Water Cal/Mag ratio

mysticriver

Could anyone tell me the cal/mag ratio for Severn Trent Water supply?

Their website has a breakdown of trace contents found. Its supposed to be a hard water area. But it doesn't list anything for calcium, and doesn't have magnesium but has trace manganese.

The tap PPM is ~680 - 0.6-0.7 ec.

Im currently adding calmag as im growing in coco.

mysticriver 

• Like 3

@mysticriver I suggest you get onto the Growers Arc site and order one of their water tests.

The results will include the Cal/Mg ratio and they will suggest a course of action also.

As you are in a hard water area you probably currently  have more Cal than Mg so adding

Cal/Mag is probably just maintaining the status quo. Anyway, good luck !

• Like 6

these water companies are a fucking pain, mine has cal but not mag levels, i'm just guessing for soft water

you sure you are noticing results for adding calmag mate, i would love to live in a harder water area

i've just bitten the bullet and gone for a GA test, should have done it years ago lol

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 8
12 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i've just bitten the bullet and gone for a GA test, should have done it years ago lol

I paid for mine a week ago now......haven't even got the test kit yet :unsure:

• Like 2

Ok so that water test has piqued my interest , at 30 quid that could save hours of headaches.

My water is stupid soft but the exact make-up isn't easy to determine from the South West water website.

:yinyang:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

have you contacted them? they gave me this email if i have any questions

growersark@blueyonder.co.uk

• Like 3
2 hours ago, zen-ken said:

i just this minute got an email from them saying the kit will be posted out this afternoon and that once they receive it they will test and send an email with all the details, i would give them a shout mate, seems something has gone wrong with your order

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

Ok so that water test has piqued my interest , at 30 quid that could save hours of headaches.

My water is stupid soft but the exact make-up isn't easy to determine from the South West water website.

Its around 10-20ppm Calcium carbonate depending on how much rain we get (field run off).....Ill let you know the Mg content if the bloody test ever turns up :yep:

Ill give them a shout @ratdog

• Like 4
4 hours ago, mysticriver said:

Could anyone tell me the cal/mag ratio for Severn Trent Water supply?

Their website has a breakdown of trace contents found. Its supposed to be a hard water area. But it doesn't list anything for calcium, and doesn't have magnesium but has trace manganese.

The tap PPM is ~680 - 0.6-0.7 ec.

Im currently adding calmag as im growing in coco.

mysticriver 

It should tell you the calcium content by way of 'hardness' calcium carbonate or CaCO3 (Calcium element being 40%)

I was trying to find it for you but your water supplier is a twat like mine and hides the reports lol 

• Like 1

I only have a bluelab truncheon but according to that yeah I'm e.c'ing at 0.0 apparently. 

I think one summer recently I got 0.2 but the tap water didn't taste right at the time 

• Like 1

This is what you'll get guys. Worth every penny. Keep checking your water as mine can vary sometimes. Changed the pipes a few years ago and lost a few ppm somewhere....

we have tested your water, results and comments below. Values are in parts per million (ppm) except pH.

Calcium          85           

Magnesium     4              

Sulphate         49

Alkalinity         219

pH                   7.4            

This is a moderately hard water with medium/high levels of Calcium and Alkalinity and fairly low Magnesium.

This water is just on the edge of having a CA:Mg ratio of ok when using our hard water coco food and just below if using our hard water Hydro food. It's in the good range for soil.

We would recommend using our hard water food with this water (some pH adjustment will probably be required after mixing). For both the Hydro and Coco food we would recommend adding 1g of Epsom salts to every 10 liters of water used along with the food to bring the Mg level up to a better range.

Hope this was helpful any questions get back to us.

Kind regards and stay well

Martin for Growers Ark Ltd 

• Like 10