Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

23 minutes ago, Ashy said:

didn't mean with actual flowers in it, fucking hell!

Well that's a sigh of relief :hippy:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ashy said:

my fault!

Far from it geez. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2024 at 11:08, Slippy One said:

In that case, could you possibly run it for a few days with a temp/humidistat inside? Preferably one outside too (as it works on the temp difference). 

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the last 42 pages, but I'm keen to know if 1. these fridges suck the moisture out 2. how much does ambient room temp make and 3. do these fridges really need a de/humidifier to achieve 50-60%rh? 

If spot on, I'd buy one tomorrow, I'm just not keen to modify it. 😝

I have my fridge up and running. I have installed a DH in mine and run it for a while empty with a couple of trays of bicarb to get rid of that newness. 

With the DH running I can get it down to 45rh. Right now I have had the fridge on and the DH turned off and with the fridge set at 15c the rh is sitting at 85%rh. If you keep nudging the temp down the fridge peltier reduces the Rh but was the temp settles again the Rh goes up. Without a DH you are just asking for trouble. Mine is in a block garage. Ambient temps average around 16c and 70rh. You without doubt require a DH for it to work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to know. Apologies for my not reading the whole thread, as I’m sure it was discussed many times. It’s super interesting to know the way these coolers work. My company has a cool room set to 8°C  (workers need fleeces etc) and the big compressor cooler stabilises the humidity at 65%. I’m guessing the compressor fridges basically act like a 2 in 1.. 

Which brings me to my next moronic question: does anyone use a compressor type wine cooler and is the rh stable or variable? 

I really love the idea of a weed fridge! You could theoretically keep it fresh for years! 

Anyone care for some 2015 Blueberry Sour  Diesel? 😋😋

• Like 1

You can buy wine coolers with humidity control if that answers your quiestion, No idea if the ones i see are compressor ones or not tho.

Bloody expensive i remember that bit lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

I really love the idea of a weed fridge! You could theoretically keep it fresh for years!

I guess you'd have to add a nano-humidifier as well as the DH, to maintain equilibrium.

Its a lovely idea though :)

Could someone offer a TLDR; on why only thermoelectric coolers work?

18 minutes ago, darXound said:

Could someone offer a TLDR; on why only thermoelectric coolers work?

IIRC it is because Compressor based coolers strip too much moisture from the internal air, too quickly and crisp the 'erb.

People do a lotus cure (I think that one is called) in a normal fridge, but with the buds in paper bags (to reduce the speed of moisture stripping).

The thermoelectric model works more subtly so you can cool without stripping much moisture out of the air and use an internal dehumidifier to remove moisture over time, gently.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/06/2024 at 22:32, MidgeSmith said:

People do a lotus cure (I think that one is called) in a normal fridge, but with the buds in paper bags (to reduce the speed of moisture stripping).

I hadn't herd of that before, something for me to read up upon 👍

• Like 1

The first post explains why compressor fridges aren't suitable. Then every page in the thread thereafter has some cunt asking whether compressor fridges are suitable. Then another explanation of why compressor fridges aren't suitable follows.

Pick any fucking page 😂

• Haha 7

Morning everyone! I have done the quickest, dirtiest version of this you're ever gonna see 😂

Step one: Grab the "Devology Portable Compact 1100ml Mini Dehumidifier" you had kicking around.

Step two: Take some tin snips and chop it up until it looks like this. Disconnect all the circuit boards, keep hold hold of that wire on the left - it goes from the DC input to the circuit board and you'll need it in a bit.

large.Step1.jpg.4f0cfe722031a357526b69fa67867828.jpg

Step Three: Realise you chopped the wrong half of the case off. Unscrew the peltier/fan block (that big black thing with the wires coming off it). Use the snips to cut away some supports that would foul the fan blades, turn the big black thing round and screw it back in. The fan should now be inside what's left of the case.

Step Four: Waco block all the positive stuff together and all the negative stuff together. I polarity tested the black/grey power cable so you don't have to if you use one of these DH's - black's negative, grey's positive.

large.Step2.jpg.173e0c8d5baa22f6997c34bc3118b9f3.jpg

Step Five: Stuff all the blocks inside the case at the bottom so they're not interfering with the gutter at the back of the cooler or the fins of the DH, and whack the whole lot at the back of the cooler with the DH fins over the gutter

large.Step3.jpg.8add1478e141f09c1115e5764a767fab.jpg

Step Six: Stuff the power cable and the Inkbird sensor through the door seal on the hinge side, plug everything into everything else as needed, then switch everything on and make sure it's all working

large.Step5.jpg.c1938df2d82496909eb15eb76bb1f2ca.jpg

Step Seven: Plug the dehumidifier into "WORK2" on the Inkbird because you're a spanner and forgot which socket does what.

Step Eight: Stand back and admire your incredibly slack but remarkably effective handiwork!

large.Step4.jpg.a332687708c8db20ee1d8c5e9dea899f.jpg

The whole bodge job took less than 90 minutes and at least 15 of that was finding my multimeter 😂

Only got five shelves with it for some reason so even if I'd wanted to cut the sixth shelf apart to fit around the DH, I couldn't if I'd wanted to. Oh well, no biggie really, with a 60x60 tent I highly doubt I'll even fill five shelves. Could always take four shelves out and hang the branches from the top one if I felt like it.

Yes yes, I'll tidy up the cables a bit, get the sensor in a more sensible position, tape up around the door seal where the cables pass through, etc, but all in all it was a complete piece of piss. If I can manage it without setting fire to anything (yet) or blowing myself across the room, any dickhead can do it 👍

Massive thanks to everyone in this thread that's chipped in with useful contributions, you know who you all are. No thanks whatsoever to everyone who couldn't be fucked to read the entire thread and asked the same 3 questions between them about 100 times 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

For anyone with a small fridge and not enough space, a bit of threaded bar and some home made shelves make for very efficient use of space… I’ve got one more plant to fit in after this.

large.IMG_7991.jpeg.87b7bae9a77910e8eb05595e9ed390db.jpeg

large.IMG_8013.jpeg.a3ee4ea9c932ef9c9402bd53e49eccd5.jpeg

large.IMG_8014.jpeg.f2e1014505febd5813f1453282bc8fab.jpeg

• Like 9

Ooo, now that I like! I'll see how I get on with my 5 shelves but that's definitely an option

• Like 2

Anyone know where i can buy a decent size thermoelectric wine cooler in UK?

I have been searching like mad for a 28 bottle size one and it seems everywhere has stopped selling them and switched to compressor types!

Thanks 

Edited by HondaPanMan
Mis spelling
  • Like 1

There's a seller on Ebay ;) 

They get them from Germany iirc

Atb

☯️

• Like 2