Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

I wouldn't add fresh wet plant material in a closed space with already dry material. If they were a few days apaprt then maybe but I've had weed drying that has been in a higher RH later in the dry and ruined it. Not saying that will happen with the fridge but it is a small space. It will kick the dehumidifier back into gear too and might over-dry the already dry material.

I would trim what you have - give it a test smoke. If its dry enough then jar it up. Don't jeapordise your whole stash for the last plant you might not even like!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@NormanNugget maybe you should use your tent for that last one as it's already had a compromised cola and your fridge is quite packed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

First of all I wanna say thank you all for sharing all these Infos for building your own drying fridge.

Like many others here, I was also thinking about the cannatrol but was shocked about it's pricing.

Now I'm also owner of a modified barolo uno 28.

I used a Maltec dehumidifier, an inkbird and two small Pwm fans for some circulation.

If somebody is interested I can also share some picture.

I have one thing that's different for me: the fridge is packed now with two plants and the fridge is at 14c but my humidity is around 72%.

So I was expecting higher values and I wanted to dry over 10 days from 85% to 60 on small steps.

I found out that the humidity is reduced when the fridge is working to lower the temp but after it has reached it, it still stays low.

As I have water coming out at the back, I think everything is doing well..maybe due to my fans the humidity is lower?

I installed my humidity sensor behind the light, so on the top of the inside cabin. Most of you guys have it at the back but I wasn't sure if the low temperature of the backside has some effect on the values.

I have an additional humility sensor on the lowest deck, there the humidity is higher an in the 80s.

Looking forward for the finished product and again thanks for sharing this..it saves everyone who's interested a lot of money and the modifications are quite easy to make :)

• Like 2

On 20/06/2024 at 12:24, Ashy said:

Morning everyone! I have done the quickest, dirtiest version of this you're ever gonna see 😂

Step one: Grab the "Devology Portable Compact 1100ml Mini Dehumidifier" you had kicking around.

Step two: Take some tin snips and chop it up until it looks like this. Disconnect all the circuit boards, keep hold hold of that wire on the left - it goes from the DC input to the circuit board and you'll need it in a bit.

large.Step1.jpg.4f0cfe722031a357526b69fa67867828.jpg

Step Three: Realise you chopped the wrong half of the case off. Unscrew the peltier/fan block (that big black thing with the wires coming off it). Use the snips to cut away some supports that would foul the fan blades, turn the big black thing round and screw it back in. The fan should now be inside what's left of the case.

Step Four: Waco block all the positive stuff together and all the negative stuff together. I polarity tested the black/grey power cable so you don't have to if you use one of these DH's - black's negative, grey's positive.

large.Step2.jpg.173e0c8d5baa22f6997c34bc3118b9f3.jpg

Step Five: Stuff all the blocks inside the case at the bottom so they're not interfering with the gutter at the back of the cooler or the fins of the DH, and whack the whole lot at the back of the cooler with the DH fins over the gutter

large.Step3.jpg.8add1478e141f09c1115e5764a767fab.jpg

Step Six: Stuff the power cable and the Inkbird sensor through the door seal on the hinge side, plug everything into everything else as needed, then switch everything on and make sure it's all working

large.Step5.jpg.c1938df2d82496909eb15eb76bb1f2ca.jpg

Step Seven: Plug the dehumidifier into "WORK2" on the Inkbird because you're a spanner and forgot which socket does what.

Step Eight: Stand back and admire your incredibly slack but remarkably effective handiwork!

large.Step4.jpg.a332687708c8db20ee1d8c5e9dea899f.jpg

The whole bodge job took less than 90 minutes and at least 15 of that was finding my multimeter 😂

Only got five shelves with it for some reason so even if I'd wanted to cut the sixth shelf apart to fit around the DH, I couldn't if I'd wanted to. Oh well, no biggie really, with a 60x60 tent I highly doubt I'll even fill five shelves. Could always take four shelves out and hang the branches from the top one if I felt like it.

Yes yes, I'll tidy up the cables a bit, get the sensor in a more sensible position, tape up around the door seal where the cables pass through, etc, but all in all it was a complete piece of piss. If I can manage it without setting fire to anything (yet) or blowing myself across the room, any dickhead can do it 👍

Massive thanks to everyone in this thread that's chipped in with useful contributions, you know who you all are. No thanks whatsoever to everyone who couldn't be fucked to read the entire thread and asked the same 3 questions between them about 100 times 🤣

Hehe, nice work :)

My barolo also came with just 5 instead of 6 shelves..I got a 20% discount from klarstein.

