Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

For anyone interested, I had an email back from "HiFi Tower" (they sell the Klarstein coolers).

They said the Thermoelectric 28 bottle coolers won't be back in stock till late October. Personally I think Klarstein have stopped making them as they DO have 28 bottle compressor coolers in stock. 

I doubt they would manufacture both.

Im praying I find one by end of July when my grow comes down.

Edited by HondaPanMan
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HondaPanMan said:

For anyone interested, I had an email back from "HiFi Tower" (they sell the Klarstein coolers).

They said the Thermoelectric 28 bottle coolers won't be back in stock till late October. Personally I think Klarstein have stopped making them as they DO have 28 bottle compressor coolers in stock. 

I doubt they would manufacture both.

Im praying I find one by end of July when my grow comes down.

They might make both.  I heard somewhere that thermoelectric are preferred by the perfectionists, as they don't shake when they start up.  Compressor-based models do and it agitates the wine. The efete would claim that thermoelectric wine-coolers hold the wine in a more perfect stasis. Also, I think thermoelectric ones don't work as well for built-in units due to the lack of air movement at the back, which is something compressor models overcome.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

They might make both.  I heard somewhere that thermoelectric are preferred by the perfectionists, as they don't shake when they start up.  Compressor-based models do and it agitates the wine. The efete would claim that thermoelectric wine-coolers hold the wine in a more perfect stasis. Also, I think thermoelectric ones don't work as well for built-in units due to the lack of air movement at the back, which is something compressor models overcome.

You are correct and I was wrong.

I have been in contact with Klarstein and they said that the Thermoelectric model "HEA3-Barolo-28-uno" will be back in stock 15/07/24.

The compressor version is called the "Shiraz"

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, HondaPanMan said:

You are correct and I was wrong.

I have been in contact with Klarstein and they said that the Thermoelectric model "HEA3-Barolo-28-uno" will be back in stock 15/07/24.

The compressor version is called the "Shiraz"

Ahhhh. Is that what it is? Well I am glad they are still available for sure!  I've not looked back :)

I'm glad you'll be able to do the same when they are back in stock :D

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thinking aboiut the drain and a drip tray - could you put cat litter in a tray underneath so it drains into that (rather than a toewl or jkust letting it collect) would it capture the smell of the water?

I fitted a tube to mine and ran it out to the front of the fridge. I buggered the connection so it didn’t drain and filled the bottom of the fridge then leaked out the door 😂 I think a properly fitted top hat grommet would have worked. I didn’t have time and bodged it.

My solution was to just slightly raise the fridge on some blocks I had knocking about and stuck a tray under which can be pulled out from the front to empty it.

You don’t get vast quantities of water, so I think just making sure you have access from the front to empty a small container is sufficient.

Edited by NormanNugget
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

I fitted a tube to mine and ran it out to the front of the fridge. I buggered the connection so it didn’t drain and filled the bottom of the fridge then leaked out the door 😂 I think a properly fitted top hat grommet would have worked. I didn’t have time and bodged it.

My solution was to just slightly raise the fridge on some blocks I had knocking about and stuck a tray under which can be pulled out from the front to empty it.

You don’t get vast quantities of water, so I think just making sure you have access from the front to empty a small container is sufficient.

I have mine side on to the wall so I can access front and back, You're right thought, the ability to empty water out is important.

• Like 2

I put mine on bricks, took the catch tray off and slipped a plant tray under there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

I put mine on bricks, took the catch tray off and slipped a plant tray under there.

That's what I'm thinking - but lined with something like a thin layer of cat litter to absord the water and hopefully smell so I don't have to keep on top of it. It's the biggest barrier as Mrs Delta has a nose like a bloodhound and I'm expecting it to reek a bit :fart:

I think some people have connected a tube and routed it into a sealed tub. A clip seal Tupperware with a hole in it would work well. 

• Like 1

The dehu I was looking at has a 900ml internal tank but I doubt that's quite big enough but is probably enough for a wet kilo. I'm not that great at DIY tbh so wanted to minimize hackery. I don't want to have to open the cooler though to empty the dehu either.

6 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

I think some people have connected a tube and routed it into a sealed tub. A clip seal Tupperware with a hole in it would work well. 

I like the sound of that, will have some time between blagging a unit and the next harvest so I can figure it out then I guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

The dehu I was looking at has a 900ml internal tank but I doubt that's quite big enough but is probably enough for a wet kilo. I'm not that great at DIY tbh so wanted to minimize hackery. I don't want to have to open the cooler though to empty the dehu either.

I like the sound of that, will have some time between blagging a unit and the next harvest so I can figure it out then I guess

That's what I did and there is zero smell.  Absolute nada.  My wife is basically a bloodhound too, annoyingly so and even she didn't smell a thing.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DeltaMelter also the fridge itself creates moisture which drains out of the hole. Most people are hacking off the dehumidifier tank so it just drains into the fridge drain.

DIY skills required are minimal, you’ll be grand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

@DeltaMelter also the fridge itself creates moisture which drains out of the hole. Most people are hacking off the dehumidifier tank so it just drains into the fridge drain.

DIY skills required are minimal, you’ll be grand.

Oh yeah, sorry, I misunderstood.  The tuff-crate is fed by a tube coming out of the fridge.  It takes all the moisture that has dripped off the cooling fins of the internal dehumidifier (there is no longer an internal tank, it has been butchered and just drips out the back). That moisture runs into the gully inside the fridge with all the moisture that has condensed inaside the fridge too.  The moisture from both, drain out of the hole in the fridge and into the tuff-crate. 

• Like 1