a 12-13k BTU unit trying to do the lot, having 8+BTU's But spread across the two, Just and idea, i'm thinking out loud really lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks dude. Ill have a look into it. 

You recommend aircon direct?

Edited by Calypsos
  • Like 1

Just now, Calypsos said:

You recommend aircon direct?

Yeah mate, they have finance, They responded quickly to a problem we had and sorted our issues swiftly 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another thing to consider when picking is how do you want the air to be distributed, We had one with a front facing blower that really did push the cold air across a room, handy if you want to partly aim it towards another area like out a door. You also get ones like the one we have atm that blows out the top and has a moving flap thing to try and direct it forwards.

TBH tho i think i preferred our older one that fired out the front, but only for the reason above, both worked very well in the heat wave two years ago, Our living room the unit was in sat around 24c while it was 40c outside. This was with one of those fabric window exhaust kits.

You can also get ones that duct air in as well as out, this is stop negative pressure pulling warm air in from outside throught small gaps in your home, And while this problem does effect efficiency single hole units are still decent.

Just make sure you set them up properly

This is probably where my Air Con knowledge starts to end, I hope it's given some degree of help tho mate 👍

I couldn't live without mine in the summer, also brilliant for cooling the home in warm nights before bed for better sleep. (what ever sleep is lol)

Edited by Military Grade
spelling
  • Like 3

I got one of the b&q ones last year and sent it back, the noise was ridiculous and it didn't seem to make any real difference. I tried to insulate the ducting to stop heat coming straight back into the room off it but it really didn't help. So yeah if you get one don't get one of those. If I need a/c again I'll be rinsing the wallet on a mini split or just a proper built in unit. 

• Like 1

This was the pic i took in july 22 when it was 40c outside 😱

The ThermoPro in the living room, (There was a sale lol)

large.20220718_132916.jpg.2100b397897689d0a43ffed2aa756097.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Military Grade all bases covered, legend.

What male/model is your current and previous ones?

Edited by Calypsos
  • Like 1

Current one is a Argo IRO Plus 13000 BTU with heat pump. The one the air comes out the top with a moving flap.

Previous one was electriQ 12000 BTU, this is the one that fired from the front 👍

I did have a Challenge one from Argos, while it was much lower powered at around 4k BTU from memory, it did a good job of a single room and was only about 650w to run so was decent for certain situations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Military Grade said:

what ever sleep is

Some say it's as rare as rocking horse shit 🤣

• Haha 2

How well insulated is the loft? Biggest AC will do fuck all without 100mm rockwool on every surface. 

Get some sun grown buds going, plenty of outdoor strains or maybe grow enough over winter if you hate large leccy bills. Drying your expensive harvest in a hot loft is also the quickest way to burn off all those subtle terps aka hay making. Bud dried over winter are better by far. Then again, there's always that fridge curing cabinet thread that might work for drying.. 

• Like 1