But I made a custom number 6 one. I also just have a 60x60 tent, but right now the fridge is full with only two plants in it..but I had a long veg phase O:)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HondaPanMan said:

It seems the 28 bottle Klarstein cooler is now compressor.

No one is making Thermoelectric ones anymore above 15 bottle size, these leave very little room once the dehu is in there. 

My grow comes down in about 5 weeks and I may have to dry in the tent in the middle of summer. 

I'm beginning to panic now as I don't wanna end up with a load of hay.

Well I recently bought mine and its still thermo electric.

Also this is what klarstein is showing you on the Barolo page: cooling is thermo electric. So I would recommend getting one :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HondaPanMan said:

It seems the 28 bottle Klarstein cooler is now compressor.

No one is making Thermoelectric ones anymore above 15 bottle size, these leave very little room once the dehu is in there. 

My grow comes down in about 5 weeks and I may have to dry in the tent in the middle of summer. 

I'm beginning to panic now as I don't wanna end up with a load of hay.

Please don't take it as being patronising, but why do y ou think it is compressor based now?

Are you sure it isn't just the thermo-electric one with the cooling refrigerant grid on the back like I have? Badsad just bought one and says they are thermo still, from Klarnstein at least?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

Please don't take it as being patronising, but why do y ou think it is compressor based now?

Are you sure it isn't just the thermo-electric one with the cooling refrigerant grid on the back like I have? Badsad just bought one and says they are thermo still, from Klarnstein at least?

Yes, mine is from Klarstein. Has the grid on the back, but can only cool down to 11 degrees and it does this in a really slow way..just like the thermo electric ones do 🙏🏻

So I also just checked the type label on the back: there you also can find a circuit diagram with an info to the thermo electric module.

Edited by badsad
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, badsad said:

Yes, mine is from Klarstein. Has the grid on the back, but can only cool down to 11 degrees and it does this in a really slow way..just like the thermo electric ones do 🙏🏻

So I also just checked the type label on the back: there you also can find a circuit diagram with an info to the thermo electric module.

I have to admit, when mine came and I saw the grid and refrigerant warning, I assumed it was a compressor one after all, but like you say, it shows the design and it is very gentle in operation (and has no compressor which is a big giveaway).  I am hoping HondaPanMan is mistaken and that this exchange will clarify.

• Like 1

I was given the auction site link a few posts back 204821376169, but it says in one of the pics "compressor". 

• Like 1

That was previously the correct listing. As you’ve mentioned it seems thermoelectric coolers are being phased out. Perhaps the listing has been updated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HondaPanMan said:

I was given the auction site link a few posts back 204821376169, but it says in one of the pics "compressor". 

I'm gutted.  I looked and tried the manufacturers website for the code given and you are quite right.  I felt sure there'd been a mistake :sadwalk:

Somebody please remind/reassure me that we don't worry too much about RH readings like this from inside the fridge due to it being an entirely different method of drying to 'hang it in a tent and pull air through'? I worry, I can't help it, I'm a worrier.

large.Screenshot_20240625_235450_GoveeHome.jpg.3856492b95cbc8f29e6e9073f3784172.jpg

(No, I don't know what that spike was. Apart from that, it seems to be pulling down by ~2% a day quite happily)

Edit:

3 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

That was previously the correct listing. As you’ve mentioned it seems thermoelectric coolers are being phased out. Perhaps the listing has been updated.

Oh damn, I must've had one of the last thermoelectric jobs then. That's a bloody shame, is that. Maybe they realised it's only stoners buying them? 🤣

Edited by Ashy
  • Like 1

Yeah, that looks perfectly normal to me.  1%-2% per day is nice :)

Did you maybe open the door and cause that spike?

• Thanks 1

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

Yeah, that looks perfectly normal to me.  1%-2% per day is nice :)

Did you maybe open the door and cause that spike?

Good to know! I know it's been said elsewhere in this thread (Here we go again. hah) but I was worrying a bit.

Nope, the door hasn't been opened since I loaded it up. The temptation would be too strong lol

Here it is loaded up...

large.PrettySight.jpg.42d48565123697e48f9fa21bb552384d.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ashy said:

Good to know! I know it's been said elsewhere in this thread (Here we go again. hah) but I was worrying a bit.

Nope, the door hasn't been opened since I loaded it up. The temptation would be too strong lol

Here it is loaded up...

large.PrettySight.jpg.42d48565123697e48f9fa21bb552384d.jpg

I didn't open it at all first run.  Second run I wanted to check a theory and so I did.  They turned out awesome regardless.  The ambient humidity was identical to that in the fridge before I opened it though.

• Like 1