Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

I didn't open it at all first run.  Second run I wanted to check a theory and so I did.  They turned out awesome regardless.  The ambient humidity was identical to that in the fridge before I opened it though.

I did fiddle with the RH settings about an hour before that spike. Seems coincidental, but I can't see how it could be anything else. Set the inkbird back to what it was before the spike and carried on. It soon cooled down and is happily ploughing on 🤷‍♂️

Those readings are from the Govee on the bottom of the cooler. The inkbird is reading 3 to 6% higher, but that's taped to the back of the cooler and has buds very close to it. All in all, I am reassured that the readings are fine and I'm not about to rot N ounces of painstakingly-grown green!

On that note, I've got a small digital scale I used to use when I was tuning RC cars. I am 1000% using them to get my final dry weight 😂

On that note too, curing in the cooler. Yay or nay? Arguably tricky to maintain a constant RH with the cooler pulling water out. Boveda packs and sealed jars, but in the cooler anyway to maintain temperature?

• Like 1

If you aim to undershoot, say RH 65% you could cruise in the last 3%-7% over a few more weeks.  It is a dry / cure solution. As it is sealed, you should be able to keep it on the money with almost no extraction during a temperature time of year at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

If you aim to undershoot, say RH 65% you could cruise in the last 3%-7% over a few more weeks.  It is a dry / cure solution. As it is sealed, you should be able to keep it on the money with almost no extraction during a temperature time of year at least.

It's not entirely sealed - the smell coming from the drain hole is spectacular. To the point that I'm seriously considering moving the CF/fan nearby 😱😂

That's not a bad shout though. I like that idea. I'm tempted to chuck one of the sensors I calibrated in there. They're both still hanging in the tent for now. A quick in'n'out can't hurt right? Said the bishop to the actress...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ashy said:

It's not entirely sealed - the smell coming from the drain hole is spectacular. To the point that I'm seriously considering moving the CF/fan nearby 😱😂

That's not a bad shout though. I like that idea. I'm tempted to chuck one of the sensors I calibrated in there. They're both still hanging in the tent for now. A quick in'n'out can't hurt right? Said the bishop to the actress...

Yeah sure, it isn't airtight, but I think it's close enough for the timescales we are talking about - x weeks.  Maybe it'd be good for a whole 6 months in the right ambient conditions and slowed at the right time.

I have a tube from the drain to a small tuffcrate which I use as a reservoir to collect the lovely smelling condensed water.

I guess that also acts as a buffer for me, whereby the ambient air at the drain hole is always slightly more humid than the air coming out of it. It keeps the smell in too.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah sure, it isnt airtight, but I think its close enough for the timescales we are talking about.  I have a tube from the drain to a small tuffcrate which I use as a reservoir to collect the lovely smelling condensed water but I guess that also acts as a buffer for me, whereby the ambient air at the drainhole is always slightly more moist than the air coming out of it.

Oh yeah, it's definitely close enough. I just wanted to people to know the stuff that's in there is smelling good 🤣

Cooler's on the floor for me because reasons. I've had to sponge up the water from the cooler's little tray twice already. I'll have to get back there and figure out a higher-capacity solution before the end of my next run! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, hence the crate.  It works well.  Best of luck!

• Like 2

Yes, hence the crate.  It works well.  Best of luck!

You've got the cooler sat on the crate?

How do you empty it without moving the cooler? Because f'k doing that again, ideally it's staying where the hell it is 😂

7 minutes ago, Ashy said:

You've got the cooler sat on the crate?

How do you empty it without moving the cooler? Because f'k doing that again, ideally it's staying where the hell it is 😂

No, the crate isnt huge, but I have the tube coming out of the back of the fridge and going through a hole in the middle of one of its walls.  It fits in and against the back of the fridge where the drain pipe comes, really well, so it nestles there comfortably.

It can hold perhaps 500ml to a litre.  It doesn't need to hold anything like that much in my experience. Jobs a goodun. It works like a smell silencer and I suspect nullifies the humidity issues of the seal breach that the drain creates.

Who knew I would praise a small tuffcrate for such a tediously long time?  Stoned...

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

No, the crate isnt huge, but I have the tube coming out of the back of the fridge and going through a hole in the middle of one of its walls.  It fits in and against the back of the fridge where the drain pipe comes, really well, so it nestles there comfortably.

It can hold perhaps 500ml to a litre.  It doesn't need to hold anything like that much in my experience. Jobs a goodun. It works like a smell silencer and I suspect nullifies the humidity issues of the seal breach that the drain creates.

That sounds ideal. Can I be a cheeky feck and ask for a pic or two when you get chance?

Might be useful for others in here, too

• Like 2

Yeah.  It wont excite you :) But next time I get to it, I will take a photo or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashy said:

On that note too, curing in the cooler. Yay or nay?

If it's not air tight it wouldn't be ideal as you'd be leaking your Terpenes away lol

Once dried in the cooler I reckon Grove bags is your best option for curing 👍

Maybe even a small amount of time brown bagging in-between.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

If it's not air tight it wouldn't be ideal as you'd be leaking your Terpenes away lol

Once dried in the cooler I reckon Grove bags is your best option for curing 👍

Maybe even a small amount of time brown bagging in-between.

I was thinking Kilner jars and boveda bags, then back inside the cooler with the temp at 20 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Kilners are OK too, if you dried the weed properly there's no need for Boveda packs, I wouldn't use Boveda packs while curing myself either, it's like they disrupt the natural movement of the remaining moisture in the buds.

I recently tried Grove Bags and I'm definitely gonna be trying them again this harvest, I had buds in kilners and some in a grove bag and the buds in the Grove bags were much nicer sooner compared to the ones in jars, and that was without heat sealing it.

I think it was @Revive who uses them without sealing too and recommends them 👍, sorry if you wasn't you bro🤞

You could put the Grove bags into the cooler 👍

I'll stop waffling now, late night Insomnia is boring, I need people to talk too lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Military Grade Fire away mate, it's all knowledge, innit? lol

So Grove bags, even without heat-sealing, back into the cooler at 20, is the way to go for the cure?

• Like 2

@Ashy Sounds like a good plan👍

I wish I had space for my own cooler, would be really handy this time of year.

I'll come and bring my crop to yours after yeah? lol

• Haha 1