Lazy coco growing using only pellets & hard water

Slippy One

• 1 month later...

Thanks for documenting this. I've just started coco and feel like I've made a mistake. I've looked at the costs of stepping it up with auto watering, auto waste recirc and moisture sensing an it's more expensive than diy RDWC. This swings the needle back towards coco. I'm thinking of this setup connected to a cistern with a shutoff valve triggered by a bilge pump. Any overrun would stop the feed and any flooding. No need for vast water tanks, just top it up with mains. 

On 22/04/2024 at 11:34, MindSoup said:

Yeah I think the mains adapter might be a shout. Obviously indoors there's the worry of a catastrophic runaway, but ironically I think the constant pressure wil actually make it a lot less likely you'll have one. 

Do you think the temperature of water straight from the tap would be an issue? 

On 14/05/2024 at 10:37, Slippy One said:

Quick update on the Ren in flower, all going well although I noticed she was starting to look pale in the centre so added a pinch of magnesium. Didn’t fix it, turns out she was getting 1300 PAR in the middle on setting 8 and getting too much light, so I lowered it to 1100. 

This time I’ve had the Blumats running amazingly well. The trick is to use them as supplementary watering, dialled down to accommodate my hand watering. When done correctly, and not watering for 2 days, lets me increase the drips in tiny amounts, which is kind of the reverse of how I previously set them. The hand watering is no stress and I can let the Blumats do their thing now they’re reverse tweaked. 

large.IMG_4012.jpeg.d0198240bbacbbd18d968644c3ef59b9.jpeglarge.IMG_4015.jpeg.4a7ea68b143fde4c220e1806fc9028e0.jpeg

3 weeks left. 

When I finally get to set up my blumats, this is my plan as well.. just to use them as a means to keeping the coco moist (I use osmocote, which I'm still trying to fine tune), and then giving hand watering as necessary

But doesn't that defeat the point of using blumats altogether?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

But doesn't that defeat the point of using blumats altogether?

Possibly, but whilst I'm trying to figure out osmocote, I see them as an aid to keeping the Coco moist. From my last grow with osmocote I feel like I had some deficiencies but admittedly there were numerous bad practices on my behalf as a result of not having grown for a good few years

Posted (edited)

Why not just use normal drippers or an auquavalve/autopots?

I've said it before but blumats aren't designed to work with coco and so far to my knowledge nobody has managed to find a way to make them work with it :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup

Blumats are fine with coco, like what has been mentioned, dial them down and occasionally hand water is the best solution I’ve found after 18 months of use. Still loads of time saved. 🥳

Posted (edited)

That isn't working "fine" thought is it lol. You can hammer a screw into a piece of wood but it doesn't mean you should.

Edited by MindSoup

Posted (edited)

Sure, if you really want perfect and predictable results, get a pump (and all the myriad of gubbins that go with it), if you’re a lazy fucker, use blumats and water by hand once or twice a week. Simples.

If your style is Blumats in overly complicated bags of bacterial soil frappe indoors with meh results, don’t come hating on non soil based threads when your own results are rubbish grow after grow. lol 

Edited by Slippy One

Or just use an auquavalve lol .

No need to get rude geez, didn't realise I was damaging your ego, not my intention. I had stopped  following this thread but I got tagged back in, I'm just trying to stop someone following your terrible advice is all :hippy:.  

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, gm420 said:

Any finished pics from this grow @Slippy One

Yes, and a little update to current activities. 

Final week of that last grow: 

large.IMG_4113.jpeg.bda5755f8e71610735186212aa33261b.jpeglarge.IMG_4108.jpeg.1a21c2e7c68f09b615666adb45afae9a.jpeg

Current grow, this is the sister Ren of the previous plant, about 8 days apart. She’s 2 weeks into flower now so will update.. large.IMG_4551.jpeg.b901acf970d8d9e06a53fce98202eecd.jpeglarge.IMG_4651.jpeg.bffb889d113c75918cc2c74c5acac8e1.jpeg

So my biggest problem growing in this system is the organic no till hater who trolls hard to compensate for their lack of results for the amount of effort they expend! lol 

FTW. Blumat gravity watering, coco coir, beanstalk CRF and the easy life beats everything I’ve ever tried. I’m onto my 4th grow now, there’s been a few tweaks, and I do occasionally water by hand to add silica but that’s a minor task. 

Apart from online trolling, there’s not much that can go wrong. I can check the cupboard every day or totally forget about it for days when I’m busy and it holds its own. 

this system should appeal to anyone frustrated by conventional a&b ph and E.C checking faff that is coco growing. 

And the fact that trolls may find my advice terrible makes me think I’m probably onto something here. 🤣🤣😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Trolls

I guess they are only mithological.

Sure @MindSoup is not intended to trolling you at all:)

To me both of you have very good points, and criticism improve only the systems

@Slippy One 

- I guess you had problem with your tablet ( i.e besrstoker or as they are collled). Could tou find a valid alternative or they back in stock?

- I guess also you mentioned the possibility to have soil around the carrots in coco pots. This is what I did with my experiments in greenhouse...but I can say if worked or not better than dont have it.

- Are you considering to test osmocote or alternative tablets?

Following along with this thread wich is super interesting.